Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Since I got this new computer I've had to learn a few new things finaly figgered out how to cut and paste photos again. This hunt took place in late Sept. Probley be the last high country hunt this season. We both had to work Friday and took off right after work as we had packed everything the night befor. The weather was iffy with rain squalls rolling through every couple hours and lasting 20 to 30 mins befor rolling on and leaveing clear skys behind. Hard rain that soaked everything in a matter of mins. We drove hard flirting with a speeding ticket but never incountered any law officers and hit the trail head shortly befor 1800 hours got our packs on and started uphill, had not been hikeing long befor we were wet from the brush and and getting rained on and wetter. We cleared the logged off unit in short order and got into the timber were the brush was not near as thick and the going easier. Hikeing through the timber steadly up hill takeing breaks it soon started to get dark and I begain to doubt we would make it above the timberline this evening. What with the days rapidly becomeing shorter this time of year and the heavy overcast we soon had our headlamps on trying to make the alpine to set up camp. After just over two hours of hikeing wet and dark I called a halt and we found a good leavel spot to set up the tent fixed a spartan meal ate and settled in for the night. I truly enjoy the quite time with my son befor sleep overtakes us we talk and just enjoy the warmth off our bags and the shelter of the tent as the rain falls in the timber. Morning dawns clear and we rise from the tent with high hopes for a good day hunting, and find ourselves just 15 short mins from the timberline and aren't into the alpine for more than another 15 befor we spot deer. Three Does with a nice buck but not the one were looking for. The day is promising as we hunt along we see many deer they are up and feeding as they were not able to feed last night and probley just hunkered down due to weather. We finaly make it to the very top and I split off to the left of Mike where I can fill my water bottle from a melting snow bank and drink my fill. Water bottle full I start working my way over towards where I last saw my son only to find him rushing to find me or acturally my spotting scope. He had spotted a group of 4 bucks and was excited, wanting to look them over. We belly crawled to the edge of the ridge and set up the spotting scope with out disturbing them and started to look them over,Mike was extremly excited about one in paticular but we never did get a good look at him as he chose to disappear into some brush never to be seen again. I spoke to Mike about one of the bucks being a small 4x4 with both eyeguards and decided to take him and Mike decided if I was to take him he would take the small 3x3 with him rather than hunt on. We set up for the shot and My buck dropped the sound of the shot was not quite gone when Mike fired and his dropped. Two quick kills not 3 seconds apart. Mike and I have hunted together many times over more than a few years but this is the first time we have taken bucks together side by side and it made for a memorable hunt. I am extremly proud of my son and of the hunter he has become. He passes many animals in search of better qualtiy ones and does not feel the need to kill eveything he sees. Many times he comes home empty handed and very satisfied. He can spot and stalk deer chosening to pass on tham and they never know he was ever there after he has moved on. Here is a couple pics. The only time we got to pose side by side with our bucks. I hope you enjoyed this story. I enjoyed liveing it and telling it. D.E.C.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I see a blank post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see a life being lived extremely well. Kudos to the both of ya.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very cool Dennis....congrats to you both.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Congrats on a great hunt!

Wild Sheep Foundation Life Member
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats what life is all about!
Congrats, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Luck favors the prepared.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
cool! WTG!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle and bullet details? Sounds like a great time, congrats!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Good job. Even better time in the field spent with your son. It always makes it better when you got some nice bucks down too!

Joseph

Joseph
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,125
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.