Hop To
Page 17 of 1,842 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yeah it pulls it in like a dry sponge.

I expect I'll have to hit it again next spring but I just want to get some on this fall yet. for my 8' high walled 24'x32' shack I have 10 galons. guess I'll get one good coat for sure & just keep going around it till I run out.

I have my uncles airless sprayer so it should go fast, masking windows/doors will take longer than anything else.

Something clever here.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Those sprayers are somthing else. Great for your application. Ya know, we really never noticed dad's until a few weekends ago. Don't know if it took that long, or we just didnt notice it. He isn't going to shoot it again this year and I won't be up til thursday, so it won't be done this year. but like you said at least it has somthing on it for protectioin.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a couple points of clarification re: The Saga of Sherpa Kurt

1. "Sherpa Kurt and the Dryer" is merely a continuation of "Sherpa Kurt in Peaches' Lap".

2. Big Drift has left out notable chapters of the Saga namely:

"Sherpa Kurt and the Pac Man Shooters"
"Sherpa Kurt 'putting down' the Pronghorn"
"Sherpa Kurt Goes to Linton (Bar Girls)"
"Sherpa Kurt Goes to Bowman (The Bar Hag from Baker)"
"Sherpa Kurt Can't Say 'No' to the Shot-Girl"
"Sherpa Kurt: Suzie Q"

God knows what is in store this year ...

GE

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
excellent stuff.

Something clever here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds like you guys need to get together and have someone type a complete copy of the Sherpa adventures and then take it to camp with you. Would make for some great reflections on the past.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sound concept JRowan ... however, The Saga of Sherpa Kurt is a neverending story on the most primal of levels. As "the tribe" we maintain the tradition of storytelling as a way of passing such legends on to the youth (when they are old enough to be "not so youth"). Besides ... written copy is nowhere near as entertaining nor durable.

After all, when you spill a pitcher of beer into the vessal of a storyteller, the ink may slur but the story just gets better!

GE

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
poetry.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm going for a drive by myself today. gonna go right now.

Going to pick up some lunber for shack exterior trim... some used green treat for ... for what ever I can use it for...

bout a 3 hour drive back to the place I used to run around & play with my best friend. My home town.

I'm going to try to get some things straightened out, in my head, in my heart or what ever.

I don't know what I'm doing really, I feel like I'm going to meet somebody.

Having an exceptionally difficult day.

I've got an old picture here of myself with my cousin, dated 1972. Picture was taken at my grandma's house. I'm on the right, my best buddy on the left. We were nearly inseperable even back then at that age & our bond strenghthened from there forward for another 35 years...

Anyways, just wanted to put this up, quality is poor being a picture of a picture (no scanner), but here it is.. me & my buddy. (with a couple of "dollies we stole from the girls wink )

[Linked Image]

Dave

Something clever here.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
northern_dave,

think it is just aftershocks from your cousin Sounds like you have done a good job of keeping your mind and heart busy with the hunting cabin, sooner or later it comes back....

Hope you feel better soon.

Pete

Acts 10:9-13
My hunting journal:
pete.scpredatorcontrol.com
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,

A man can sort out a lot of things in his heart and head with a drive on a beautiful day like today. take a drive to the cabin and get square with youself. no better place to do it than in the woods. My spirtuallity is usualy at its peak when I'm alone in the woods. Talk outloud to whoever may be listening at the time and it seems to help a lot.

Keep in mind that maybe you ARE going to meet somebody... he'll be there trust me on that one.

Safe travels.

Tom

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hang in there Bud. I know exactly how your feeling. He is a man that will truly be missed until we can be with him again someday. A drive by yourself might be just what the doctor ordered. Tom is right. He will be there...

Jim

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
thanks guys, little better day today.

A drive through my hometown were we made so many memories helped.

Looking around in that little town, a lot of things are gone.. the old school house where we went to school together K through 6, it's gone but I can still see it there when I drive by. I can see us clowing around in the playground out behind the school.

It was a quick trip but it was good.

I got to see my mom, hadn't seen her since several months before the accident. She has purchased an old cafe that was being closed down in my home town. She's doing a bunch of repairs & replacing the tables & chairs amoungst other things. She gave me a couple of the old cafe tables & a set of chairs to go with them. I'll use them out at the hunting shack. I know that my cousin & I sat at those tables together many times as kids... heck I wouldn't doubt if the gum stuck to the undersides was put there by us in the 70's!! smile

I also got some rough cut 1x4 oak boards from her that we will use for exterior & interior window, door, corner & fascia trim. (like we did on the out house in the pics further up the post)

And I grabbed some 4x4 treated posts & 2x6 treated lumber that was used as fence material at one time. It'll become deer stand material now.

beter get after it here, busy day.

Dave

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Do you use the rough cut board as they are or do you cut them into trim material?

I'm finishing my basement and my trim for the base boards, windows and doors is 1x4 maple. Some of may get paint I have not decided yet.

A cafe table seems fitting for a shack as well as the chairs, not why just is.

Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
scroll up & check out the pics of the crapper. the door trim, outside corners & the facsia around the roof is all done with this rough 1x4 oak. all I do is cut to length, the width is all over the map. I figure it just adds caractor, plus it was free smile

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Charactor it does add. In my other house I use a router to round the corners, but I like it all square better. I do have it all plained to width so it will all match. I my use some 3" around the windows just for somthing different. We'll see how if I have enough money left to buy more.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
just found this picture of me & some of my amigos one weekend a while back.

from the looks of it... there should be quite a few years of good hunting company in my future. youngsters-o-plenty smile

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

Glad to see your doing better, also some advice from an expert at making myself feel better. Get out in the woods with family and or friends then start a campfire add some steaks or burgers, and smoores for desert. Stay by the fire late into the night just visiting.. You WILL feel better! If ya still don't then get busy talking in a place by yourself to whomever you need to talk to, like others have said he/she and God will Always be there....

Might even let the wife in on how you feel that day, you'd be surprized howmany guys I talk to that don't talk with thier wife. My wonderful otherhalf Always listens well and gives the right advice.. Sometimes I may not want to hear what she is saying but more often then not she is right.. Yes I'm still a Man, I'm simply a Man with a good relationship with the other half...LOL

Last edited by wabo; 10/26/07.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey Dave. Still at work. Do you feel sorry for me yet??? ha ha

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Nay.

smile

hope you got out & got yerseff some dem "fessants" this weekend.

Spent the whole weekend at the shack, it was frickin great.

got the stain on the outside (quite the story there)

and I have some new pictures but i'll post em in the morning sometime.

Dave

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
OK, here we go, we got the oil stain on the shack, I opened the 1st can & couldn't believe my eyes. I was expecting kind of a semi clear root beer colored oil but the dang stuff looked like paint, like rust colored paint. We didn't want a solid colored stain, we wanted to be able to see woodgrain. We didn't care if the stain darkened the wood but we didn't want it one solid color.

I sprayed some on a scrap piece of exterior sheting to see if it did something magical once it hit the wood... no dice.

We watched it for like 1/2 hour but it still just looked like paint, about the color of dead pine needles.
So, we headed to town very frustrated knowing we had wasted about $150 on the wrong kind of finish & we were going to just go with linseed oil this time because we knew what that would do for us.

so, drive to town, pick up $130 worth of linseed oil & head back out to the shack. We get back to find that the scrap board we sprayed actually looked pretty good crazy

So, we sprayed it. We'll take the linseed back today.

Here's how the outside looks now.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And, some of the crew inside having some lunch.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some more of the inside:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/Picture005b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/Picture007b.jpg[/img]

And, one for Tzone.... an impression in the sand from Mr fork toed rutty-shmutty buck:
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/Picture033.jpg[/img]

Something clever here.

Page 17 of 1,842 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,374
Posts18,488,432
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.