Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
A friend told me to come over and look at his new pup, but when I gought there guess what there were 2. A brother and sister Vizsla pups 8 weeks old. I have never owned a bird dog but have always wanted one and when he took a bird wing on a string and they both went to point WOW. I guess these pups have great papers and come from some good blood lines, again I know nothing about bird dogs. I guess the male was left because the person could not come up with the money so he sold him for $125 to my friend. So he ask me do I want him at that price and after watching him point and nibble on my ear I was hooked. So what do I need to know and do about my new boy so I can ensure he will be the best he can be? olefish

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Congratulations, olefish. Ya done good ! E

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Congrats on your new acquisition.Nothing like a little nibble on the ears from a pup to win you over,he'll have you trained in no time LOL.<P>READ READ READ.there are many good books on training a pointer,my personal favorite is "SPEED TRAIN YOUR OWN BIRD DOG" by Larry Mueller.<P>Another is "THE TRAINING and CARE of the VERSATILE HUNTING DOG" by Sigbot Winterhelt and Ed Bailey.<P>Hope this helps.<P>mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy "Best Way To Train Your Gun Dog: The Delmar Smith Method."<P>In the meantime, let that pup be a pup. 99.9999% of every interaction you have with him should be about fun, fun, fun.<P>As to housetraining, keep a close eye on him, and when he starts showing signs of needing to go (whining, sniffing around, squatting) grab him and get him outside quick to the spot or area where you want him to go. DON'T get on him when he makes a mistake in the house. Don't push his nose in it, or hit him with a newspaper, or anything like that. Just keep catching him.<P>Also, socialize him as much as possible, which means expose him to as many new situations, people, and other dogs as possible. Take him everywhere you can, as often as you can. It will pay HUGE dividends later in a confident, well adjusted dog.<P>And buy that book!!<P>Congratulations! You are going to derive a LOT of pleasure from owning and developing that pup, you can bet! And just wait until you hunt over him!!!!!<P>Rick (jealous)

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Don't forget this all important book:<BR>"How to help gundogs train themselves, the conditioned learning guide; By Joan Bailey<BR>This book will get you on your way to being ready for "Formal training" when that pup is older. This is only a CONDITIONING GUIDE and NOT a training book. I highly recommend you or anyone with a new pup or dog read it first. Good luck! If you can't find it in a book store, go to your liabrary and ask there.

IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
fishbate, e-mail me and I will give you some sites to go to. I have Vizslas, they work great for me.

"nullum gratuitum prandium"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.