Enlisted in the US Army rather than get drafted. Figured that way I’d get what I wanted and I sure did. When our country is at war that’s your duty is the way I was raised. Most all the men in my little farm town had served in either WWII or Korea and a lot of the older local boys in the early days of Vietnam. I believed it was just what real men do.

Uncle Sam trained me up real good - infantryman, airborne ranger and SF. A year after joining, he must of figured it was time that I go and put my new hard earned skills to work in SE Asia. I found out I was proficient at it and I actually liked it (most of the time).

Took the “Be all you can be” motto to heart. Went to every training and school offered through out my career. Made rank rapidly always promoted as soon as eligible (secondary zone).

I served as a silent warrior on the tip of the spear. Had little to do with the Big Green (Regular Army). I had nothing but disdain for “LEGS”. My only experience with them for any length of time was when I was a drill sergeant (DA select). Didn’t enjoy my time in legland.

Much prefer the company of quiet professionals. Just something about knowing all the men are highly skilled and at the top of their game. I was no hero but I served with real American heroes. I loved my time serving this great nation. I strived to always perform to the best of my ability. It wasn’t an easy life. I loved my career choice and with very few changes would do it again.

Seen a lot of this world, did things most men can only dream of. I know when my time comes to slip this mortal coil that I’ll have no regrets. I would love to be able to do it again. I miss the brotherhood forged in fire, sharing the joy and pain. You have to experience it to understand.

That being said, I have no idea what today’s military is like.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8