Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, I've read many times about how the 6.5 Creedmoor is overhyped, pushed by hyperbole, all marketing, people think they can slay great beasts a mile away just because they have one, etc. But it is rare I actually see anyone say these things!

Conversely, many discussions on the 30-06 feature someone saying something akin to "its the most versatile cartridge".

Perhaps my topic title is misleading. I don't mean to say it isn't very versatile. But what exactly can it do that some cartridges both older and slightly newer, cannot do? Is a 7x57 loaded with a 100-110 grain bullet for varmints up to a 175gr partition at 2600 fps not as versatile? It predates the 30-06. Perhaps the 30-06 gives you longer reach with those heavy projectiles, but I'm willing to bet a 270 Win with a 160gr Partition can kill any of the same animals as cleanly as a 30-06 can with heavy bullets.

I have a great affection for the 30-06 and have filled tags with it a fair few times. But isn't the versatility something that many other cartridges can give you? Does it warrant special mention? And does anyone actually use their 30-06 from groundhog to grizz? Cause if so, that's really cool.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the 30-06 and it’s versatility but it’s a little bit more gun than needed for deer which is far and away the most common big game animal. I think it is slightly more versatile as a big game rifle than the others that you mentioned even if mostly theoretically but at the expense of being slightly more than needed for deer.

The 06’ seems about perfect to me for an African plains game rifle.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I like the 30-06 and it’s versatility but it’s a little bit more gun than needed for deer which is far and away the most common big game animal. I think it is slightly more versatile as a big game rifle than the others that you mentioned even if mostly theoretically but at the expense of being slightly more than needed for deer.

That sounds like a really good use!

If a dude is in my region, and wants to hunt deer, bear and moose with one rifle? Right on, sounds like a great choice. I know what you mean about it being quite a bit of gun for whitetail, but cool. The MOST versatile though? I dunno. I suppose if it gives you say an extra 100-150 yards over the 7x57 technically it IS more versatile (enter 280 Rem), but what kind of big game can it lay out that the 150 or 160gr from a 270 would not? For the sake of discussion, just curious.

Last edited by Igloo; 08/20/22.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Twat-Six had a (2) World War headstart on most things and that literal indoctrination,conjoined with logistics,greased alotta skids. Nobody today objectively swoons it,simply because that ain't how Facts work. Hint.

It was MUCH fhuqking better,when it was literally the only game in town. A couple/few puns be intended. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I love these posts to stir the pot.

There is no right answer but:

"If you can't get it done with a 30-06, it's you not the cartridge."

The man or critter has not been invented it will not kill.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have five or six. I’m sure it will kill a bear if one walks up on me. It does fine job on pigs, deer, and Aoudads

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Igloo

If a dude is in my region, and wants to hunt deer, bear and moose with one rifle? Right on, sounds like a great choice. I know what you mean about it being quite a bit of gun for whitetail, but cool. The MOST versatile though? I dunno. I suppose if it gives you say an extra 100-150 yards over the 7x57 technically it IS more versatile (enter 280 Rem), but what kind of big game can it lay out that the 150 or 160gr from a 270 would not? For the sake of discussion, just curious.
None at all. Theoretically but that’s about all it is.

I’d lean to a .308 caliber over a smaller one for moose or elk. Realistically I doubt that it would matter much if at all.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UpThePole
I love these posts to stir the pot.

There is no right answer but:

"If you can't get it done with a 30-06, it's you not the cartridge."

The man or critter has not been invented it will not kill.

A wise man once said that it is never a mistake! I heartily agree, but neither are a few others.

All I'm sayin wink

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

None at all. Theoretically but that’s about all it is.

I’d lean to a .308 caliber over a smaller one for moose or elk. Realistically I doubt that it would matter much if at all.

Understood, and I agree. If you can, why not, right?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One guy on here sent a volley of 200 grain partitions (from a 30-06) at a grizz at short range. Some hit, some didn't. Then his fkn guide joins in, finishes the bear with a 338 win mag.

He goes on to write dozens of articles all over the internet about how amazing the 30-06 is for grizzly.

These are some of the "legends of the fall", starring the 30-06.

It will be directly followed by name dropping some fkn bear guide

And on and on and on......

Anyhow, I'm running .308 220 grain partitions this year, at 2480 fps. On Alaskan game, their are way better choices out there.

At $100 a box of 50 after shipping, it's quite the fkn fashion statement.........

IC B3

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
One guy on here sent a volley of 200 grain partitions (from a 30-06) at a grizz at short range. Some hit, some didn't. Then his fkn guide joins in, finishes the bear with a 338 win mag.

He goes on to write dozens of articles all over the internet about how amazing the 30-06 is for grizzly.

These are some of the "legends of the fall", starring the 30-06.

It will be directly followed by name dropping some fkn bear guide

And on and on and on......

Anyhow, I'm running .308 220 grain partitions this year, at 2480 fps. On Alaskan game, their are way better choices out there.

At $100 a box of 50 after shipping, it's quite the fkn fashion statement.........

That sounds like quite a story!

What made you decide to go with the 308 and 220 Partitions?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
But what exactly can it do that some cartridges both older and slightly newer, cannot do?

It can do all of the things it can do, better than any other. That doesn't mean it does all of those things the best, or even any of those things the best, but it does check all the boxes. One of those is not a technical or ballistic issue, but the result of simple history: and that is the availability of the ammo. Also, it feeds well from a magazine that fits within a stock, unlike the 7 62x54R or the venerable 303 Brit. Makes for easier carrying.

Is a 7x57 loaded with a 100-110 grain bullet for varmints up to a 175gr partition at 2600 fps not as versatile?

Maybe. If not, it's sure close.

It predates the 30-06. Perhaps the 30-06 gives you longer reach with those heavy projectiles,

And can shoot heavier bullets, needed for big bears and the like.

but I'm willing to bet a 270 Win with a 160gr Partition can kill any of the same animals as cleanly as a 30-06 can with heavy bullets.

In the lower 48? Sure. Alaska? Africa? No.

I have a great affection for the 30-06 and have filled tags with it a fair few times. But isn't the versatility something that many other cartridges can give you? Does it warrant special mention? And does anyone actually use their 30-06 from groundhog to grizz? Cause if so, that's really cool.

No other cartridge gives the same versatility along with the availability. The versatility alone, perhaps. But that's not the whole story.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Needed?

Can such a need for heavier bullets be demonstrated? I'm interested in how we quantify that there are animals the 30-06 can kill, but not a 280 Rem, 270 Win, etc etc. Proving that there are animals you can kill reliably enough with a 30-06 to make it a good choice, but the others won't tip them over as reliably, sounds like a tall order.

Availability is a category I hadn't considered, when it comes to some cartridges for sure though. Depending on where in the world you are.

"Easier carrying" seems very shaky though. Pretty tough to objectively say that will matter. If someone says "You're carrying a Lee Enfield sporter instead of your Model 70" etc I really can't say I care. Maybe some do. Sounds pretty subjective. Especially if it has a 5 round mag but either way.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Largest Brown Bear ever killed was with a 22 rimfire.

Thread is just silly.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Largest Brown Bear ever killed was with a 22 rimfire.

Thread is just silly.

Ever recorded. Perhaps bigger have been taken with a spear over the last few thousand years. Who needs guns?

You're silly wink Not seeing the "pot stirring" part. Its a pretty simple question. Can the 30-06 really do something others cannot? Is that so controversial?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't think of another cartridge that is as versatile. From 22 caliber sabots to at least 240g bullets, can be downloaded to 308, 30-30 and even subsonic velocities.

Always kind of figured if you had a 30-06 you didn't have a great need for much else. The 30-06 will do everything most hunters need done, from targets to small game to occasional varmints to moose and big bears and more.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Can't think of another cartridge that is as versatile. From 22 caliber sabots to at least 240g bullets, can be downloaded to 308, 30-30 and even subsonic velocities.

Without asking if the 22 caliber sabots are needed, that's a good point. They are available! Same with the 240 gr. Perhaps it does have the widest range of components available to it.

Can other cartridges not be downloaded to 308, 30-30 or subsonic power levels though? Maybe subsonic is a stretch but it would seem you can download anything.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Always kind of figured if you had a 30-06 you didn't have a great need for much else. The 30-06 will do everything most hunters need done, from targets to small game to occasional varmints to moose and big bears and more.

Is it the only one that can? Without needing to go larger/magnum. I agree though, and with your sigline that it is a 99% solution. Not saying its not as good as people think it is, just asking if it is truly alone. Would you really tell someone with a 280 that they cannot hunt the same animals that they could with a 30-06? I'll concede that cartridge and the 270 Win (and others) are based on the 30-06 case...but they do exist.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Needed?

Can such a need for heavier bullets be demonstrated?

In limited cases I think so. Here is one. You are hunting brown bear, big ones. The biggest we have in AK. They can take a lot of damage and still work towards you. In order to minimize the chance of an imperfectly shot bear killing me, I need mass and velocity. Nothing you have mentioned as alternatives gives me the mass and velocity that the 30-06 does.

I'm interested in how we quantify that there are animals the 30-06 can kill, but not a 280 Rem, 270 Win, etc etc.

There are none that I know of.

Proving that there are animals you can kill reliably enough with a 30-06 to make it a good choice, but the others won't tip them over as reliably, sounds like a tall order.

The difference in reliability will be real, but likely negligible in most cases, until the game starts getting bigger, and the size of the holes seem to matter more. I would say that starts with about elk. A mediocre hit on an elk with a fully loaded '06 is better than a mediocre hit with a "smaller" caliber.

Availability is a category I hadn't considered, when it comes to some cartridges for sure though. Depending on where in the world you are.

The internet says that '06 is available worldwide, but I do not have worldwide ammo-purchasing experience.

"Easier carrying" seems very shaky though. Pretty tough to objectively say that will matter. If someone says "You're carrying a Lee Enfield sporter instead of your Model 70" etc I really can't say I care. Maybe some do. Sounds pretty subjective. Especially if it has a 5 round mag but either way.

How many medium caliber, non-surplus, bolt-action hunting rifles do you see with protruding mags? I would say it appears to matter.

Last edited by plumbum; 08/20/22.
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by plumbum
Needed?

Can such a need for heavier bullets be demonstrated?

In limited cases I think so. Here is one. You are hunting brown bear, big ones. The biggest we have in AK. They can take a lit of damage and still work towards you. In order toinimize the chance of an imperfectly shot bear killing me, I need mass and velocity. Nothing you have mentioned as alternatives gives me the mass and velocity that the 30-06 does.

[QUOT]I'm interested in how we quantify that there are animals the 30-06 can kill, but not a 280 Rem, 270 Win, etc etc.

There are none that I know of.

Proving that there are animals you can kill reliably enough with a 30-06 to make it a good choice, but the others won't tip them over as reliably, sounds like a tall order.

The difference in reliability will be real, but likely negligible in most cases, until the game starts getting bigger, and the size of the holes seem to matter more. I would say that starts with about elk. A mediocre hit on an elk with a fully loaded '06 is better than a mediocre hit with a "smaller" caliber.

The internet says that '06 is available worldwide, but I do not have worldwide ammo-purchasing experience.

How many medium caliber, non-surplus, bolt-action hunting rifles do you see with protruding mags? I would say it appears to matter.[/quote]

I really get a lot of what you are saying. I guess it boils down to two questions for me.

The premise that the 30-06 is going to kill the large animal where the 270 or 280 etc will not, or not effectively enough: How do we KNOW this and that it isn't just opinion? Anyone can say it as if it is fact, but is it not just conjecture?

The prodtuding magazine: Does it matter, or does someone just not like it? To me, "matter" means they carry and shoot a rifle with a flush mag mote effectively than one without. I can't imagine that. I can imagine them not liking it as much.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not saying the 7mm and.270 will not do the job. Versatility to me is the wide selection of bullets weights to choose from. Of course the 300 savage, .308, up to the 300mags will use the same bullets. If I had one of the others, I could still do all the hunting I ever did. The simple answer is I started competition shooting with an 03 Springfield, graduated to a Garand, could not afford a M1 A. I had the Pre 64 Model 70 willed to be. I am comfortable, knowledgeable and confident with that cartridge.I have killed jack rabbits to moose with it and a lot in between.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (16gage, 117LBS, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,494,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.