Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm not saying it's right, or ethical, and I wouldn't attempt it myself...but I've been "hunting" with guys who shoot game at around 1500 yards - large caliber .338 and .375. They're often successful because they can see the game from above and get a clear shot whereas at closer range, the trees block your view.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/25/22.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
beretzs;
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my mental meanderings.

If I may continue a wee bit, I'd contend that perhaps you and folks like Blackheart might in a very real sense "need" to have a full freezer. Certainly there's an economic aspect to it as you and Blackheart stated, but my gut feel is that it goes way, way deeper than that for some - and not for others.

I'll offer as evidence my own experience where as the youngest, my siblings recall me being upset that I wasn't going along with my father and uncle on their annual moose hunts in the Saskatchewan bush when I was 3. A couple years later I began to draw pictures of men on horseback in the mountains hunting. Now please understand besides in photos, I'd not seen a mountain in my life so there's that. Before leaving this, when my wife and I didn't make a go of it farming, we drifted west to BC and eventually bought an acreage so we - mostly me - could have horses and hunt off of them.

The family all said they were surprised not one small bit when we did as I'd been aiming towards it since I could walk.

My elder brother who grew up with what might not be the very same inputs but similar ones has never, ever been inclined to shoot anything other than varmints around the farm. He did go moose hunting once with Dad, did shoot one whitetail doe too, but never derived any sense of well being whatsoever from the activity.

Any of us who've had kids likely have seen examples of behavior that comes naturally to some of them and does not exist in others and not for lack of trying. Be that art, music, mechanical aptitude or indeed the inclination to hunt. Again I'll add gardening into that because my goodness do I see parallels there.

In my case then, it was not a surprise that this kid.

[Linked Image]

Was inclined to become this kid.

[Linked Image]

Who ended up this guy.

[Linked Image]

So perhaps I'd gently differ with your statement and suggest you and Blackheart might need to do what you do in a very real and tangible way.

In the spirit of the thread, the rifle in the scabbard it a Ruger No. 1 .300 Win Mag, which made somewhere around a dozen one shot kills on local mulie bucks, some of them quite ways off on the other side of a fairly wide draw and were downright tiny in the 6X scope. They weren't 600 yards for sure, but me and that rifle got along extremely well and so help me I could just hit stuff with it.

Anyways, that's just more of my thoughts on what some of us might actually need is all.

Good luck on your hunts this fall sir.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/25/22. Reason: schpell czech broked

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Unless you can consistently clean the NRA MR target at 600yds from your field positions, you have no business shooting at an elk at 600.

One of our more famous long range shooters posted a photo on here of an elk he shot at a similar distance. I noted that if he hadn't luckily hit the spine, it would have been a gut-shot. His response? Crickets. I wonder how many he has failed to bring to bag?

Like any sport that is done correctly, to get good at it requires practice. This is the internet. Our equipment has the potential to do the job, but i question how many shooters have practiced enough at 600 yards to consistently take animals in an ethical way. Based on what I see at rifle ranges etc I'd say if one percent of us did it that would be a lot.
I'm just getting into long range shooting, and I have top of the line equipment, but it would take a lot of practice to hit animal sized targets at 600 yards consistently. Especially when one considers shooting position, weather, wind, elevation and whether or not you have just run up a hill and are winded.
I just saw a long range hunting show on one of the outdoor channels and the guy hit his shots (6-800 Yards), but it took a committee. He had a guy with a range finder, another with the Kestrel thingy and a phone app to tell the shooter how to aim the shot. The shooting conditions were very good, no excessive wind, no snow or rain, and the shooter was able to get prone for a shot with no elevation. And the guy had obviously practiced a lot.
So yeah, less than 1% of you regularly shoot ethically at 600+ yards.

You make some good points, yet falter on an assumption that only 1% of people can make ethical shots here. That may be bs. However, I'll agree that out in the public, the broad range of people that can make long shots is slim. Awfully slim.. Someone mentioned joining a club that shoots long range events. That is an excellent idea that people should really consider. Getting back to your 1% idea: I'll give you an example of where I live. The population is around 10,000 people (small town). Out of those 10,000 people there is one from my town that drives to other clubs to shoot long range events. One of the towns that holds those events has a population of 20,000 people and 120 miles from my location. We have 22-25 "long range" shooters that regularly attend the events. Out of those 22-25 shooters, 1-3 come from Reno. Our first shoot is a "cold bore" shoot, where we shoot at a small target set at 800 yards. The target is different every time. It can be a steel milk jug, rabbit, diamond, crow, small (1/2 size) quartering away or odd angle coyote etc. etc.. At one event we had 7 shooters hit the target at 800 yards. That is a cold bore target generally around 3/4 to 1 moa in size. Keeping in mind that the vitals of an elk is 2 times that big. Have I seen too many actual "long range" shooters where I shoot locally? No. Most guys struggle at the 400 yard line, and 400 yards is a relatively short distance... However, I would not make the broad statement that, "less than 1% of YOU regularly shoot ethically at 600+ yards". That is a blanket statement, as I believe there are probably some good shooters here, where far more than "1%" would be able to make ethical hits on big critters at 600. Regular Joe blow out in public? Yeah, I agree with your statement.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Jordan;
Top of the morning my friend, I hope that you and your fine family are as well as can be over on your side of the big hills.

Thanks for the thoughtful response Jordan, there's a lot of meat in there and yes I do use that euphemism intentionally.

If I can expand on a couple of thoughts you put forth, regarding bringing home meat, there's a commonly put forth argument that none of us "need" to hunt anymore as there's lots of food available from agricultural sources.

Since I'm me Jordan, I've given that a whole bunch of thought and believe that for some of us, especially men who I've talked to about this but definitely not male exclusive, there is a state of inner peace/wellness which we mentally require that is sometimes in part fulfilled with a full freezer.

Speaking personally, when we had horses, until we had the hay barn full, enough firewood stacked to make the next winter and a couple of animals in the freezer I had difficulty being at peace with myself. I can't articulate it differently than that at present.

For me it was/is a real thing and when I questioned other people about it, some were exactly on track with my thoughts - spooky almost really Jordan. Some of course looked at me like I had 3 heads and no doubt it gave them even more evidence to my mental deficiency.

Before leaving this part then, I'd say that some "serious gardeners" of which I was not one back then, but appear to be becoming one, had similar feelings which are close to, if not are low level anxiety if they don't have a good crop and by extension lots of preserves.

All that to say, I do not know what a full freezer means to you or anyone else - not really and truly I don't. Not on a deep level anyways and yah, I believe some of this goes way deep into our genes.

On shooting animals further than closer, one of the things I've noticed is that usually it's easier to judge their body language and level of alarm from greater distances. While it's not an absolute statement, I do think that usually animals that are not aware of us or at least alarmed by us tend to die more quickly with the same shot placement.

To be clear, I personally don't make a practice of shooting unwounded big game much beyond 300yds, but that's not always been the case and might not be again in the future. As with most things in life, my thoughts and beliefs change as I age and have more experiences in the activity, both positive and negative. Oh, aging has absolutely played a part in that too Jordan! laugh

Anyways, I am cognizant all that has nothing to do with the mechanics of long range shooting, but I'd argue that we won't go down the path of any activity without first having the inclination to do so. I've attempted to address the inclination part.

Sincere kudos again for your reply, it made me think and at my age that's always a good practice! wink

All the best to you and your family and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne
Dwayne,

Thank you, sir! We are all well here, and I hope the same for you and yours.

Thanks for your great and thought-provoking comments. I've often had the same thought and objection to the notion that none of us needs to hunt in today's modern society. Well that may be true for some, and less true for others. The need to hunt, which is even broader than the need for the meat that comes from hunting, varies from person-to-person, and covers a broad spectrum. Speaking specifically about the meat, aside from the peace-of-mind that comes from having a full freezer (something I certainly identify with), for many years my young family relied on the meat I acquired during hunting season to feed us throughout the year. We never bought red meat from the store, and that was a huge benefit to our budget as we struggled to make ends meet. These days we are a bit more financially comfortable, but it is still engrained in us that our red meat comes almost entirely from the field rather than from the store. We freeze, can, and cure our game meat, and as you mentioned, having a good storage of food does add to our peace-of-mind in an increasingly unstable world.

Good luck this fall! It's always great to hear from you.

Jordan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by memtb
The 10 ring is 12".

Thanks…..that’s “mo better”! I don’t know how I determined that it was 6”! 🤔 memtb

Here's a 500 yard target to give you an idea. Actually it is an F class 1,000 yard repair center, but has the same dimensions as the NRA 500 yard target. 10" 10 ring and 5" x ring:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
At 500 yards, it's pretty easy to hit, even in the wind:
Even with an AR10:
Even in schidty conditions like this: Hit that ^^^^^^2" diameter steel plate at even 400 yards consistently and just about any shot becomes easy...
I could barely make out the target through the smoke.

That target is pretty fn big. The 600 yard target is even bigger.
That's good shooting from a bench.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome pics and write up Dwayne.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
The 10 ring is 12".

Thanks…..that’s “mo better”! I don’t know how I determined that it was 6”! 🤔 memtb

Here's a 500 yard target to give you an idea. Actually it is an F class 1,000 yard repair center, but has the same dimensions as the NRA 500 yard target. 10" 10 ring and 5" x ring:
At 500 yards, it's pretty easy to hit, even in the wind:

Even with an AR10:
Even in schidty conditions like this: Hit that ^^^^^^2" diameter steel plate at even 400 yards consistently and just about any shot becomes easy...
I could barely make out the target through the smoke.

That target is pretty fn big. The 600 yard target is even bigger.
That's good shooting from a bench.

Shot from the prone. You see a bench in that picture? You know what prone is don't you? It's where you get down in the dirt and get dirty or lay on a nice pad like this:

Then you shoot like this:

Or this:

If you need help, I can teach you sometime..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you need help, I can teach you sometime..

Too funny... only on the Campfire would a member who just placed 17th out of 19 shooters in his recent "Long Range Comp" offer up shooting lessons.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not everyone can shoot at that range. Everyone who's practiced with a couple hundred rounds at that range knows whether they can or not.

It's really very simple and no need to over think or over complicate anything. You will want to start with a big target.

Anyone who says it's not ethical or it's not hunting is incorrect. If you can hit it consistently - it's ethical. If it's legal and you killed a wild game animal - it's hunting.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Well, since no other wise guys have said this yet, I will.

That's great shooting but I find your choice of backstops to be highly unorthodox.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole

That's great shooting but I find your choice of backstops to be highly unorthodox.
🤣
We were elk hunting in CO, standing on a ridge waiting while a couple of friends were driving up to us with a bull they loaded in the back of a toyoda. A ranch hand pulls up in a pickup, we gather around to see what he's been up to. I'm looking at the box of his truck, there's a line of bullet exit holes just below the top rail. I bust out laughing, every body else thinks I'm nuts (well... 😁). So the dude explains that he saw a coyote running, rests the handguard on his AR on the top rail of the box and rattles off a few rounds. The scope on his AR was mounted high on the rail. While the view in the scope was clear the muzzle was below the top rail on the opposite side. 🙄😁😅😅🤣🤣🤣

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Practice helps 5 rnds at 1200 yrds Rio7

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

10 rnds at 1000 yrds , the more you shoot the better your results will be. Rio7

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I have posted these pic's before, your not going to get good at long range unless you have a place to shoot L.R. and good optics, the rest is rifle looney B.S. Rio7

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RIO7

Practice helps 5 rnds at 1200 yrds Rio7
Nice!!!

Take it out to a mile and bust some 9" balloons with it?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by smokepole

🤣
We were elk hunting in CO, standing on a ridge waiting while a couple of friends were driving up to us with a bull they loaded in the back of a toyoda. A ranch hand pulls up in a pickup, we gather around to see what he's been up to. I'm looking at the box of his truck, there's a line of bullet exit holes just below the top rail. I bust out laughing, every body else thinks I'm nuts (well... 😁). So the dude explains that he saw a coyote running, rests the handguard on his AR on the top rail of the box and rattles off a few rounds. The scope on his AR was mounted high on the rail. While the view in the scope was clear the muzzle was below the top rail on the opposite side. 🙄😁😅😅🤣🤣🤣

I've heard of people doing the same thing when they rest their rifle on top of the cab and shoot across the top. The roofs have an arch to them and the view through the scope is clear but the bore is aimed at the roof. I think there was a fatality from that not too long ago, a guy was sitting in the truck and the bullet angled down through the cab.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bugger
I never thought this thread would get so many responses. I maintain what I said earlier. Flunk Hunting 101 and you'll need to shoot 600 yards.

I've read through this thread and there is good information, and one fellow seems to be full of it - Mr. Kindergarten man.
I remember reading about Taylor's formula and I bought into it. I also remember when 1,000 ft-lb's was considered minimum energy for killing whitetail and 2,000 ft-lb's was considered minimum for elk. There were a lot of theories...
I followed Elmer's writing, and I believed it then and I still think he was right regarding what his options were. All those things are in the past, things changed. MD's experience (other writers too) and writing has had a big influence on what I've come to believe. Though I've hunted up to 6 whitetails per year and 4 pronghorns plus now and then an elk. I believe that a 30-06 with a good 180 grain cup and core would have worked with every game animal I've taken. It's what I've used the most on deer. But in the last 20 years or so I want to try something new every time I go out.
My main shooting at 500 meters (or yards in some cases) were with M1's, M14's and Springfield's all with aperture sights. But I've also shot at PD's at that range and further with big game rifles for practice. It proved to me that shooting at game animals at over 400 yards is not my cup of tea and I prefer 100 yards or so if possible.

Some of the issues with long range shooting is something I don't see discussed much. Those are:
Where did that animal go after it was shot?
Will I be able to find the game?
Will the bullet/load create enough of a blood trail at that distance?
Will I find the game animal during daylight?
Will the game animal run down a ravine, and will I have to carry the meat out?

Add this---will the local grizz beat me to it? Plenty of places & situations where it will.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Aj300mag,

How about 6" dot 1800 yrds. Rio7

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good thread with great information from guys that CAN get the job done at distance.

My simple contribution to this thread isn’t a contribution at all but rather another “Tip of the hat” to our favorite campfire brother…Dwayne. As usual Dwayne, your words and pictures hit home. You always add a friendly dimension, even when the topic is “controversial” and your thoughts and feelings are something that I seem to innately understand. Thanks for being YOU! I hope that someday I can buy you dinner or coffee and get the privilege of shaking your hand. If you ever have plans to slip south of the Medicine Line let me know and I’ll base out of our Chelan house since it’s a shorter run to the Okanogan. God bless you and yours Dwayne!

Thanks to all for some interesting reading. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The ability to shoot 600+ yards ain't gonna do you a bit of good around here. you simply aren't going to find any place where you can put that skill to use. Hell most shooting ranges around here are only 100 yards so you aren't going to be able to practice long range anyway. There is one gun club in my County with a two hundred yard range and one in the next county that goes to 300 and that's the longest I know of anywhere near here. Doesn't really matter as far as hunting because it's mostly heavily wooded and rare to get a shot at a game animal farther than 100 yards. Being able to shoot quickly and accurately off hand out to 100 yards and hit a moving target will put a hell of a lot more venison on the meat pole than being able to place shots on target at long range.

Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,324
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.