Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BillyE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Good morning,
I have an early 90s Browning A-bolt Medallion 300 WM. It currently has a Vari-XII 3-9x50 duplex of the same vintage. I’ve thought about replacing it with a Vari-XIII 3.5-10x50 or possibly something else. Low light performance is important, as the legal hunting time extends to 1 hr past sunset here. This is not a rifle I hunt with often and I’d like to keep it looking period-correct. Thoughts?

Last edited by BillyE; 08/07/22.
GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you like how it works as it is, I would keep it that way. I have had lots of Leupold variables of that vintage and find them to be a bit of a crap shoot. Some gave trouble with holding/wandering zero. Others worked great once sighted in.

I don’t think you’d realize any significant optical quality or reliability advantage in a switch, and you just might be worse off on the latter.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Can’t recall anyone worried about keeping something from that time “period correct”. Usually that’s reserved for earlier stuff. No matter; everyone has their own notions. I have a bunch!

If you’ve tried the current scope and not found it lacking under the lighting conditions you expect, I‘d call it good. The III might have very slighter better light transmission, but I doubt very much you’d be able to tell. Modern scopes OTOH, even cheaper ones, probably will outdo both. If it’s really important, I’d forgo the nostalgia and buy a good modern scope.

Alternately, you might find an older European model with a big objective, but some of those from that time might have issues with weather-proofing, or so I’ve read.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
At some point during the years of marketing the VariX III scopes, Leupold started manufacturing them with a "lense multicoating" that they claimed produced better light transmission. If I remember right, this was only on the VariX III scopes and not the VariX IIs. So if you are looking to keep a "period correct" scope, the VariX III with the multicoat may be what you are looking for.

B
BillyE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
“Period correct” might be the wrong word. I’m trying to preserve the look. I don’t want a new scope because they’re not available in gloss. And big turrets might look strange. It’s not a rifle I use often.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha. Gloss is tough to find new.

Have you tried the 3-9x50 on your hunting grounds at the end of shooting time?

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by BillyE
Good morning,
I have an early 90s Browning A-bolt Medallion 300 WM. It currently has a Vari-XII 3-9x50 duplex of the same vintage. I’ve thought about replacing it with a Vari-XIII 3.5-10x50 or possibly something else. Low light performance is important, as the legal hunting time extends to 1 hr past sunset here. This is not a rifle I hunt with often and I’d like to keep it looking period-correct. Thoughts?

The D inference between the two in the early 90s was that the Vari-X II had "fully coated" lenses, but the III had "multi-coated lenses." That's what Leupold to ld me. I have a 3-9x50 Vari-X II with heavy duplex.

So the III is a better choice in all respects except price.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I can't remember for sure...but weren't the old II's friction adjustments, and the III's 1/4" clicks?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jason280
I can't remember for sure...but weren't the old II's friction adjustments, and the III's 1/4" clicks?
That’s what I recall to. Also the II series was magnesium fluoride coatings and the III was the newer improved coating (can’t remember the name) and was fully multi coated. The III series should be the better scope.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
That’s what I recall to. Also the II series was magnesium fluoride coatings and the III was the newer improved coating (can’t remember the name) and was fully multi coated. The III series should be the better scope.

Agreed, but I’m not at all sure the difference will be enough to accomplish what the OP wants, or worth the cost. If it was important to me to have solid low-light performance, neither would be my choice.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Just got a 3.5-10 Vari X III mounted up on a gun. The scope appears new as it sat in a safe since 1988 or so. Wouldn't ya know it... it doesn't track worth a $hit! Back to Leupold it goes!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BillyE
“Period correct” might be the wrong word. I’m trying to preserve the look. I don’t want a new scope because they’re not available in gloss. And big turrets might look strange. It’s not a rifle I use often.

Then leave it the way it is. What's wrong with the scope that is on it?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Agreed, but I’m not at all sure the difference will be enough to accomplish what the OP wants, or worth the cost. If it was important to me to have solid low-light performance, neither would be my choice.

Bingo

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ElkSnort
Just got a 3.5-10 Vari X III mounted up on a gun. The scope appears new as it sat in a safe since 1988 or so. Wouldn't ya know it... it doesn't track worth a $hit! Back to Leupold it goes!

What??!!!! No, say it aint so..

BSA MAGA
B
BillyE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ok thanks everyone. I’ll just leave it alone.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just remember that lower power allows more light to reach the eye. They are very good scopes.

RAVENS & WOLVES
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ElkSnort

Scopes can develop tracking issues simply by sitting around for a long time w/o the adjustments being used. In essence, the mechanical components want to 'remember' where they were. In technical terms, it's referred to as mechanical hysteresis.

The late Dick Thomas of Premier Reticles gave me this advice. He said this was the first thing they did when servicing a scope that came in with a tracking complaint:

Warm up the length of the scope tube with a hair dryer and slowly run the w/e adjustments back and forth to the limit of the travel in both directions 10-12 times (be gentle when you feel it get to the end of the travel). Then check it to see if it tracks correctly on the gun.

Over the years, I've 'fixed' a half dozen or so scopes by doing this.

For what it's worth.... -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting this Al, makes sense to me. I've been told of the need to exercise the adjustments on rear target iron sights and it makes even more sense for scopes with their more complex mechanisms.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

There are early Vari-X III's that also have friction adjustments, but, the III"s were the 1st series to move to 1/4MOA click adjustments as well.

Also the II series was magnesium fluoride coatings and the III was the newer improved coating (can’t remember the name) and was fully multi coated. The III series should be the better scope.

Multi-Coat 4. It's got a greenish tint when the light catches it rather than the blueish tint that the Vari-X II series had up until the change-over to the VX series.

Last edited by horse1; 08/08/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
Thanks for posting this Al, makes sense to me. I've been told of the need to exercise the adjustments on rear target iron sights and it makes even more sense for scopes with their more complex mechanisms.

Mike, routinely exercising precision measuring and adjusting tools to their limits is pretty standard Q.C. proceedure in the precision mfg'ing world (aerospace, medical, precision tool and die, etc).

Makes sense to me, too. wink

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,193
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.