Print Thread
Hop To
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Considering an under sink reverse osmosis unit. Any suggestions appreciated.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I had one that filtered 2 gallons per day for a long time and really liked it. I used it for cooking/drinks and everything tasted better. It finally got filled up with crud and I have a new one to replace it.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Kind of a pain to change out filters and flush tank yearly. Can make a gurgling sound while it's filtering also. It does do a good job though. There are some other water filters that are single canister that you replace yearly that are much easier but more expensive such as Everpure. Look at some of the options before you go reverse osmosis.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They work well for cooking and drinking water. I put my first system in back in 2004, and replaced it about 2014. I had to replace the pressure tank on the curent system about two years ago, but the second system still works great. I don't recall the brand, but I don't think it makes a helluva lot of difference.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My girlfriend/neighbor has one but it'll only put out about a gallon at a time. Tastes good though. I buy my drink water from Walmart.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think whether I went with RO again would depend on what my complaint with the water is.
If it is simply a taste issue, a much cheaper and easier to maintain filter would solve the problem.
If there are dangerous chemicals or minerals in the water RO could be the solution.
I’ve had a couple of RO systems over the years but switched to a carbon filter about 10 years ago without regrets.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Paul39
Considering an under sink reverse osmosis unit. Any suggestions appreciated.

We have one one for the whole house and another smaller unit in the basement that feeds a small drinking water only faucet at our sink and the same line to the refrigerator. Aquarius is the company. It's fantastic water. Our well water has a lot of iron in it. You'd never know from getting water from either spot.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm not saying its the best but I have a 3 filter reverse osmosis system by Apec. I think it was less than $250 and I installed it myself.

Last edited by KFWA; 08/15/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
+1 for Apec

Self installed one last year when I moved into a new (to me) home. It is the Apec ROES-UV75, rated at 75 gallons per day, which is sufficient for cooking, ice maker and drinking water. This is the third unit I have owned, two in previous homes. Would not be without one. Cost for this unit was under $300.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What is it that you want to change about your water??

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wmlj
+1 for Apec

Self installed one last year when I moved into a new (to me) home. It is the Apec ROES-UV75, rated at 75 gallons per day, which is sufficient for cooking, ice maker and drinking water. This is the third unit I have owned, two in previous homes. Would not be without one. Cost for this unit was under $300.

I agree 100%. We got our first unit when we lived in Midland, Texas. The water there was terrible. We have the Watts 5 Stage system. They are rather cheap and easy to install and maintain. I wouldn't want to go without one.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As well as simpler maintenance one of the other reasons I abandoned RO was that it doesn’t only remove the harmful contaminants, but it also removes the healthy minerals.
It's like drinking distilled water. There are many healthy minerals in water and if it’s just a taste issue a simple carbon filter may serve.
Also, if you have a copper ice maker line to your fridge an RO is a no-no.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Watts 5 stage is the shizzle

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just use the water that comes out of the well. So far nobody has died.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I haven't trusted tap water (or well) in 20 years.

I have had home filters of some kind since 98.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I love my Water General system and have had it for ~20 years. Replace the filters once a year. Occasionally have had to replace parts/switches. if your on a well get a pressure booster pump.

If you have a basement, mount the system in the basement and run extra long water lines instead of putting it under your sink. No noise, doesn't take up under sink space, and much easier to service this way.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They work the opposite of a standard osmosis system. I actually rely heavily on osmosis and can't imagine wanting to reverse the effects of that amazing process. Whatever flips your cookie I guess.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
We have our system in the basement, where our well controls and pressure tank are located. We ran 3/8” tubing to the refrigerator and to a little spigot at the sink! Most in home units come with pretty small pressure tanks…..we ungraded our system to a much larger pressure tank. When the pressure tank is full….we can get a bit over 4 gallons before noticing a drop in output pressure. The larger pressure tank has certainly made the system much more user friendly! If I remember correctly, our unit can produce 20+ gallons/day! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/15/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,420
Posts18,528,297
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.