OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
what do you think about Kombucha ?

Last edited by persiandog; 08/01/22.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Love the stuff. Favorite is ume kombucha, which is plum and kelp. The hot version that I drink has salty and sour flavor that doesn't appeal to everyone, but I drink it a lot. Probably too much, due to the salt content. Wife has instructions to bring back plenty of the better old school brands when back in Japan this month.

Here's one that's pretty good.

https://japanesetaste.com/products/...61hlMlWK5Ck3_sfxYWbaBlncLOIaAvPkEALw_wcB

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Love the stuff. Favorite is ume kombucha, which is plum and kelp. The hot version that I drink has salty and sour flavor that doesn't appeal to everyone, but I drink it a lot. Probably too much, due to the salt content. Wife has instructions to bring back plenty of the better old school brands when back in Japan this month.

Here's one that's pretty good.

https://japanesetaste.com/products/...61hlMlWK5Ck3_sfxYWbaBlncLOIaAvPkEALw_wcB

I make my own , a few tea bags , sugar and scoby . ferment for 2 weeks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would much prefer a nice cold bottle of Kirin or Asahi. Sometimes I wish I hadn't quit drinking. laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mmmmn? I may have to try that stuff someday.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds pretty bad to me.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Good stuff I try to drink at least a couple per week as I have some gut issues and it helps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only drink literal spring water or Tequila

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nope.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by persiandog
I make my own , a few tea bags , sugar and scoby . ferment for 2 weeks.

Interesting. Your kombucha and mine are two totally different things. The word 'konbu' in Japanese literally means 'kelp' or 'seaweed'. And yes, the spelling change is due to conjugation/phonetics. Use of konbu goes back thousands of years. We have lots of different types in the kitchen, from the canned stuff I posted earlier to large dried sheets maybe 20" long and 4" across. Wife uses it and dried bonito flakes for making basic stock for soups, fish stews and lots of other tasty dishes.

Japanese kombucha is made from pickled and dried kelp. It doesn't involve fermentation, I'm pretty sure. See below.

What kinds of tea do you use for yours? Green or black variety?

WHAT IS KOMBU?
November 30, 2021

https://www.sushisushi.co.uk/blogs/masterclass/what-is-kombu#:~:text=Kombu%20(or%20konbu%2C%20as%20it,used%20in%20East%20Asian%20cooking.

Kombu (or konbu, as it is spelled in Japan) is a form of edible kelp or seaweed, commonly used in East Asian cooking. It refers to a wide variety of kelp, most of which are from the laminariaceae family. Kombu is easy to grow, often resulting in plentiful harvests and is a major part of the Japanese diet. While other cultures around the world make use of kelp – including China and Iceland – Japan is by far the largest global consumer.

HISTORY
Kombu has been used as a foodstuff in Japan for millennia. Plant remains, including wakame seaweed, have been uncovered in ancient ruins dating back to the Jōmon Period (14000-300 BCE), and scholars believe that this suggests kombu (or an earlier equivalent) was also eaten at the time. The earliest written references to the food come from wood strips from the imperial capital of Fujiwara-kyō (694-710) and the Man'yōshū – the earliest existing collection of Japanese poetry, collected in 759. At this time, kombu would have been harvested and dried by hand, or used fresh in soups and broths.

New drying techniques were developed during the Muromachi period of 1336 to 1573, which allowed kombu to be stored over a longer period of time. By the Edo period (1603-1867), kombu was a widely-used ingredient throughout the country. At this time, kelp farmers were still harvesting wild kelp. It was not until the early 20th century that the crop was cultivated. This resulted in cheaper and more plentiful kombu.

MAIN VARIETIES
Most kombu comes from the laminariaceae family of kelp, of which there are about eighteen different varieties. Each has its own distinct flavour and some are only cultivated in certain coastal areas around the country. The most popular and readily-available varieties are as follows:

Formal Name

laminaria japonica
laminaria religiosa
laminaria diabolica
laminaria ochotensis
laminaria saccharina
laminaria angustata
laminaria longissima
laminaria coriacea
kjellmaniella sculpera
laminaria longipedalis
kjellmaniella gyrata
laminaria cichorioides
arthrothamnus bifidus
laminaria diabolica miyabe
laminaria angustata var. longissimi

Japanese Name

ma-kombu
hosome-kombu
oni-kombu
rishiri-kombu
karafuto-kombu
mitsuishi-kombu
naga-kombu
gaggara-kombu
gagome-kombu
enaga-kombu
tororo-kombu
chijimi-kombu
rausu-kombu
hidaka-kombi

Of particular note, rishiri-kombu is commonly used for making soup stocks, while mitsuishi-kombu is often used in the production of dashi. Karafuto-kombu contains a naturally-occurring sugar, known as mannitol, producing a sweeter flavour than other varieties.

PRODUCTION
While kombu does grow in the wild and can be harvested by hand, to do so on an industrial scale requires more efficient farming methods and some form of mechanisation. Cultivated kombu begins in the nursery, where spores are germinated and seeded into ropes that are then tied to a frame. The spores are able to sprout on these ropes, at which point they are transferred to thicker ropes that are hung in the ocean.

Cultivated kombu is ready to be harvested within a year, and many farms rotate their kelp fields to ensure a steady, year-round supply.

Harvesting the kombu is a simple matter of hauling in the ropes. The ‘leaves’ of kelp are stripped from the ropes, either by hand or with a dedicated machine. In either instance, the roots remain and can regrow back in the ocean. The raw kelp is then shipped for processing.

This involves sheets of kelp being soaked in a vinegar solution as a form of preservative. Following this, they are dried and stacked, before being compressed to release any remaining moisture. These blocks of compressed kombu are then set aside to age. Once they are ready, they are shaved into individual sheets that, when combined with boiling water, at both flavour and texture to a range of dishes.

KOMBU IN JAPANESE COOKING
Kombu is a popular ingredient in Japanese cuisine, being high in glutamic acid, which creates the savoury, umami flavour that is a hallmark of the country’s food.

It is sold in several ways, including dashi kombu (dried), su kombu (pickled in vinegar), or dried and shredded as shiraga kombu, oboro kombu, or tororo kombu. Fresh kombu can also be purchased and is often eaten with sashimi. Kombu is also available in both powdered and liquid stock forms.

As previously mentioned, kombu is used on its own to flavour and thicken soup, or as a core ingredient for making the popular soup stock dashi. Kombu that has been softened during cooking is eaten as part of the meal, or sliced and simmered in mirin and soy sauce to make tsukudani.

Kombu can also be pickled, often with a sweet and sour flavour. In this form, it is often eaten as a snack alongside a cup of green tea.

Speaking of tea, kombu-cha is a popular and healthy tea made by infusing dried and shredded kombu in hot water.

KOMBU IN MODERN WESTERN COOKING
Kombu is being used in a variety of ways in modern western cooking especially in fine dining. Stock or "dashi" is made from the kombu and this stock is blended with classic western stocks to reinforce umami flavours.

Another technique that is being employed is "kombujime". Kombujime is a technique where fish is wrapped for 1 to 5 days in kombu to extract bad flavours of fish, whilst imparting umami sea flavours to enhance the fish.

NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS
As well as being a good source of glutamic acid, kombu also contains high levels of iodine, essential for healthy growth and development. Kombu is also a great source of dietary fibre and contains several enzymes (including alpha-galactosidase and beta-galactosidase) that can break down complex sugars in the stomach that are usually indigestible.

Recently, Kombucha has gained a lot of reputation and popularity in United States and European countries. The word kombucha originated from Japan but meaning has changed and Kombucha now points out two different things. When people in western culture think of kombucha, they are talking about acidic fermented tea originated from Northeast China and Russia that contains many bacteria and yeasts. However, Japanese kombucha, is made from kombu kelp, as the word kombucha directly translates to “kombu kelp tea”. Japanese kombucha is made from regular or powdered kombu often mixed with green tea and poured over hot water, while western kombucha is made from dividing yeast from kombucha mother. Kombu kelp contains rich minerals and Umami, making plain water full of tastes.
In Japan, western kombucha were called “mushroom red tea” because of all the fungus and how layer of bacteria looks like umbrella in the fermenting process. Western kombucha have gained popularity on 1970’s in Japan due to its health reason and easy to reproduce between families with low cost.

Now, how did change in the meaning of kombucha occurred? Its etymology has not been certain but it is believed that thick gelatin layer on the tea resembled seaweed, thus, getting the name kombucha. Kombucha might mean different in Japan and US, but both teas have a lot of health and beauty benefit by consuming them. Why not try both kombucha and share this trivia to people who love drinking western kombucha.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Ive tried it looking for the health benefits. Didn't find any benefits. interesting flavors can be had but too expensive to just play around with.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Isn't apple cider vinegar with mother basically the same thing health dink wise? Costs pennies comparatively speaking.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Outside of basic subject.
Would eat the stone baked flat bread in the middle east.
Figured it was cooked well enough to kill off schit.
Pretty good with MRE stuff smeared on it or just plain.
Ate a dharma (sp?) meal one time out of "courtesy" at some muktar meeting.
Had the massive schits for 2 days after...
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴😠😠😠
One of my line dog sqd ldrs got worms from eating haji rottesairy chicken street food.
So worth it.... to go up to the CASH and get dewormed for 24hrs.
Said it looked like alien once he schit it out and the docs/medics cleared him to RTD.
Lopez never that down for a long time with all the worm jokes.

Eating native food in theater will bite ya in the azz literally.......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
Outside of basic subject.
Would eat the stone baked flat bread in the middle east.
Figured it was cooked well enough to kill off schit.
Pretty good with MRE stuff smeared on it or just plain.
Ate a dharma (sp?) meal one time out of "courtesy" at some muktar meeting.
Had the massive schits for 2 days after...
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴😠😠😠
One of my line dog sqd ldrs got worms from eating haji rottesairy chicken street food.
So worth it.... to go up to the CASH and get dewormed for 24hrs.
Said it looked like alien once he schit it out and the docs/medics cleared him to RTD.
Lopez never that down for a long time with all the worm jokes.

Eating native food in theater will bite ya in the azz literally.......

From kombucha/konbucha to worms commin' out a dudes ass.

This place never ceases to make me wonder!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Wife drinks it everyday. She brews her own. Claims it keeps her regular.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Persiandog: Is your stomach upset a lot?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Persiandog: Is your stomach upset a lot?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
no , i have nothing else to do.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I buy the ginger or water melon infused kombuchas. I get them at Trader Joes. Not a frequent drinker of it though.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
it's a very strong aphrodisiac , specially for women.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,502
Posts18,509,209
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.