Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Originally Posted by hunting1
Looks like Ruger is producing the Hawkeye in 243, 308, 30-06 and 6.5 Creed again in several configurations. Prices are pretty steep though.

At $1,000 are they still a good value? I think it is too high.

I agree, too high at $1000. I am betting them will come down some.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by hunting1
Looks like Ruger is producing the Hawkeye in 243, 308, 30-06 and 6.5 Creed again in several configurations. Prices are pretty steep though.

At $1,000 are they still a good value? I think it is too high.

Too high when compared to a Tikka stainless.

I agree on both accounts..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I either want a boat paddle 30-06 with sights or a new guide gun. Hadnt been able to find either.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Phoneman, just grab up any ruger 77 mk 2 or Hawkeye in 30-06.

No need in holding out for a rare or non-existant ruger gun. They're all made to thrash, modify to suit your needs, not collect.

The guide gun has too heavy of a barrel countour, and too heavy of a stock.

I just shot an older 30-06 Hawkeye all weather. The guy had the barrel cut to 21 inches and affixed with an necg banded front sight and necg rear sight.

He had a 2-7x28 Leopold ultralight in low ruger rings. It weighed 8 lbs 2oz with scope.

He's $975 into that scope rifle after gunsmithing.

I have modified a beater ruger to fit my needs. Went to a heavy bead front sight insert, taller rear sight blade. Pulled the synthetic stock for a $247 ruger hunter walnut stock. Weighs exactly 6.5 lbs without scope, 7.5lbs with scope.

Here in Alaska, I routinely go from cutting canoe trail, to scrambling up 6000 ft of elevation. Rifles look like sht after only 2 years.

Little ruger beaters are all I carry nowadays. You'll see more ruger 77's used by Alaskans, than any other. Suburbia Alaskans (anchorage/eagle river/wasilla/fairbanks) occasionally carry nicer hunting rifles. But even then, most of em have a ruger 77 in the safe, waiting for their kimber to fail.......

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07/14/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They shoot okay too, for what they are. I have $675 in mine, excluding optics.

Today, Fiocchi Field Dynamics 50gr VMax @200 yards. 1.25ā€. Not bad considering I just dropped it into that take-off walnut without any futzing around.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Iā€™d be okay with that.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am!

$.60 a round. I priced out the components to duplicate that load and it came to $.48 excluding brass, with a $.10 primer, $.25 bullet, and $.13 powder. All that work for $.12? Nope.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, for sure.

Hard to mess with stuff that shoots like that. You could fiddle fart around and never beat it by any real margin.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
They shoot okay too, for what they are. I have $675 in mine, excluding optics.

Today, Fiocchi Field Dynamics 50gr VMax @200 yards. 1.25ā€. Not bad considering I just dropped it into that take-off walnut without any futzing around.

[Linked Image]

Not too bad. I'd still glass bed it.. It's pretty simple.. really. Just sayin. My Hawkeye 223 rem did pretty good after glass bedding it. Never makes them worse, if you do it right it makes them better...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Great rifles though. The 1 in 9 wasn't bad..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I may try the breadbag tag trick the next time I have it apart to see if floating helps at all. That barrelā€™s pretty skinny though and it seems folks like Melvin and Barrett like full contact with those. I donā€™t bed ā€œjust becauseā€, only to solve a problem.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

No need in holding out for a rare or non-existant ruger gun. They're all made to thrash, modify to suit your needs, not collect.

I just shot an older 30-06 Hawkeye all weather. The guy had the barrel cut to 21 inches and affixed with an necg banded front sight and necg rear sight.

He had a 2-7x28 Leopold ultralight in low ruger rings. It weighed 8 lbs 2oz with scope.

I have modified a beater ruger to fit my needs. Went to a heavy bead front sight insert, taller rear sight blade. Pulled the synthetic stock for a $247 ruger hunter walnut stock. Weighs exactly 6.5 lbs without scope, 7.5lbs with scope.

Here in Alaska, I routinely go from cutting canoe trail, to scrambling up 6000 ft of elevation. Rifles look like sht after only 2 years.

Little ruger beaters are all I carry nowadays. You'll see more ruger 77's used by Alaskans, than any other. Suburbia Alaskans (anchorage/eagle river/wasilla/fairbanks) occasionally carry nicer hunting rifles. But even then, most of em have a ruger 77 in the safe, waiting for their kimber to fail.......

I've got an old MKII 30-06 lefty that needs the NECG front band sight and a receiver sight. It's just a wood/blue one but why not use it,, that's what it's for anyway. I just don't have any canoe or backwater rivers to cut my way thru where I'm at.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I really like the looks of the Stainless Ultralight in 6.5 CM. Does anyone know what they actually weigh? I canā€™t find any info on this model from Ruger. Iā€™ve got this new Burris 3-9 from Amazon that I have to put on something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ballpark figure would be 7lbs. The synthetic stocks weigh pretty much the same as the wood ones, but are pretty stiff.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Ultra Lights are a Sports South Distributor Exclusive. They're not being mass produced. Hopefully they'll sell well enough to make Ruger realize not everyone is satisfied with a budget rifle.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The Ultra Lights are a Sports South Distributor Exclusive. They're not being mass produced. Hopefully they'll sell well enough to make Ruger realize not everyone is satisfied with a budget rifle.

Thatā€™d be a good think. Those older ULā€™s were nice hunting rifles in my book.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was hoping they would weigh around 6 pounds, just about what the wooden ultralights did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ballpark figure would be 7lbs. The synthetic stocks weigh pretty much the same as the wood ones, but are pretty stiff.
Think the average weight was just under 7#.

Nothing really light about them other than the pencil barrel.

I had a synthetic stainless UL in 204. Definitely not what is ultralight in my book.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to get something with all that steel down into real lightweight territory. Best bet for something like that in CRF is a Montana or Hunter. No idea on the availability of those in these peculiar times.

My son has a Hunter. Pretty nice rifle actually. If Iā€™d found one before I did the M70 EW, I mighta bought it, although it might be a little too light for an old manā€™s .308. Shooting the light ones can be a little tricky. Mule Deerā€™s folded towel trick helps. IIRC, the M70 with a Trijicon 3-9 goes 7-12, just about right.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Bummer that they didn't run one on 223. Seems to me there would be more demand for that than a 30-06 UL.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Thats what id like to have. I like Irons on my rifles, try to stay proficient with them. 20" 06 with Irons and QR rings. Basically match my M70 375 H&H anmd my 77/44.

Nice freighter and see you got an echo saw. Just picked up a small one when i didnt need my big husky. Mighty strong buy for the money and power

Last edited by Phoneman; 07/18/22.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,480
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.