Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Looks like I'm headed to Kaua'i for eight days in February. I've hunted quite a bit on the Big Island but not on any of the other islands. I've found a couple of outfitters who guide for boar and deer over there but I'm always interested in hearing about more.

Any hot tips?

Thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No hot tips, I went to Maui this year hoping for goats and maybe deer, storm damage closed down the hunting area we had planned on, had no luck at the other places. Did see a nice axis buck, but not in a hunting area.

I wore a mesh orange vest and had a weatherproof gun, good thing, because it rained pretty hard one day.

The local Hawaiians are pretty good about hunting, I was favorably impressed.

Don't expect convenient access to a sporting goods store.

Had to register my gun with the local PD, they were helpful.

I understand the hunting is pretty good on Kauai.

Last edited by plumbum; 07/17/22.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Lotsa goats, some Blacktail. Think the Blacktail is limited entry, dunno what the odds are. Lotsa pigs, got several local buddies I go with, knife snd dogs. Good times, headed back down middle of August.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice Jud! Right in the googler!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Judman
Lotsa goats, some Blacktail. Think the Blacktail is limited entry, dunno what the odds are. Lotsa pigs, got several local buddies I go with, knife snd dogs. Good times, headed back down middle of August.

Just talked to an outfitter about this. What kind of knife do you use? He said a K-Bar was about right.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll be interested to hear all about it - I have no desire to travel anywhere to hunt except Hawaii! The idea of hunting goats on Kauai sounds about as good as it gets to me.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had dale howe, here make it specifically for me, for killin boars. I sourced the scales from the big island, kuilla wood, dale said it was hard as hell. I keep it put up, til I head to kuaui for boars. Seems to work well. Dale had parsons do the sheath as well. Very happy with finished product.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The mountains of Kauai are one of the wettest places in the world.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by navlav8r
The mountains of Kauai are one of the wettest places in the world.

I've heard that. Coming from western Washington, I expect to feel right at home.

Okie John

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Growing up on Oahu, we didn't do a lot of hunting there. All of our hunting, back then, was on the Big Island for pig. We didn't use guns, only knife and dogs. But that was if we needed the meat right then (luau time). Our freezers were usually filled with fish. Us kids would chase piglets yelling and screaming at them while the dogs chased the sows and boars. The piglets would drop down and play possum. We'd pick them up, take them home to our pens, and fatten them up. When it came time for a party, 22lr to the back of the head.

Since then things have changed a lot. There are sheep, goats, deer, and turkey. In fact the Turkey in Waikola are hardly hunted because they live in the neighborhoods. They are so old and big, they trip over their own beards. "Don't shot my birds" or "Leave my birds alone, go get you one pig you like kill something". Something else that has changed is the method of take. Not that we didn't have guns, they just weren't the preferred method. Today you see a lot more guns and bows. When I go home I don't hunt primarily because I can't do anything with the meat and I never take a firearm or my bow, I'd have to barrow a family members. One day I'll go to the Big Island for Mouflon Sheep, Black Hawaiian Sheep, Spanish Goat, Hawaiian Ibex, Vancouver Bull, Rio Grand Turkey and Wild Boar. Molokai, Maui and Lanai for deer. I personally would love to introduce Red Stag to the island like they did in New Zealand.

Show the Hawaiians some love and they will reciprocate. And if tutu says come eat, you betta go eat. Aloha

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you do, make sure to hit Tiki Tacos in Kapaa multiple times. Awesome

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
John just got a text from my pard in Kauai, sounds like we’re goin be doin some horseback huntin, over night trip, headed out Sunday morning, will keep ya updated 👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
John just got a text from my pard in Kauai, sounds like we’re goin be doin some horseback huntin, over night trip, headed out Sunday morning, will keep ya updated 👊🏻

Go get 'em!

And stay dry.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Looks like a blast

It ain’t easy
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O

Looking forward to hearing more.

Okie John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (2UP, 160user, 35, 345dl, 338rcm, 300Sav, 20 invisible), 1,625 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,575
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.