Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Finally, something to report to those readers who ask on a recurring basis “what’s going on with the National Rifle Association?”

They’re not referring to the NRA’s day-to-day work..that continues.

They’re curious about litigation. Primarily the New York Attorney General’s campaign against the New York-chartered organization.

Last Thursday, a Manhattan judge gave New York Attorney General Letitia James the go-ahead to continue efforts to appoint and independent monitor to oversee the NRA’s finances, along with an effort to reclaim millions of dollars in back-salary from CEO Wayne LaPierre.

The ruling from NY Supreme Court Justice Joel Cohen allows James to pursue both measures when the two-year old lawsuit finally goes to trial.

While there’s no quantification of the amounts, James seeks to recover what her office calls significant amounts of LaPierre’s salary since 2014. LaPierre FYI, has made more than $1 million each of those years. According to court filings, he is currently under contract to earn $1.5 million through 2025.

James’ lawsuit alleges LaPierre and three other NRA executives “lined their pockets” with member donations, using membership funds for everything from luxury vacations to chartered aircraft for family members.

Lawyers for Mr. LaPierre and the NRA disagree, and have argued against the threat of a court-imposed monitor, calling it as a “de facto takeover” the described in their arguments as “dangerous” and “unconstitutional”.

In his ruling, Cohen disagreed with the argument that a monitorship of the organization was off the table based on it not being specifically mentioned in New York’s Estate, Powers, and Trusts Law.

The NRA, Cohen said, was attempting to read the law “so narrowly” that no attorney general would ever be able to monitor “how funds are used by an organization such as this.”

He did, however, say it was still too-early to assess the appropriateness of a monitor or financial penalties or any other “remedies” without knowing “what the fact findings are that give rise to the remedy.”

So what’s next?

According to lawyers for New York, one final round of depositions based on recently submitted discovery from the NRA.

Cohen’s response?

“I’d like to set a trial date as soon as I can, subject to one party or another winning on summary judgement,” he said, “Everybody’s been working very hard. My understanding was that things were near the end, which it sounds like is true.”

Hopefully, Cohen is correct. After that, the NRA -and its membership- can finally focus all their attention on the NRA’s mission rather than its survival.

We’ll keep you posted.

— Jim Shepherd

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That Leftist witch James might be doing the NRA a favor in the long run if Wayne L.P. Gets the boot. I know I won't donate a dime again until he's out.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hey, Tom, how do you think your president is doing?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by dassa

Killing it!

Tommie was so worried about gun rights that he voted for a pack of leftist gun grabbers.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Killing it!

Tommie was so worried about gun rights that he voted for a pack of leftist gun grabbers.

No body fuqks with a Biden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious, what does that have to do with the subject at hand? Wayne LaPierre's alleged malfeasance and misfeasance?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
Just curious, what does that have to do with the subject at hand? Wayne LaPierre's alleged malfeasance and misfeasance?

If someone vigorously supported the mandates and lock downs, would you appreciate that person constantly posting articles about the mandates and lockdowns?

Curious.

Orrrr....would that be considered trolling maybe?

Should a pedophile be assigned to cover a kids beauty pageant?

It ain't the message.....it's the messenger.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Killing it!

No body fuqks with a Biden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not even Jill? She's probably jealous of the 12 year olds.. the little Sluts...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
I am a 75 year old life long Republican. Last week I early voted for Biden, sometime when you hire some one they don't work out, that's the way I look at Trump.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm just curious, too. Tom told us he voted for Biden because Trump wasn't working out. Now all he does is post stories about the nra, like he somehow is just one of the fellers. But I'm more interested in if he is happy with his vote. So far, he hasn't answered. I'm starting to think he might be embarrassed by his foolishness, but until I know for sure, I'm not going to lend any credibility to his posts.

Why do you think he refuses to answer?

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm just curious, too. Tom told us he voted for Biden because Trump wasn't working out. Now all he does is post stories about the nra, like he somehow is just one of the fellers. But I'm more interested in if he is happy with his vote. So far, he hasn't answered. I'm starting to think he might be embarrassed by his foolishness, but until I know for sure, I'm not going to lend any credibility to his posts.

No balls....

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bobinpa

No balls....

Yup. He’s a bitch probably using the ignore feature.

MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.