Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kp321 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Asking for a friend who is heading north next month. He is planning to have his 870 in the pickup with him for bear protection. Does it need to be plugged to three rounds while traveling through Canada? What he finds on the internet is confusing.

Last edited by Kp321; 07/19/22. Reason: Added clarification
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Depending on the barrel length, I believe the minimum length is 18.5", I don't see a problem. I typically take a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Check the regs and follow them. You should not have a problem with most Canadian officers. I've heard there are some hard-asses who live to make things difficult, but never encountered one myself.

US northern border custom guys I hold in lesser regard. Not at the Alaska border, tho.

Last edited by las; 07/20/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just returned from our trip. The biggest questions the Canadian folks had was how long the barrel could be. I pointed out on the form where it was noted. I had my 870 with a 21” barrel.

Overall here is a summary of our crossings. Stopped at US side of a remote but 24 hr crossing N of Spokane to fill out US paperwork. Was early Sunday morning. No one around, knocked on a few doors, nobody home. Went to Canadian entry, had my Canadian form in hand. They were pleasant, friendly and entry was easy. Quick look in the camper and we were on our way. Over the next few weeks we made a few crossings as we worked our way through Alaska. In general, the Canadians were always pleasant, professional and fast. Passports, firearms form and verified that we did the Covid on line registration. US played 57 questions every time. Worst was final return at crossing in central Washington. Snarky sarcastic SOB that I feel was trying to get me to reply the same way, I bit my tongue and stayed professional. Asked “why do you need a gun?”. He asked for my CBP paperwork and I gave him the Canadian form. He said he could work with that. Sent us for additional inspection. One guy came out and checked the gun and paperwork to verify the serial number matched. (Canadians never even looked at the gun.) Then the agricultural inspector came out and looked at the food we had left. She too played 57 questions while we verbally rattled off what food we had. She then threatened us with if we find anything it is a $300 fine. Would have been a whole lot quicker if she asked do you have this, that or these, instead of playing games.

To las’s comment, I agree that the crossings we did at the Alcan Hwy and above Skagway were smoother that Washington. And will add that the Canadian’s were far friendlier and more professional than their US counterparts.

Last edited by Razz; 07/20/22.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rule number one if crossing into Canada - declare all firearms up front. Honesty and transparency will win the day. If you've made an error, at least you haven't tried to hide anything.

Rule number two - don't bring handguns. Don't even have handgun ammo because then they will search for the handgun.

Rule number three - generally long barreled guns are okay, but if you have a 'black rifle', think twice if you really need to bring it. Might cause extra grief, especially the magazines.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
US Customs are the biggest [bleep] in the US Govt, as a Soldier returning from deployments we (a wide body plane full of Soldiers) were treated like criminals. Every single time.
Sorry for the highjack

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tops911
US Customs are the biggest [bleep] in the US Govt, as a Soldier returning from deployments we (a wide body plane full of Soldiers) were treated like criminals. Every single time.
Sorry for the highjack
Not all of them.
Had one in Seattle threaten to ground a plane if they didn’t get my rifle off and bring it to their office. I tried to get the declaration paperwork done in Sacramento and there was no one available to do it. As soon as I got off at Seattle I headed to Customs. Waited and waited until it was looking as if my plane was going to depart before my rifle was brought down. He told the airline you are not leaving until this is done.
Great group of guys. Kept checking to see if I had been helped yet.

Last edited by 338reddog; 07/23/22.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Hopefully relevant to the thread. What about a pistol grip on a Mossberg 500? Does the pistol grip change anything as far as regulations? Thanks.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hillbillyjake, according to the RCMP if that particular model of shotgun is less than 660mm in length which is approximately 26 inches it would be prohibited. I suggest if anyone is considering transporting any type of firearms through Canada that they read and understand the regulations thoroughly. If you still have questions contact the RCMP. I can’t empathize this enough the Canadian authorities take this issue very seriously. Not trying to scare anyone, however the penalties for failure to obey the laws of a foreign country can be severe.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok,,,,,, you guys need to be looking at this Data-Sheet from the Canuks, ie... Google-up ---[RCMP GRC 5589e]--- it will answer all your questions and then some.... cool Lj

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok,,,,,, you guys need to be looking at this Data-Sheet from the Canuks, ie... Google-up ---[RCMP GRC 5589e]--- it will answer all your questions and then some.... cool Lj
This it?

https://kabeelo.com/images/uploads/RCMP_GRC_5589e.pdf

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yep,,,,, that's it, and I keep a Printed Copy with me, as it has turned the tide, more than a few times...... cool Lj

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I brought a Nova Pump 12 gauge through Canada in April. No issues at all. No plug. I kept it in soft case, loaded with slugs at night in tent.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I should clarify. My 500 has a pistol grip and an adjustable stock (AR15 style). Not a Shockwave style setup. Overall length fully collapsed is 37.5”. I did not know if the pistol grip itself was a red flag.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Printed papers from the link. Thanks for that.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
On a recent trip north I found out that canadian law dictates that the ammunition for the gun can't be in the case with the rifle. How did I find that out? Upon opening the case for my primary bear gun for that trip the canadian customs officer found the three rounds that I bring into the stand with me inside the case. Note the gun was unloaded the rounds were loose in the case.

The customs offcer chastised me for asking to enter a foreign country with a rifle and did not take the time to read the pertinent regulations. The officer brought out a pamphlet that detailed the gun laws and made me read it before entry and he asked a few questions after I was done reading it, failing this test may have caused him to refuse me entry.

I have taken guns into canada at least 20 times and this guy was an outlier most of the canadian officers are personable and professional when treated like that. But since I was told the ammo issue I make darn sure there is no ammo in case with the guns.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Razz
Just returned from our trip. The biggest questions the Canadian folks had was how long the barrel could be. I pointed out on the form where it was noted. I had my 870 with a 21” barrel.

Overall here is a summary of our crossings. Stopped at US side of a remote but 24 hr crossing N of Spokane to fill out US paperwork. Was early Sunday morning. No one around, knocked on a few doors, nobody home. Went to Canadian entry, had my Canadian form in hand. They were pleasant, friendly and entry was easy. Quick look in the camper and we were on our way. Over the next few weeks we made a few crossings as we worked our way through Alaska. In general, the Canadians were always pleasant, professional and fast. Passports, firearms form and verified that we did the Covid on line registration. US played 57 questions every time. Worst was final return at crossing in central Washington. Snarky sarcastic SOB that I feel was trying to get me to reply the same way, I bit my tongue and stayed professional. Asked “why do you need a gun?”. He asked for my CBP paperwork and I gave him the Canadian form. He said he could work with that. Sent us for additional inspection. One guy came out and checked the gun and paperwork to verify the serial number matched. (Canadians never even looked at the gun.) Then the agricultural inspector came out and looked at the food we had left. She too played 57 questions while we verbally rattled off what food we had. She then threatened us with if we find anything it is a $300 fine. Would have been a whole lot quicker if she asked do you have this, that or these, instead of playing games.

To las’s comment, I agree that the crossings we did at the Alcan Hwy and above Skagway were smoother that Washington. And will add that the Canadian’s were far friendlier and more professional than their US counterparts.

funny we the canadians found the ones in skagway and haines nicer than the canadian counterpart ... i even in the past when allowed shoot in competition with my ars with some skagways and haines guys ...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or you could just jump on the ferry in Seattle and avoid Canuckistan altogether and not have to deal with the headache.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I mailed my stuff ahead of me.
Didn’t matter.

I was directed to the inspection building I was ordered to drive in.
I was then told to exit the vehicle and empty my pockets.
For the next 3 1/2 hours I was detained and interrogated.
“Are you an Agent.? No I am a citizen of the United States.
“Where are the guns.?” I told you that I mailed them ahead of me.

Not believing me, they proceeded to rip my truck apart.
Obviously there was nothing there to find, and eventually they released me.

I would NOT mess with Trudeau’s minions…they HATE the concept of Freedom.

And I’d definitely not roll up to that border with a shotgun, they’ll want to know where the “other” guns are.
It ain’t worth it.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Or you could just jump on the ferry in Seattle and avoid Canuckistan altogether and not have to deal with the headache.

Whats the price on something like this? Is it a matter of just going around Canada? That easy? Whats the rules for guns on the boat?

Last edited by hillbillyjake; 08/10/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, ATC, 38HBWC, 808outdoors, 257_X_50, 11 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.