Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello everyone. First of all, I apologize to those who've seen this rifle already in a thread on the Elk forum. I've received many comments and questions regarding the rifle so I thought I'd give it it's own thread.

This rifle is ULTRALIGHT. 7wsm, Rem Titanium short action, McM Edge Tech carbon fiber mtn. stock, and Lilja light contour 20" barrel. We added a Jewel trigger, titanium firing pin with lightweight aluminum bolt shroud and skeletonized the bolt handle and trigger guard. Weighs in at 4lbs, 10oz.

The load I'm using, in an effort to keep recoil to a minimum and to fully burn all the powder in the short 20" tube, is 57gr Varget behind 120gr Barnes TSX.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my rifle, in return I'll offer up some quality gear p0rn for ya smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very nice! What does she weigh? Does that short barrel have quite the blast when you touch it off?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
OOOPPSS!! Sorry, I really can read! Wow!!! That is LIGHT!

VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Huntr
Very nice! What does she weigh? Does that short barrel have quite the blast when you touch it off?

I haven't weighed it all up, but by itself it's 4.6lbs. When I first tried 168gr bullets with 70gr H1000 it had a ton of blast, that's another reason I went with a faster burning powder.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What kind of velocity are you getting with the 120 TSX?

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Very nice. How is the recoil with that setup.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
How does it shoot from unsupported positions?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful combination of components, VTi! Post it in the blueprints only thread, it belongs there too. smile

Model 600s in 308 Win and 6mm Rem, nuther one rebarreled to 22-250, matched pair of Model 660's in 6.5mm Rem Mag and 350 Rem Mag, NEED a 660 in 222.
VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Huntr
What kind of velocity are you getting with the 120 TSX?

The load I stuck with is a definite maximum for this rifle, very slight sticky bolt, but that's the way I like my hunting rifle's set up. I only chrono'd 3 strings of 3 shots each, and overall avg velocity was 3341fps, ES was 11 at 69 degrees F.

VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KLM300
Very nice. How is the recoil with that setup.

The recoil is perfectly manageable. Just for a comparison, my hunting partner had his 30-06 Rem 700, standard plastic stock model with a similar scope shooting factory Fed 165 Gamekings. We both agreed my 7wsm had lighter (or at the very least comparable) recoil.

I paid a good amount of attention to this because I really dislike rifles that have enough recoil to hinder my ability to make good shots in the field. I've spent enough days with .300wby, .340wby, .338RUM and so on to know I shoot more accurately with less recoil, especially in the prone position which I always prefer if the opportunity is available.
Thanks for your interest.

IC B3

VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by noKnees
How does it shoot from unsupported positions?

You know, I love shooting this rifle "off-hand" much better than I anticipated. The reason is because the balance point is very far back, due to the superlight, short barrel. This was surprising because on my tactical rifles I love a heavy bbl for exactly the opposite reason, being barrel heavy.

I can shoot it more accurately just standing, or kneeling with my elbow on my knee better than any rifle I've ever owned, no bs. When I throw up the rifle, settle the crosshairs, they stay put much better than I would have thought prior. Plus the very light barrel makes it very easy to pan the rifle following a target, and stop it with great control.

I'm sold on butt-heavy hunting weight rifles from now on.

VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 350Mag
Beautiful combination of components, VTi! Post it in the blueprints only thread, it belongs there too. smile

Thank you very much for the compliments on my little bundle of joy smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was going to ask you why would you go through all the trouble of saving an ounce then throw a heavy scope on there but before I opened my big mouth I looked up the weight of the scope and found out it's only 14oz. It's still a little heavier than I would like and not nearly as sleek as I would invision appropriate but not nearly what I thought it would be. Why is it that such a big scope is so light comparitively speaking?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How much weight could you have saved on the lug?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One more thing, do you want to sell it? (grin) I REALLY like the concept and the caliber is perfect!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like everything about it, except the trigger guard. I just replaced the one on my lightened m70, it was cut similarly. I just see too much chance for disaster.....just me. I will narrow mine but no more slots on the pressure side of the trigger. I am not nit picking so please don't take it as such, you have a very nice rig there.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I LOVE the rig, but I'm with you. The weight gained with a full guard could be saved with a perfectly adequate normal size lug.

VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bxroads
I was going to ask you why would you go through all the trouble of saving an ounce then throw a heavy scope on there but before I opened my big mouth I looked up the weight of the scope and found out it's only 14oz. It's still a little heavier than I would like and not nearly as sleek as I would invision appropriate but not nearly what I thought it would be. Why is it that such a big scope is so light comparitively speaking?

Hi there. Yes, the scope is deceiving regarding the weight. Basically it comes down to personal preference here, but I prefer a 50mm objective for 2 reasons. At dawn and dusk, I really notice an increase in usable shooting light. Also, a 50mm objective will always have a larger exit pupil (for any given magnification) than a smaller objective. I like this because when you throw up the rifle for quick off-hand shots, target acquisition is much faster with a 5mm exit pupil than a 4mm e.p. (or at least it is for me)... and those are the type of situations this rifle was made for.

I've owned and mounted many, many different pieces of glass on my hunting rifles, and for me -- I'll take a lightweight 50mm obj over a 2.5-8x36mm leupy any day. I know others will disagree, and will be completely valid, but for my needs I'll lug around an extra 2oz in the glass dept. for the quality and ease of use this scope provides. Just my $.02 here.

VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bxroads
One more thing, do you want to sell it? (grin) I REALLY like the concept and the caliber is perfect!

Well, I'm always ready to start a new project smile I've sold many, many custom rifles in the past that I've had no reason to sell other than wanting to move onto something different.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know others will disagree, and will be completely valid, but for my needs I'll lug around an extra 2oz in the glass dept. for the quality and ease of use this scope provides.

At a cost of 2oz, I say go for it!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,886
Posts18,518,273
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.