Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have finally gotten to the point where it is time to have it done. I know several have had this done here on the fire, any tips or suggestions? If the left one goes well, the right knee is next..

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Follow up therapy is the key. Don’t shirk it. I highly recommend them. Pick the best, most experienced doctor that you can find. Ask around.

Ask about avoiding the possibility of blood clots.

Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had both of mine done. Most recently the right, about 6 months ago.

Mighty painful for a good long while. But still FAR preferable to the debilitating arthritis I was afflicted with.
There is light at the end of the tunnel. I am glad to have them done.
A good PT provider is essential.
My wife was critical in my recovery. For some time after the surgery, I was pretty much useless.
Pick a good orthopedic surgeon and go for it, Brother!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I need one, but have heard too many horror stories of the ones that didn't work out. I have hardware in my back and a replaced shoulder. Neither is anything to brag about. I have been getting the rooster comb injections for two years now, once every six months. It makes it bearable.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had my left knee replaced last June. Painful the first week or so but worth it. I'm going on a hunt this November that I would never have been able to enjoy without the surgery. Scheduled for the other one this December. If it goes as well I might just be able to make a bucket list hunt that I thought before the surgery was out of the question.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jumping through the hoops in that direction as well just got my first cortisone shot in my right knee 1 1/2 months ago...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Everyone will be along to tell you about it, the one thing I can say is don’t have them replaced any sooner than 6 months apart, if I had it to do over it would be a full year, I was told after I had both done 3 months apart it is the most invasive surgery there is except heart surgery. Good Luck

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Angus55
Everyone will be along to tell you about it, the one thing I can say is don’t have them replaced any sooner than 6 months apart, if I had it to do over it would be a full year, I was told after I had both done 3 months apart it is the most invasive surgery there is except heart surgery. Good Luck

They do beat you up pretty good.

You can watch the full procedure on YouTube if so inclined.

Watching that and then realizing that you’ll get up and walk the same afternoon is pretty amazing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You'll wonder why you waited so long to get the TKA done!

If you don't have a bicycle, get one. You don't list your location or procedure date, so you might prefer to get an indoor bike. I really like the recumbent.

Ride the bike for at least two months prior to the surgery. Having that strength BEFORE the sx, makes the recovery more bueno and easier.

Be sure to go to the best surgeon you can find, not necessarily the dude that "does the most". That can be a false metric.

Ask as many people that have had the sx who they used. If you know any nurses, ask them about what surgeon has the best outcomes. Research the doc's rating and infection rate online.

Good luck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
At 73 I will be following this closely. Have had full replacement in both hips and the steroid shots in my right knee. Last week got the first rooster comb shot. So only time will tell. Good luck on your decision.

Jim

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went through all of the shots for both knees and they were strictly temporary or didn't work at all.
I had both knees replaced seven years ago, (a month apart) and have been praising the doctor since. Not a single problem whatsoever. I was 69 when I had them done and after therapy a friend and I hiked over 900 miles in the hills around town in the first 4 years. We quit counting but they are still doing great. I think the main thing is to take your therapy serious, and don't ever quit walking !

Go for it, you won't be sorry!

PS I had an accident a couple years ago, and broke my left hip. The therapy was kind of tough, but in a couple weeks I was out hiking in the hills and I forget that I ever had it replaced.

I know a lot of guys my age that had both knees done at the same time. They had no problems at all .

Last edited by kennymauser; 10/03/22.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Knees have been bad since '87 or so.. Tried PT shots etc. Nothing really worked beyond a month or so. Going on 68, retired to a 30 acre property. Didn't really realize how much work and walking is required.. Left knee is really limiting what I can do now so time to take the plunge. Wife has an indoor bike, and PT appointments already setup. Probable miss this year's deer season, to bad as the trail cam says the food plot I put in is really working well. Several 6-to-10-point bucks around.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ninety days of hell. Do the physical therapy.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jim0149
At 73 I will be following this closely. Have had full replacement in both hips and the steroid shots in my right knee. Last week got the first rooster comb shot. So only time will tell. Good luck on your decision.

Jim

Knee replacement is much more difficult than hip replacement.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Ninety days of hell. Do the physical therapy.

I could not bend it for a month. I could not drive for 2 months. I really worked at it, and eventually I came up to speed fast. After a year it is way better than the old knee, but 90% of my other knee. I would do it again, but a lot tougher than I thought. I did PT 2-3 times a week at a really good place, and I worked it hard everyday.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get THE BEST SURGEON you can find
Do therapy, before the surgery, on the leg that your are having surgery on to strengthen it
Listen to the surgeon and ask questions
Get up and get moving after surgery
Get off the pain pills ASAP
Get up and get moving
Get in-home therapy right after your surgery
When they say PULL, you pull until you can't pull any more
When the say BEND, you bend until you can't bend any more
Get up and get moving
Walker--crutch--or cane use whatever works to keep moving
I've had both knees replaced and I have NO PAIN and NO problems 11 years from the first
Did I mention GET UP AND GET MOVING-----ASAP

Good luck

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
One brother had both replaced, another brother one replaced. Both had a lot of pain, but said best decision they ever made.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had my right knee replaced October 2021. I strongly suggest at least 6 weeks of physical therapy before the surgery. It is very painful the first couple of weeks. I did pt post op for 2 months. I’m glad I got it done and hope I don’t have to do the left one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MD521
Get THE BEST SURGEON you can find
Do therapy, before the surgery, on the leg that your are having surgery on to strengthen it
Listen to the surgeon and ask questions
Get up and get moving after surgery
Get off the pain pills ASAP
Get up and get moving
Get in-home therapy right after your surgery
When they say PULL, you pull until you can't pull any more
When the say BEND, you bend until you can't bend any more
Get up and get moving
Walker--crutch--or cane use whatever works to keep moving
I've had both knees replaced and I have NO PAIN and NO problems 11 years from the first
Did I mention GET UP AND GET MOVING-----ASAP

Good luck

^^^^This^^^^

Haven't had a knee done, but left hip is prosthetic and right shoulder is prosthetic.
Right ankle has two lag screws. Probably 3/8"×2 1/2"!

Don't know where you are, but if you're near OKC, try McBride on Edmond. Those guys are amazing!

Originally Posted by jim0149

Jim

They offered me cortisone shots in my right shoulder. I looked the doctor square in the eye and told him, "Hell no! Schedule me for surgery!"
He laughed and told me, "Good choice."
He estimated a shot "might" work for a month if I was lucky. More than likely less. Shoulder was on BAD shape!

PT on hip was a piece of cake. Just get up and walk...and walk...and walk!
Right shoulder?
Knew the therapist from another fiasco. If my right shoulder had been any good, we would have "throwed down"! Damn he hurt me! BUT....when he got through, my shoulder was almost like new!

PT can be hell, but if done correctly it's worth every ache and pain.

I'm looking at a left elbow replacement in time. It's bone on bone. Weight restrictions on the right shoulder is 25 pounds. Left elbow replacement restricts me to 10 pounds on the left side.
Damage an elbow replacement with a fall and it can't be "fixed".

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Follow up therapy is the key. Don’t shirk it. I highly recommend them. Pick the best, most experienced doctor that you can find. Ask around.

Ask about avoiding the possibility of blood clots.

Good luck.
^^^THIS!^^^

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,316
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.