Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have to replace my bulk water storage tank it is rusting out after 70 years. I found a stainless 1000 gal tank that was used to transport ag. chemicals to the field to refill sprayers. Could the tank be cleaned enough to not have any leach out into the drinking water? Does anything sink into the stainless? I could use a plastic bulk tank but I don't like drinking from plastic anything it does leach chemicals.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pressure wash the interior, once with soap and a couple of times without. Drain completely after each wash.
Fill it up a few times and drain. Then taste

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you are going to take the chance that you can clean the tank properly.
You may look into some chemical test kits and test the water that has sat in the take for a while after you you go threw the steps to clean it.

Just a Thought

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Stainless milk tanker trailers are sanitized by sticking a steam cleaner wand into them and running the superheated steam inside for several hours. The same procedure might be used for purging a chemical tank. Ditto on getting a sample analyzed afterwards.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If it doesn't work out, cut it in half and gift it to JimConrad so he can right properly soak his knees in the bathtub.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Lawyers will line up at your dor to sue the crap out of anyone connected with the said tank should you get so much as a cold.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’d pass

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I’d use a plastic tank long before drinking from one used to haul pesticides/herbicides.

Maybe that’s just me.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dont do this. Seriously the naysayers have your back on this one.

.... like tears in the rain
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Ideally, one would heat the tank up hot enough to burn out anything that is left in the microscopic pores of the stainless. The nice thing about stainless though, is that it's pores are so incredibly small that the likelihood of anything being in the pores in volumes large enough to affect 1,000 gallons of water is incredibly miniscule. If it was me, I would simply wash it out with Dawn really well and rinse it, fill it up to the brim, let it sit a little bit, and then pull a sample. I am not a professional tank cleaner though, so there's that....

I have seen chemical tanks repurposed as non-potable water tanks though, and there may be a good reason why it's non-potable.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 08/31/22.
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hadn't thought about the lawyer part. There is a rent house on this well. I would like to find a bulk milk tank for less than $5000.00 as they are on ebay. Good advise thanks.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fugg.

That.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
If it doesn't work out, cut it in half and gift it to JimConrad so he can right properly soak his knees in the bathtub.

Lol, that is a damn fine idea! The man can finally take a proper bath. His wife will think she's on her honeymoon again.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Lol, that is a damn fine idea! The man can finally take a proper bath. His wife will think she's on her honeymoon again.

Fuggers!

Hahaha!

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bro in Law is wanting to turn a set of those into a giant smoker/bbq.
They were Dad’s and he was always pretty thorough bleaching them out and I don’t doubt Brother In Law will be thorough, but I pointed out, we’re taking chemicals, not bacteria.
BTW, these were last used in the late 80’s, back when you could by stuff you can’t use now.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Fuggers!

Hahaha!

If your leg turns neon green and falls off, you can get in touch with Remson.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Potsy
Bro in Law is wanting to turn a set of those into a giant smoker/bbq.
They were Dad’s and he was always pretty thorough bleaching them out and I don’t doubt Brother In Law will be thorough, but I pointed out, we’re taking chemicals, not bacteria.
BTW, these were last used in the late 80’s, back when you could by stuff you can’t use now.

If it is that old, I would swim away in that case.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Some of the clay based ag chemicals stick to sidewalls like glue.Leaving a residue that is almost impossible to get off,Using tank for potable water would be a Hard pass for me. I have been spraying ag chemicals for 40plus years and have seen it all.

1st John 4:7-8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rig up a CIP.

Rinse, caustic, rinse, strong acid to passivate.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to a farm supply store and get 5 gal pail of bulk tank acid and a bulk tank brush, it's food grade acid.

Last edited by DANNYL; 08/31/22.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 44automag, 450yukon, 21 invisible), 1,415 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.