Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In the current issue of Rifle, Dave Scovill pretty much takes credit for the idea of cutting the three groves in the x bullet. He menitioned that he discussed it with Randy and later requested a crimping groove for a 300 grain x bullet in 405 wcf.

Based on Dave's conversation with Randy and the experiment with the 405 crimping groove, the Barnes engineers took it from there and the TSX was born (Dave wanted to call it the Ringtail but that did not settle with Barnes).

So, based on Daves account, it appears that he is responsible for the development of the TSX. I have found that Dave has a tendancy to give himself a lot of credit, in a back door kinda way, and I was wondering what the actual truth of the matter is.

Anyone know!

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Well, I think Bob Fulton at Hawk Bullets was doing it (i.e., cutting grooves) well before that. So for either Scovill or Barnes to take credit for it is somewhat revisionist. Moreover, multiple groove designs of cast bullets goes way back into the 19th century, if not before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1, grooved cast bullets have been around for a while.

Now with even more aplomb
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not read the article, but if as you describe, Dave is telling a tall one here...

Solid copper bullets have been around commercially for much longer than Barnes has been making them (and they have been copied multiple times too).

Gs bullets

I doubt they were the first, but I do know they pre-date Barnes (even with Dave help!) by many years.

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard John Lazzaroni took credit for it as well FWIW.
The only thing I care about is SOMEONE did it.......
As I love my TSX"S..............

IC B2

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have not adopted TSX's yet but I can see that they will be in my future...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I read that story too because I wanted to see how it tracked my genesis of the Barnes monometal bullets (and to see if they are officially on Barnes v.4 or v.5).

The first ringed jacketed bullet I used was the .224/55 grain Nosler Zipedo. Next were the GS solids in .375/270 and the North Fork .375s. Then the Barnes TSX.

Of course lead bullets have had all manner of rings, grooves and appurtenances for hundreds of years.

I have no knowledge of Mr. Scovill's participation, because "Hell I Wasn't There" (to borrow from Mr. Keith). <---humor

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
257Bob - my impression of Mr. Scovill's disbursement of credit jibes with yours. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well, Scovill says in his story that "...we discussed the idea of cutting grooves in the shank..."

He doesn't say who all was present besides himself and Randy Brooks (president of Barnes). Could be several other people participated in this particular discussion.

Scovill also says "Randy agreed the concept might work..." which suggests that someone other than Randy Brooks first broached the idea, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was Scovill. It doesn't even mean that nobody had suggested it to Brooks on a previous occassion.

Strictly speaking, all Scovill is really saying in his story is that he was there when it was discussed on a particular day. Guess it's our fault if we read something more into it. wink

- TJM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave and I both talked about grooving X bullets long before Barnes got around to doing it on the X bullet. It was common knowledge that grooved bullets offered many advantages - which is why North Fork and GS were already doing it.
Dave and Randy Brooks have been close friends for a long time and all Dave did was suggest that Randy Brooks try it. I don't think Dave is trying to take any credit for "discovering" gooves. He was simply asking Randy and Connie to give them a try. He likewise suggested that they try a plastic tip on the new bullets.
If any of you ask Randy about this I'm sure he will confirm it as well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dave has also been casting bullets for a long, long time and hence was well aware of the advantages of grooves--and that grooved bullets of all sorts have been around for a much longer time than he has.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Maybe I missed something. As mentioned by others grooved bullet shanks weren't new. My take was that Scofy made a suggestion and supported a change, not that he invented grooves. I think that was the Lovin' Spoonfull with their song "Groovin". Does that make the TSX an old Hippie throwback? smirk

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootem
I think that was the Lovin' Spoonfull with their song "Groovin".

Nope, the song was written and performed by The Young Rascals (aka The Rascals), and was a #1 song in 67.
--------

From the Dept of Redundancy Dept: Back in 2004 I posted here a quote from a paragraph of an Elmer Keith article in The American Rifleman from April 1937. Keith described his involvement in the manufacture and shooting of a bronze monometal bullet in 25 caliber, 77 grains, boat-tailed, spitzer, with an open point and cavity extending half the bullet length. Except for metal type, it was pretty much a TSX.

Elmer and his friends didn't gamble their livelihood on the public's acceptance of the bullet. Brooks did, and deserves the reward.

--Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
...the original screw machine Nosler Partitions had a relief groove over the partition.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've still got some of those old grooved NP's on the shelf. I can remember reading years ago when Elmer Keith was remeniscing about lathe-turned bronze bullets, I seem to recall his saying they shot very accurately but couldn't be expected to expand... Does anyone remember the wasp-waisted bullets Herters used to sell, "wasp-waisted sonic" or some such thing. Herters never had a problem coming up with descriptive names.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cra1948
I can remember reading years ago when Elmer Keith was remeniscing about lathe-turned bronze bullets, I seem to recall his saying they shot very accurately but couldn't be expected to expand...

In 1937, Keith wrote two articles for Amereican Rifleman describing experiences with two very different types of bronze bullets. Both types were hand-made individually on lathes.

In the April issue he wrote about bronze bullets which Charles O'Neil made for experiments with the .250 O'Neil Magnum. These were the grooved bullets with the front cavity I mentioned above. These bullets expanded well, blowing large holes in porcupines, jack rabbits, and a car-crippled dog.

In the July issue Keith wrote about some bronze bullets in .220 Swift ammunition. This is probably the report you remember, since Keith referred to it in his later writing. The Swift rifle and ammunition was supplied by Wotkyns, whose work had prompted Winchester to introduce the Swift in 1935. I supsect that the bullets were turned by Sweaney, who was Wotkyns co-worker in California at that time.

The Swift bullets were of two types, one of 55 grains with a solid shank of groove diameter. The other of 52.5 grains had a body of bore diameter with two bands of barrel groove diameter; externally it probably resembled a TSX. These were solid bullets and very accurate, but both types failed to expand when Keith and a young Bob Hagel shot jack rabbits with them.

--Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought it was interesting that the "history of the X" did not mention the XLC..... FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I recall reading where Dave said that the Cape Buffalo that he killed in Africa with the Turnbull 50 express wieghed 2 tons. A bit of an overstatement to say the least...

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Dutch
I thought it was interesting that the "history of the X" did not mention the XLC..... FWIW, Dutch.

Failures are definitely orphans. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does anyone remember the wasp-waisted bullets Herters used to sell, "wasp-waisted sonic" or some such thing.

That was a blast from the past. eek Man I loved gettin that catalogue when I was a young fella.

Model 600s in 308 Win and 6mm Rem, nuther one rebarreled to 22-250, matched pair of Model 660's in 6.5mm Rem Mag and 350 Rem Mag, NEED a 660 in 222.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,876
Posts18,518,127
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.