Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Phoneman, just grab up any ruger 77 mk 2 or Hawkeye in 30-06.

Question for you guys that have used both - are the Hawkeye actions any smoother than the MKII? Hawkeye actions are similarly made from "investment grade castings"?

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My SS MKII is slicker than snot….my Hawkeye SS is taking its time. Good rifles for what they are.

Yup.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKduck
My SS MKII is slicker than snot….

My experience with the MKII (sample of one) is the exact opposite . . . .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My SS Hawkeye is the antithesis of slick. I like it, and it works well, but it feels rough when compared to every other bolt gun I have ever owned.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Question for you guys that have used both - are the Hawkeye actions any smoother than the MKII? Hawkeye actions are similarly made from "investment grade castings"?

My Mk II Stainless is really smooth. My Hawkeye is really rough.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a couple - a 7mm-08 and a 35 Whelen. I've had good luck with both. I wouldn't mind adding a new .30-06 to split the difference and complete the set.

Have any of you laid eyes on the ones currently shipping? I have two main questions:
1) Is the stock the same as it has always been? As others have mentioned, it's relatively stiff for a 'regular' synthetic stock.
2) What is the finish like? I would prefer something in between the crazy-shiny early MkIIs and the nearly-bead-blasted look of the later Hawkeye synthetic stainless rifles. It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures I've seen online of new ones.

Thanks,

SR

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Nope. And I've owned a bunch of Mk II's. With that said my Hawkeye is my favorite

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My MK2 is smooth enough. The last Hawkeye I had was rough as hell and made the brass look like it had been in a fight with a wildcat.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKduck
My SS MKII is slicker than snot….

My experience with the MKII (sample of one) is the exact opposite . . . .

Most of them were rough as corn cobs. If they are slick, then they may have been polished out by guys like me that hate how rough they are. I'll polish one out until it feels like a model 70. Rework the factory trigger until they are a clean crisp and 2.5 pounds or so. There's beauty in a m77 mk2, IF you don't mind working on them a bit. Also saying they need to be glass bedded is a huge understatement. Some of the boat paddle rifles were alright, but 99% of the wood stocked m77's I've had needed glass bedding. Hawkeye's are slightly refined and the LC6 trigger is not as bad as the lawyer trigger on the MK2. Again, if your rifle has a beautiful trigger, that was worked over by someone like me, guaranteed. All m77 mk2 factory triggers sucked. Generally 6-8 pound pull was the norm.. The LC6 trigger on the Hawkeye generally just needs a lighter spring and you are good to go.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by miquel
I really like the looks of the Stainless Ultralight in 6.5 CM. Does anyone know what they actually weigh?

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ballpark figure would be 7lbs. The synthetic stocks weigh pretty much the same as the wood ones, but are pretty stiff.

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Think the average weight was just under 7#. Nothing really light about them other than the pencil barrel. I had a synthetic stainless UL in 204. Definitely not what is ultralight in my book.

Ruger Hawkeye 257 Roberts UL, Leupold VX-2 2-7X33, sling. 7lbs 13oz....plus three 257 rounds of your liking.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 308ld; 07/19/22.

Ed
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Phoneman

No need in holding out for a rare or non-existant ruger gun. They're all made to thrash, modify to suit your needs, not collect.

The guide gun has too heavy of a barrel countour, and too heavy of a stock.

I just shot an older 30-06 Hawkeye all weather. The guy had the barrel cut to 21 inches and affixed with an necg banded front sight and necg rear sight.

He had a 2-7x28 Leopold ultralight in low ruger rings. It weighed 8 lbs 2oz with scope.

He's $975 into that scope rifle after gunsmithing.

I have modified a beater ruger to fit my needs. Went to a heavy bead front sight insert, taller rear sight blade. Pulled the synthetic stock for a $247 ruger hunter walnut stock. Weighs exactly 6.5 lbs without scope, 7.5lbs with scope.

Here in Alaska, I routinely go from cutting canoe trail, to scrambling up 6000 ft of elevation. Rifles look like sht after only 2 years.

Little ruger beaters are all I carry nowadays. You'll see more ruger 77's used by Alaskans, than any other. Suburbia Alaskans (anchorage/eagle river/wasilla/fairbanks) occasionally carry nicer hunting rifles. But even then, most of em have a ruger 77 in the safe, waiting for their kimber to fail.......

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

see you got an echo saw. Just picked up a small one when i didnt need my big husky. Mighty strong buy for the money and power

I'll derail a thread any day of the week, to talk chainsaws. Worth way more words than whats wasted round here on rifles.

Yep echos are good saws. I rebuild 3-4 saws a year. Stihl homeowner saws are not very well built and are over priced. Neither are husqs. Most window-lickers see the "Stihl" name and get cookies monster eyes.

$600 ms 311 gets yah plastic caged crank bearings, plastic chassis, zama-chinese carbs, extremely low compression and a spur sprocket.

$550 gets yah pro-saw echo goodies: superior Japanese bearings & crank seals, magnesium case, walbro carb, high compression domed piston and a better spur-sprocket:

https://www.sawsuppliers.com/products/echo-cs-620p-professional-chain-saw

I do rebuild free stihl homeowner saws, but only if they were free. I give them away as gifts to friends.

I always advance timing, port muffler/intake/exauhst, go to a higher compression piston, metal-caged SKF bearings and an Oregon RIM sprocket. If a Zama-china carb, I always reach in my coffee can full of walbro carbs for a replacement.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a 455 rancher which i really dont care for. Just picked up a little CS355T. Great little saw for around the house and throwing in the boat for clearing paths with one hand. One of those 620P echos will be my next saw probably. Im not a big stihl fan. SKF is about 5 min from my house, or at least one plant is. Been in there many times working on their phone systems.

Last edited by Phoneman; 07/21/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Phoneman, yah I didn't care for the 455 ranchdressing.

Single piston ring, looses compression after only 10 cord of wood. Very thin/brittle piston ring.

cheap sheet metal shroud around the oiler gear. Have to rtv sealant it in place, to keep wood debris from wiping out the plastic oiler gear.

Low rpms, no power anywhere.

Heavy, compared to the worthless power-output.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07/21/22.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Phoneman

No need in holding out for a rare or non-existant ruger gun. They're all made to thrash, modify to suit your needs, not collect.

The guide gun has too heavy of a barrel countour, and too heavy of a stock.

I just shot an older 30-06 Hawkeye all weather. The guy had the barrel cut to 21 inches and affixed with an necg banded front sight and necg rear sight.

He had a 2-7x28 Leopold ultralight in low ruger rings. It weighed 8 lbs 2oz with scope.

He's $975 into that scope rifle after gunsmithing.

I have modified a beater ruger to fit my needs. Went to a heavy bead front sight insert, taller rear sight blade. Pulled the synthetic stock for a $247 ruger hunter walnut stock. Weighs exactly 6.5 lbs without scope, 7.5lbs with scope.

Here in Alaska, I routinely go from cutting canoe trail, to scrambling up 6000 ft of elevation. Rifles look like sht after only 2 years.

Little ruger beaters are all I carry nowadays. You'll see more ruger 77's used by Alaskans, than any other. Suburbia Alaskans (anchorage/eagle river/wasilla/fairbanks) occasionally carry nicer hunting rifles. But even then, most of em have a ruger 77 in the safe, waiting for their kimber to fail.......

see you got an echo saw. Just picked up a small one when i didnt need my big husky. Mighty strong buy for the money and power

I'll derail a thread any day of the week, to talk chainsaws. Worth way more words than whats wasted round here on rifles.

Yep echos are good saws. I rebuild 3-4 saws a year. Stihl homeowner saws are not very well built and are over priced. Neither are husqs. Most window-lickers see the "Stihl" name and get cookies monster eyes.

$600 ms 311 gets yah plastic caged crank bearings, plastic chassis, zama-chinese carbs, extremely low compression and a spur sprocket.

$550 gets yah pro-saw echo goodies: superior Japanese bearings & crank seals, magnesium case, walbro carb, high compression domed piston and a better spur-sprocket:

https://www.sawsuppliers.com/products/echo-cs-620p-professional-chain-saw

I do rebuild free stihl homeowner saws, but only if they were free. I give them away as gifts to friends.

I always advance timing, port muffler/intake/exauhst, go to a higher compression piston, metal-caged SKF bearings and an Oregon RIM sprocket. If a Zama-china carb, I always reach in my coffee can full of walbro carbs for a replacement.

Since you are in the thread derailing business what is your opinion on Echo and Husqvarna weed eaters?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In standard, these rifles are now available in 243, 6.5 Creed, 270, 30-06, 308 and 300 Win Mag. 243, 6.5 Creed and 30-06 in Ultralight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s a beauty.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wonder when all-weather models will be showing up on the webpage again.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The Ruger MK/II finish, both stainless and blued, are the absolute best finish! I own several and have zero complaints about them. Fine rifles for the money!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
The Ruger MK/II finish, both stainless and blued, are the absolute best finish! I own several and have zero complaints about them. Fine rifles for the money!

The new matte finish that Ruger does is horrible. I call it Sure Mar, because if you use the gun at all, it will end up looking like schidt.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 07/23/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with the guy that said a finish between the super shiny MK2 and the sand blasted Hawkeye. Generally I'll take a MK 2 and go over it with scotch brite and then 0000 steel wool to take some of the shiny away..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1Akshooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.