Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
69 grains Reloader 26 and a 162 ELDX gets really close to 3k out of my Tikka.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 7mm Weatherby has similar case capacity. How’s the pressure variations with that cartridge? I’m guessing it’s not a problem, but it’s only a guess.

I never had an issue with my 700 7mm RM, by the way. But I’m not into maximum velocities in my rifles, prefer instead to get tiniest groups, even with the rifles meant for large game.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
OldSchoolBestSchool,

Yes, apparently there is something about the 7mm Remington Magnum that makes pressures vary widely--both up and down.

This wasn't apparent when the cartridge appeared in 1962, because the cupper-crusher measurement system then commonly used wasn't sensitive enough to detect it. But piezo-electronic measurement became the industry standard some years later, it was quite apparent--which is why SAAMI standard factory-load average pressures and muzzle velocities were dropped considerably.

This is widely known among the folks who run pressure laboratories. In fact, when a new piezo lab was built by a powder distributor around 2000, the local guy who was hired to run it was baffled by the wide variations he ran into when testing 7mm RM loads--and thought he must be doing something wrong.

But the folks who run such labs are quite generous with their info, so he called the head guy at a long-time lab and asked what he might be doing to cause such variations. The guy said, "Nothing. That's just the way the 7mm Remington Magnum acts!

Most of the pressure-lab folks I've talked to think it has something to do with the cartridge's shoulder angle, combined with the relatively short neck and chamber throat--partly because the .243 Winchester shows similar pressure variations--the reason the .243's SAAMI standard pressures and velocities were also reduced considerably after piezo-testing became the industry standard.

Good morning to you. I don't shoot 7mm RM but this I an interesting thread.

I would think that there were/are things that were/are correlated with these unpredictable pressure readings that a consumer can leverage.
1.) Are the issues more prevalent with heavy for caliber bullets? eg. are there pressure issues seen in, let's say, 140gr bullets not seen in 175gr bullets or vice versa?
2.) How about bullet form factors? Were more problems seen with boat tail bullets vs. flat based bullets? How 'bout bullets with the lead core exposed ( like a Partition ) vs an Interlock? Perhaps bearing surface plays into this?
3.) Are powder burn rates, within a bullet weight, mitigating factors? For example, a relatively fast burn rate powder for a given bullet weight vs a relatively slow burn rate powder.
4.) Seating depth considerations? How much free bore is given to a particular bullet? Does this matter?
5.) Your last paragraph is interesting. Obviously design spec's for the 7mm Rem Mag are not going to change but it looks like there are some things with this cartridge not well understood.

I may have to go out and buy a 7mm Rem Mag just to set up some DOE (Design Of Experiments) whereby an ANOVA ( Analysis Of Variance ) will shed some light on this...... nope I'll stick with my Boomer/Fudd 30-06, 270 WCF, and 6.5x55 cartridges.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Bugger
The 7mm Weatherby has similar case capacity. How’s the pressure variations with that cartridge? I’m guessing it’s not a problem, but it’s only a guess.

I never had an issue with my 700 7mm RM, by the way. But I’m not into maximum velocities in my rifles, prefer instead to get tiniest groups, even with the rifles meant for large game.

Good point re the Weatherby Mag.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bugger

Pretty sure it's not a case capacity issue. I'm to lazy to look it up, but I assume the 7mm WM has a longer neck, I know it has a different shoulder angle/shape.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Most of the pressure-lab folks I've talked to think it has something to do with the cartridge's shoulder angle, combined with the relatively short neck and chamber throat--partly because the .243 Winchester shows similar pressure variations--the reason the .243's SAAMI standard pressures and velocities were also reduced considerably after piezo-testing became the industry standard.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few more comments:

First, SAAMI lists three piezo pressures for rifle cartridges. The one most handloaders pay attention to (if they pay attention to SAAMI specifications at all) is Maximum Average Pressure, or MAP.

The other two are Maximum Probable Lot Mean (MPLM) and Maximum Probable Sample Mean (MPLSM), which basically indicate the variations in pressure.

The concern about the pressure variations in the 7mm RM involved the possibility of individual rounds exceeding what are considered "safe" pressures. These tend to be somewhat on the conservative side, because that was one of SAAMI's original intentions when it was organized in 1927, to make sure all commercial ammunition of a certain type/designation would be safe to fire in any commercial rifle chambered for that round.

Before then, ammo and firearms manufacturers basically made what they wanted to, so there were variations not just in pressures but dimensions of factory ammo and chambers. (Here it should be noted that adhering to SAAMI specifications is NOT mandatory for members, but voluntary. There's still occasional "experimenting" by members, though not nearly as much as there was before 1927.)

The SAAMI MAP for every commercial American 7mm "magnum" cartridge EXCEPT the 7mm Remington Magnum is 65,000 PSI--which is the maximum MAP allowed for any cartridge by SAAMI. The MAP for the 7mm RM is 61,000--due to the wide variations seen when piezo testing started becoming the industry standard. (It should also be pointed out that these variations also included individual rounds with considerably LOWER pressures, but obviously SAAMI wasn't concerned about those.)

The 7mm Weatherby Magnum doesn't show the same pressure variations as the Remington round, even though it has a very similar shape and powder capacity. This is probably due to the Weatherby "freebore," essentially a longer-than-average chamber throat, which tends to "flatten" the pressure curve, resulting in less variation in pressures.

But the other commercial American 7mm magnum rounds that also have a MAP of 65,000 PSI include the 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum, 7mm Short Action Ultra Magnum, 7mm Shooting Times Westerner and 7mm Winchester Short Magnum. You can look at the chamber drawings on the SAAMI site to find variations in throat dimensions to see if you can "solve" this pressure-variation mystery, but it has been well-documented for around half a century. (Here's a link to that part of the SAAMI site: https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...CFR-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf)

I will also note that one of the many pressure-lab people I've interviewed over the years, the head pressure guy at a major American ammo company, said the .243 Winchester shows the same sort of wide pressure variations--but only with heavier bullets, in the 100+ grain range, not with lighter bullets. In fact, he also said more .243 barrels have been "blown off" pressure-lab receivers during testing than with any other cartridge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well if it easy to figure out…

Short necks like on the 350 RM and 300 Savage don’t seem to cause a pressure problem. Sharp shoulders on various cartridges don’t seem to be an issue.

Why the 243 and not the 22-250 or the 6.5 C. or the 260 Rem? (I always knew the 6mm was a better cartridge than the 243 by the way whistle.)

Sometimes trial and error is the solution.

The test lab at Illion, shot bushel baskets of 350 Rem Mag before Remington released that cartridge. I wonder what tests are run on rifles chambered with cartridges being released in general.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One case characteristic the .243 Winchester and 7mm Remington Magnum share is a shoulder angle which, combined with their short necks, concentrates hot powder gas in front of the case mouth--where it causes quicker throat erosion than most other rifle cartridges, including the 6mm Remington, which has both a steeper shoulder and longer neck than the .243.

And contrary to what many shooters believe, the early stages of throat erosion tend to INCREASE pressure, instead of reducing it, due to the rougher throat. This has been demonstrated many times in piezo labs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
OK ..... since MV is a function of the pressure curve, are the hand-loaders out there reporting more MV variation when working up a load?

BTW here is a good thread from a few years back on this topic.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1662047/1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, there has been a bunch of "discussion" on this subject before. Which proves nothing about actual pressures--because it often involves stuff like primer flattening, which has been proven many times to be pretty much irrelevant--unless a primer blows.

Bugger, I don't know why you might believe cases like the .300 Savage and .350 Remington Magnum might apply to "magnum" of much larger powder capacity with much smaller bores.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Throat a 7MM RM so it can breath. This has worked in every single one I’ve done that in. Velocities are where they are expected to be. ES and SD’s are good. Case life is good and accuracy is exceptional.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strange thread because the 7mm as the 7mm Rem Mag is pretty proven.

I had good luck with it.

Grizzly at 620 yds.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Elk at 350 going away.

Bull @ 800yds single shot.

7MM is a good caliber and when loaded in the Rem version it pretty close to the best big game round.

That said I prefer a 1/2 MM less diameter if given a choice but I can make the 7MM work pretty well.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I could never understand how long range hunters prefer 6.5’s while long range guys that shoot for score pick 7’s.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Interesting... back in 1986 I traded for a BAR in 7 RM with a Leupold scope. It was a special order that was never picked up by the client. I commenced handloading for it right away using mostly 150s, but also some 175s. I didn't yet own a chronograph but used book loads. It appeared to me that the "book loads" I'd gotten from RIFLE magazine, that was used in a 7 RM BAR, were overly "hot". The ejected brass was literally so hot that I coldn't pick them up with bare hands! But far worse was the fact that all fired cases didn't need resizing as the necks had never expanded!

In reading the lengthy article in RIFLE on the BAR in 7 RM, the author (don't recall his name) had the same experience with "his" BAR, or the one being tested! He went on to explain in some detail that it was a common fault with early made 7 Rem Mags (not only in the BAR) due to different spec reamers being used in manufacture. From that he said SAAMI reduced MAP for the 7 RM. I recall the article well... anyway I returned the rifle to the dealer and he gave me a new .300 Win Mag M70, + the best scope he had in return.

Since that experience, I purchased my first chronograph and have never been without one since. But I've also owned a few more 7 Rem Mags (not semis), the best of which (in my view) was a Ruger #1 with a 26" barrel that would shoot a 175gr Partition right at 3000 fps over a good dose of RL-22. Also, I've owned a Rem Classic in 7 Wby Mag with a 24" that would equal the 26" Ruger #1 in firing 175s at 3000 fps using the same powder.

That's a FWIW.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 09/11/22.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
150 NBts in front of 69 gr of RL 26 print groups down in the .4s from my(GASP!) 2019 mode 700 BDL. the handful of Deer and black bear I've taken with it have given me no reason to denigrate it

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
150 NBts in front of 69 gr of RL 26 print groups down in the .4s from my(GASP!) 2019 mode 700 BDL. the handful of Deer and black bear I've taken with it have given me no reason to denigrate it
Yep that's a great load.I shot this group with 69.0grs of Reloader 26 with a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my Remington 700 Stainless Steel Long Range 7mag.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

67.5grs of Reloader 26 with a 160gr Accubond out of the same rifle was good too.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

As I noted, the wider pressure variations with the 7mm RM have been well-established in numerous pressure labs.

That does NOT mean, however, that they occur with every powder and bullet. But it's why the SAAMI MAP is only 62,000 PSI.

John

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I could never understand how long range hunters prefer 6.5’s while long range guys that shoot for score pick 7’s.

I've also wondered about this. It must be like the Ford Chevy thing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1minute, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,170
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.