Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
What brand, make or model are you using for ash clean-up in and around the wood stove?

I have a shop-vac brand, it is pretty OK, but the filter doesn't let a lot of the finner stuff through.

I have a Ryobi cordless vac, it is handy, quiet, and powerful, but would rather not clog it up.

I see the ash-specific ones have "spark arrestor" metal mesh around the filter. Not that I would be vacuuming up cherry-red coals, on purpose anyway.

Real-life experiences are appreciated.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I used a whisk broom, metal dustpan and a small galvanized bucket.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MD521
Yep, keep it simple

Romans 5:1
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Originally Posted by MD521
Yep, keep it simple

I have those, not what I was asking for.

I need a vac to clean the ash out of, around and through the wood stove.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No you don't. You just think you do....

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought a hand held Milwaukee battery operated two years ago. We use it all over the house, on the rear deck, and around the wood stove. It has proven to be a very valuable tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-0882-20-Attachments-Accessories-Batteries/dp/B01M1ORKN0/ref=sr_1_12?crid=1UL8Q439GUAU4&keywords=milwaukee+vacuum&qid=1664802744&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjkwIiwicXNhIjoiNC4yNSIsInFzcCI6IjMuOTQifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=milwaukee+va%2Caps%2C242&sr=8-12

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
What brand, make or model are you using for ash clean-up in and around the wood stove?

I have a shop-vac brand, it is pretty OK, but the filter doesn't let a lot of the finner stuff through.

I have a Ryobi cordless vac, it is handy, quiet, and powerful, but would rather not clog it up.

I see the ash-specific ones have "spark arrestor" metal mesh around the filter. Not that I would be vacuuming up cherry-red coals, on purpose anyway.

Get a better filter. Lots of choices.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Ok then I WANT one. Happy now that I've cleared up the semantics?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A lot of Ash Vacuums on the market, just search for them. They have a pretty wide range of prices and some can handle warm ash.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

I dont know squat about the subject matter.
Cold dead fine ash cleaning of a wood stove.
My experience is limited to a dust pan and small sweeping brush or hand trowel .
Or a trimmed fir tree shoved up and down stove pipes at deer camp long ago in Maine to clean out creosote build up.

Why not try modifying the filter?
Punch some stiff wire thru it or small thin nails and open it up somewhat in places?

Might work and a simple solution??
Only be out a filter if it is a flop and go get another.

Sometimes a Rube Goldberg mod works, sometimes it dont.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by taylorce1
A lot of Ash Vacuums on the market, just search for them. They have a pretty wide range of prices and some can handle warm ash.

That is exactly the problem, the market seems saturated with options. I was just looking for some that a guy has tried and succeeded with.

Reny, for the $60 most these vacs cost, I can't see the point in dorking around and trying to make something work. My view may be convoluted, though. Most of the ash-specific vacs have metal lining in the hose and metal spouts as well, this is where I see the biggest advantage over the run-of-the-mill ShopVac. But I appreciate the on-topic response nonetheless.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just use a regular shop vac, but.....I leave it outside because it gets dusty, and I use a series of hoses I rigged up, about 30 ft long, works good.
I also leave the vac outside where it wont burn anything down if there are any hot ones in there, and there can be.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 673
I just use a regular shop vac, but.....I leave it outside because it gets dusty, and I use a series of hoses I rigged up, about 30 ft long, works good.
I also leave the vac outside where it wont burn anything down if there are any hot ones in there, and there can be.

I like that idea...keep the mess outside. As to the point of there could be hot ones in there, yeah...I burned down a ShopVac filter once on a pellet grill, 2 days after using it. Hard to believe there was still a tiny cherry in there.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I am liking the looks of this contraption. The metal crevice tools are cool too. The spark arrestor system seems well thought out.

All the above is speculation on my part.

ShopVac Ash Vacuum

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 673
[/b]I also leave the vac outside where it wont burn anything down if there are any hot ones in there[b], and there can be.

THIS, ABSOLUTELY. Most wood stove caused house fires in UP are started by improper or careless handling of ashes.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Loveless Cheetah ash vacuum. It was expensive, about $250. Now you guys might think I'm crazy for spending that kind of money, but here's why. I used to use a regular old shop vac to vacuum out my pellet stove. It worked fine for a while because I would let the ashes cool beforehand. One day I did not wait long enough apparently. The shop vac filter caught on fire and the vac started smoking in my living room. I quickly picked it up and ran with it toward the door. As I was running through the kitchen, my wife came home to have me yelling, "Get out of the way! Get out of the way!". I put the vac in the snow and quickly opened it up and took care of it.

After vacuuming the pellet stove, I now set the Cheetah vac in the middle of the garage floor, well away from anything combustible. The next day, I dump the ashes in a galvanized steel trash can. I know $250 is a lot of money for an ash vac, but mine has been working perfectly for nearly 15 years. And I haven't burned the house down.

Last edited by skinnyjimmy; 10/03/22.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." - George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a specialty ash vacuum at Tractor Supply. It was awful. Tossed it, and went back to a steel shopvac, with bag and filter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This guy knows of what he speaks. ^^^

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Ok then I WANT one. Happy now that I've cleared up the semantics?
OK, it's your money.

I've got better things to spend mine on.

Ash scoop came with the fireplace tools I picked up. More than good enough. Stove manufacturer literature says the stove actually works better with some ash on the bottom. I burn until I get a good inch + in there, scoop it out into a galvanized bucket with lid. Hearth tiles get swept with a bench brush or small broom, into a metal dustpan.

You want an expensive vacuum.....................go for it I say.

Hopefully you can find an American made one and think of it as Pahntr's stimulus program.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Never used these

But they are built locally in Price Utah

https://www.lovelessash.com/ourhistory.php

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,716
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.