Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jkhunting
A buck deer here will average 125 pounds and does are 80 pounds and less.

You won't have trouble on those size deer at whatever velocity you can get out of a 243 for the BTs. The 95 is a pretty tough bullet unlike some of the earlier BTs.

If I were you, at the distances you listed, I'd load down to 2500 and have less muzzle blast, less recoil, and an "ideal" velocity for the BTs.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my wife a Browning A-Bolt with the BOSS recoil reducer.
She has a 2.8 to 10 power scope on Burris mounts.
99% of the deer she may get a shot at will be inside 100 yards, most inside 50 yards. Absolutly will not buy high dollar bullets for deer size game. They are not needed. Using my reloads, she keeps 5 shot groups smaller than a dime with 100 grain Hornady bullets. Should I even bother to look at some other 100 grain bullets?

If it aint broke don't fix it!

She will have comfidence to make a good shot when she's shooting with a load she shoots so well. A 100gr Hornady through the lungs will drop any deer in Oklahoma or any other place for that matter. You have a near perfect load for your requirements............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by djpaintless
I bought my wife a Browning A-Bolt with the BOSS recoil reducer.
She has a 2.8 to 10 power scope on Burris mounts.
99% of the deer she may get a shot at will be inside 100 yards, most inside 50 yards. Absolutly will not buy high dollar bullets for deer size game. They are not needed. Using my reloads, she keeps 5 shot groups smaller than a dime with 100 grain Hornady bullets. Should I even bother to look at some other 100 grain bullets?

If it aint broke don't fix it!

She will have comfidence to make a good shot when she's shooting with a load she shoots so well. A 100gr Hornady through the lungs will drop any deer in Oklahoma or any other place for that matter. You have a near perfect load for your requirements............................DJ

Ditto.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My first deer rifle was a Remington 660 Carbine in .243 Win..

I hunted deer in Texas with it from age 8 until I was almost done with high school.

As I recall, I used 100 grain Remington 100 gr. core-loct factory ammo almost exclusively.

If I hit the deer, it died, and quickly. And I did kill several dozen deer in that time frame with that rifle (being that limits were VERY generous in Texas, and still are).

Regards,

Ben Reinhardt

Regards,
Ben
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Gentelmen thank you for your suggestions. Will work up some loads and test them with the Ballistic Tips. She likes the looks of those little plastic tipped bullets. I will still come back and check to see if anyone has made more suggestions.
Again, thank you for your help.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gentelmen thank you for your suggestions. Will work up some loads and test them with the Ballistic Tips. She likes the looks of those little plastic tipped bullets. I will still come back and check to see if anyone has made more suggestions.
Again, thank you for your help.

You might be in trouble! You are going to have to buy a new caliber everytime she wants a ballistic tip to match her shoes! laugh ....................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
HMMMMM! Had not thought of that!!!
22-250, 223, 243, just think, I get 2 new rifles.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I fear Democrats and Republicans alike that want to take my deer rifle or squirrel gun from me. They have morfed into
Repub-la-crats (sounds Spanish to me) and BIG BUSINESS owns the lot of them.
Keep your powder dry and make your own ammo for what ya got.
The easiest way to hurt gun owners is stop the sale of ammo at the store.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have loaded up some of the seirra 100 pro hunters for a friend and his son who both shoot a 243. I dressed 4 deer that they shot and all were complete pass throughs with half dollar sized exits. I have really come to like H4831SC for 243's with 100gr bullets. I load the 85gr TSX in mine with H4350.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
100gr Remington Core-Lokt over 41gr of IMR 4350 worked fine on this coastal deer this past Saturday. MV is around 2850 and works just fine. I just haven't seen any issues with the 243 on deer yet, I'm not holding my breath.

[Linked Image]

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only used three bullets in the 6mm's: Nosler's 95gr BT, the 95gr Partition, and the 100gr Hornady Boat-tail. The standard cup-cores worked great on lung shots and almost always gave me good blood trails as well as several dead in their tracks. It was only when they made contact with one or both shoulders that they gave me fits by not completely penetrating. The entry wound alone does not typically give good blood to follow. For my 6mm's, it is the premium bullets, even for dinky little whitetails, just because I hate spending 3 hours looking for a deer in the dark. The Partition, Grand Slam, Scirocco, and TSX should do her just fine, even if the off-side shoulder gets in the way.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Well, I have narrowed it down to 2 bullets, the 95 grain BT and the 100 grain Hornady soft point. I favor the Hornady. That is what she has been shooting. What powders seem to do well with these 2 bullets? The desire is to come as close to DRT as possible. I want to give the wife the best chance on deer that I can.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I like IMR4350... don't recall the weight of the charge at the moment, but it always worked good for me.

Good luck, season has to be close for ya!! Better get er done as they say.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
yep!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As stated here before the 85 TSX is the way to go. My wife's deer this year was shot at 300yds, I shot the distance with a range finder, she hit it low on the left side, uphill, and passed through the right shoulder and out the top. Dead deer in 20 yds. Hard to run when you can't breath.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (270cowboy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 308ld, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,127
Posts18,523,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.