Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 1,842 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"business trip happened to take us past a scheels store, sportsmans warehouse, gander mountain & a cabelas.... strange how that worked...."

Substitute cabelas with outdoorsman or fleet farm and that sounds like my average lunch hour! Welcome back Dave! the davester, the dave o rama. The kid who eats paste! Ahhh I'm just shuckin and jiving ya. Made your uncle about pee his pants last night at The Boys football game....

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
how'd you do that? I heard the boy took a bad hit to the knee last night?

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'll have to send you the text and explain later. Yeah The Boy was the first man down on kick off coverage. He laid a hit on the return man but hurt his knee. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with it yet though. Get Better Boy! The team needs ya!!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
if that boy can't play he'll have to come up here & recover from injury in a deer stand wink

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave, Had a idea for a buck pole at your camp.

[Linked Image]

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Big Swish, you are the man!!!

I'll get started on the deer pole expansion project this weekend!!

One pole, what the heck was I thinking????

wink

That's frickin awesome.

But did you have to show it to me on a pre deer camp Friday with over 7 hours left to go in the day????

smile

Well, it's off to camp tonight, it's still raining too though.

My daughter is hunting this weekend (youth hunt) with her Ruger 77 standard/walnut in .243, free float, glass bed, tuned trigger, slicked action & now a new bushnel elite 3200 3-9 x 40 to help her point it at the sweet spot.

she's a shooter too, that girl can really shoot that thing.

After taking a brand new rifle out of the box & reworking it to my liking, I sighted it in & let her shoot it. I tought her to shoot starting out fairly young with a single shot youth model rimfire borrowing some of the basic fundamentals taught in USMC marksmanship courses. Body & skeletal alignment/support, breathing control & basic trigger handling, sight/target focal point do's & donts.... (girls are so easy to train with this stuff)

here, check it out. these are the first two shots she ever took with the rifle after I sighted it in for her. I made a black dot in the center of this basic 1" grid type target & explained to her that the smaller the focal point, the tighter she would group if she could stay on true through her trigger pull.

this is without a rest, it was off of a wooden shooting bench & the only support she used was a very large gym sock I have over filled with whole kernel dried feed corn (kind of a tight bean bag of sorts) that we placed under the forend for her.

the only reason I stopped her at 2 shots is because I couldn't see her holes in the target through my spotting scope, target lasered at 105 yds.

when we approached the target it was pretty clear that things were going to be ok in the way of accuracy for little miss hunter & her new M77.

[Linked Image]

Now if we can get a deer in front of her this weekend we'll be in business.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tips,

Underneath the structure lay down heavy plastic to control condensation.

Spray the entire rough structure with homemade bora care.

#2: This is equivalent to Bora-Care�
Prepare the concentrate:
Mix 1 Gallon glycol antifreeze, 4 1/2 pounds borax, 3 1/2 pounds boric acid.
Mix the ingredients and heat till boiling gently. Boil off water until a candy thermometer shows 260�F. This removes most of the water of crystallization in the borax.
This solution is stable at 40�F and has a borate content of 26%. This is equivalent to Bora-Care� at about $90/gal. for the concentrate. The concentrate must be diluted with an equal volume of water before being applied.

Application: Add 1 gallon of water to every gallon of concentrate and stir thoroughly until solution is completely uniform. Always use diluted within 24 hours after mixing. If kept for longer periods of time, the active ingredient can drop out of the solution.

Before you seal the inner walls up, pour a mixture of boric acid (40%) and 20 mule team borax (60%) on the lower wall plates. Do the same under any floor cabinets.

What this is going to do it prevent wood destroying insects like termites and ants plus dry rot. The powdered stuff will kill roaches beetles and other critters. The treatment will last as long as the structure provided you don't get a water leak.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
wow, that's all new to me.

i have no idea what bora care even is?

what's it for? were is it used (region)?

Interesting.

Dave

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
WOW! IMPRESSIVE BUNCH OF DEER! Even more impressive that it was 1940. 73 bucks stretched a lot further then! laugh

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
hey jim, how goes the phesant hunting?

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The glycol acts as a penetrant because it's hydroscopic. Make sure you use enviromentally safe stuff. Typically that is whats used in RV water tanks for winterizing. You want to get it undiluted otherwise you will be boiling off 50% of it.

http://www.environmentsensitive.com/effectiveusesofborate.htm

Termites ingest the treated wood and the borite compound kills their gut bacteria. Same with wood ants. The powdered stuff dries out roaches and some other insects.

I'd apply at least three treatments to the rough structure with drying time between. Even on pressure treated wood.

I had a situation where my tenant did not report a leaking toilet. The underside of the floor got really mildewed, it even had green mold on it. The walls arond the area where also affected. I mixed up a batch of trimadore, which is the same thing as boracare except it's in hot water rather that the glycol. 4 applications in a weeks time completely destroyed the mold. Molds cannot grow in the presence of borites.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
very interesting info.

thanks.

Dave

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Only made it out last saturday. I took my nephew and his buddy. I shot one and they each missed a couple. Out of the 40 or so birds that my dog flushed only 5 were roosters. Been raining steady here all week and been working late so I haven't got out. Will try to get out this weekend between working on the house and bowhunting. I don't want to work on the house but wife thinks it should get done cuz there is white stuff a comin. confused
I think I should just hunt all weekend! That sounds like more fun! I went to Gander Mtn just now and picked up the Primos Buck Roar call. I'm anxious to try it out. How about you? You going to the shack this weekend?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Oh yeah youth deer. Duh...
Tell your daughter good luck from me!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
so, are you practicing at work with your new call?

I highly recomend you do so if you haven't been already.

I find from personal experience that the other workers surrounding me appreciate my practicing of all sorts of calls. They really, really like it.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave,

I thought you would have embraced the Blaze Orange Virus already, and be out there. MEA perfect timing.

As far as blowing calls at work are you sure they calls or the after effects of mexican lunches?

Anyway you guys have fun up there, if I hear of any pumps, points, or things of that ilk I will let ya know I am gonna make some auction rounds this weekend i think.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I oftem blow calls of both sorts at once Drift.

people really seam to like that.

the orange virus.

well, even as tired as I am, my instincts guided my hand to an orange hooded sweatshirt & my old blaze orange winchester ball cap this morning as I left for work.

The virus has me, i'm just on cruise control is all, auto pilot. when i take the wheel, I tend to go freestyle, out of control.

I'm actually thinking about grabbing the wheel any time now & going a little crazy.

thinkin about 2PM is all the longer I'll make it today.

have fun on your auction run Drift.

that dang ole orange adiction is grabbin hold of me......

yeah, it's got me.

cant make it to 2, leavin now.

Later guys!!!

shacka-lacka!!!

Boooom-shacka-lacka!!!!!!

shack time!!!!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well, the youth deer hunt was fun but we didn't get a deer. I was very impressed with my daughters determination though. If it was within legal hunting hours she wanted to be in that stand, she really put in her time. Now she'll have to wait for the regular season with the rest of us.

I have a few pictures of the empty meat pole & one of the old 77 ford (my hunt'n truck) parked in front of the shack.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,

That '77 Ford is great. That can't be from MN unless you did some fixin'.

After I finish the projects I have now, I WILL have a 67-79 Ford 4x4 for my huntn' truck.

What are the forms for next to the cabin in the bottom picture? or is it a optical dilusioin?

Tom.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 14 of 1,842 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.