Print Thread
Hop To
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm doing a couple of lower builds and have all the parts together except for one mil-spec specified tube, spring and buffer.

That brought up a few questions. First, where can I get a mil-spec tube? Next, realizing I've heard all kinds of stuff about parts kits, triggers, stocks, grips........everything but buffers, who makes the best? And is it the best for all builds? What about the springs? And how about the buffer. One better than another? Is this a fairly non-critical area or just not that fun to talk about since you never see it?

Here are my parts so far: Stag lower, RRA parts kits, Magpul stock (not the carbine styled one but more of a bench rest stock) and an ACE, Magpul grips, a WOA tuned RRA trigger and a Jard. I have one buffer assembly I got off of GB and now need another.

I'm going to put a Jard in the first lower I did for the Beowulf too and might need a different buffer in it as have experienced some issues with ignition and ejection. The 50 upper works fine on the Colt lower so it's not the upper.

So any info on buffers would be greatly appreciated!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well there is no best for all but here's a list of buffer weights;

carbine 2.9 oz.
H 3.8 oz.
H2 4.6 oz.
rifle 5.2 oz.
9mm 5.5 oz.
H3 5.6 oz.
MGI RRB 7.1 oz.

Now here's what I've learned, the system was designed with a 20" barrel, rifle buffer and spring and a full auto carrier. Now you use a carbine gas system, that runs much higher pressure (app. 26K PSI), a semi carrier and a standard carbine buffer and spring, which btw should measure 10-1/16 to 11-1/4", a rifle spring is 11-3/4 to 13-1/2", and you can see why the carbine system has been called overgassed.

Short answer you want to reduce the force moving the bolt carrier back to where it functions with the weakest ammo you shoot, or use the carbine buffer and let it be overgassed but is utterly reliable. Most try for in between.

I used a 9mm buffer and an extra power buffer spring to make a 223 wssm run with a collapsable stock but it took trying different combos to get it right. With a rifle stock, you have basicly one choice, with a collapsable stock and a carbine gas system I'd start with an H buffer and standard spring. The extra power spring wouldn't let the bolt lock back in a standard .223 load.

For a mil spec tube try G&R tactical, Delton, Bravo company or Denny's guns. Most dealers stock both commercial and mil spec.

Just remember as your post has me confused, rifle buffers and springs go in rifle tubes only if you don't have a collapsable stock your basic rifle tube is what you want. Hope this helps.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,463
Posts18,529,174
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.