Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have an eco diesel... mine is a little different though. It's in a Jeep Wrangler. I ordered the base model wrangler, no power locks, hand crank windows , soft top etc...
I got the diesel because I wanted to run large tires with a lift kit. The diesel came standard with lower gears and beefed up axles. Things I needed.
As for the engine, so far it has been great, extreme torque, good fuel mileage, I get mid 20's with 35" tires. High teens towing my boat.
I don't have enough miles on it for any long term assessment, but so far I really like it

Hopefully they keep it in the Wrangler line up. I’m wanting one for the reasons you stated but gotta finish paying off the house so next year for the new ride.

Ben,
Before I had license plates I took my Wrangler to Moab, did many of the trails and the torque of the diesel made it a breeze.

😎 - That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

Yours in Liberty,

BL

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, I have a 21 GMC Sierra. I average about 32mpg going to work, 85 miles round trip. I can get 800 miles to a tank almost always above 700 miles to a tank. An absolute gem of a little engine, torque…. Pulls hills almost effortlessly. Without towing it sips def. When towing you’ll use more. I can get close to 10k miles to a tank of def normally. I’d buy another at this point, especially the new 3.0 duramax, 307hp and 495ft lb of torque. I can double the range of fuel of my 2007 titan I had with 3 gallons less of fuel. Also the duramax significantly performs better than the dodge eco diesel in acceleration.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sako4me, thanks for sharing your positive experience. I purchased a 21 Sierra 1500 Denali with the 3.0 this week. Truck has 12,400 miles on it. It was a leased vehicle. The dealer has to make a few repair's so it will be some weeks before I get to bring it home. (Dealer service department backed up two weeks, wait for parts, yada, yada…)

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Domestic vehicles are schitt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy a 2500 Ram instead of a 1500. Get the Cummins diesel. If you do…you will wonder why it took you so long to get here.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the little diesel in my chevy 1500. I just drove 3+ hours in the mountains of PA and got 32mpg. I get 18 when pulling my Ford 4610 on a trailer. Average of 26 in day to day driving.
45,000 miles in, I really like the engine, but liked my Ford f150's better in all other ways.

W
wbyfan1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
For you guy's that own the Chevy 1/2 tons, how's the overall reliability been? Not just speaking about the motor drivetrain, but in all aspects

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We have 2 ecodiesels. One is in a 1500 that has been stripped of all smog and tuned since new. Now 125k. Other is in a Grand Cherokee just egr disabled as it is under warranty.
We live in mountainous type roads and drive diesels because of the torque. If we lived on flatlands then we'd have gassers with over drive. As far as long term all included economy vs gasser = gasser wins by far.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Silly little virtue signaling toys.

Buy a 12 or early 24 valve Cummins Dodge 2500/3500 and "get er done".

She turns 21 this year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by reivertom
The newer Ram Diesels are crappy Italian made engines. I heard that Nisan Titans have Cummins engines now. I usually don't like newer Nissans due to quality issues, but the Titan seems to be the exception.

I'm running a 2003 Ram 3500 HD, 5.9 Cummins. No problems with the way it drives, pulls, torque, or the engine (did have to replace injectors and sleeves a year ago). Sometimes with 3,000 lb camper and towing 2500 of boat/trailer. On-board computer said we got 14.4 over 1500 mies of driving, mostly on the open road, camper and boat. Since I removed the camper and not towing, it's running 18 plus, mixed driving, usually 10 miles or more per trip.

The thing has been a money pit, and that year (all models) is rated lemon. I can believe it. It just turned 125K.

It's on it's 3rd clutch (6-speed manual), 2nd water pump is leaking or shot (in shop now), 3rd front end (ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc, various drive-line components (U- joints, throw-outs, etc) have been replaced 2 or several times, on it's 2nd power steering pump, and hoses, factory hubs wore out and I had them replaced with top-of line repairable ones.

I'm guessing the tranny and/or front transfer case will be next... coolant leak may be more than just the water pump too... For the last year or two , it seems like it's been in the shop every couple months.

My wife wants to sell it off after the coolant leak is fixed and buy a 2 or 3 year old Ford 350 to wear the camper.

Maybe, but hell, most everything is nearly new at this point, and used vehicles are problematic, new ones are too expensive and complicated...I'm dragging my feet and will probably lose.

Unlikely we will buy Dodge again.

Last edited by las; 10/08/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by greydog
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The only way small diesels make sense is in stripped down economy-work type pickups.

I am talking 35 l plus MPG.

Basically like what the rest of the silly world uses small diesels for.

Our current half ton diesels are stupid squared. Expensive to buy, gutless, and expensive to operate.

So....maybe stupid cubed.
North Americans cannot imagine using a small utility truck. If they were sold here, it wouldn't take more than two years for the base model to list power seats, power windows, air conditioning and a bidet as standard equipment.
I have a 1981 Dodge that gets over 12mpg pulling a small, enclosed trailer. Of course, I have to crank the window down by hand and reach out to adjust the mirror so it's pretty tough living. GD

As a society - the thought of being uncomfortable or inconvenienced in the least gives us heartburn.

Those who are comfortable with even the mildest of discomforts/efforts will do well in the coming collapse.

Hell, I guess I am due to suffer.

I recently gave up my 92 Toyota 22RE pickup. No radio, clutch and gears, had to lean over and crank the offside window, seat locked in the furthest rear position, get out and walk around to adjust the passenger side mirror, no AC, so I just left both side windows down all summer. And most of the heat came up through the defroster.

But the grand daughter is learning to be tough as I gave the PU to her.

I now luxuriate in a Honda Accord EX with all the options.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel that I bought in February of 21 that was $20k out the door. Full delete and tune, I get 27mpg on average. I absolutely love this truck, except that it was assessed for $46k, which is what my personal property tax bill was based on. $900 to the county. Hope they're happy, stupid board of supervisors and their damn tax hikes.

Virginia taxes vehicles every year?

Damn.

Virginia and West Virginia both... Personal Property Tax

WV is a tiny fraction of what Virginia charges.
Idaho used to do that. But not on registered and licensed vehicles or RVs. Registration was the tax there.

They nailed us on farm equipment. But Idaho repealed PP Tax quite a few years ago.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Silly little virtue signaling toys.

Buy a 12 or early 24 valve Cummins Dodge 2500/3500 and "get er done".

She turns 21 this year.

Originally Posted by OnTheBeach
nor this one (parked in front of my house)

How many logins profiles do you have? Maybe cut down on them and learn to back a trailer.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahahaha!

Larry Root Screen Grab?

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahahaha!

Larry Root Screen Grab?

Pretty much.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16126736/1

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 59 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,358
Posts18,488,022
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.