Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What are you using? I don't have one at all. I've seen some RCBS ones on the shelf. Are they junk? The price seems reasonable.

I figure I'm pretty much only guessing by using what the "book" suggests as velocity for my loads. It's time to find out what's really going on.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If buying a chrono on a budget, the ProChrono Digital is a great option, IMO. If not on a budget, and it suits your needs, I love the LabRadar.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I finally bought (was it a year ago already?) a MagnetoSpeed after the range quit supplying chrono's to it's members.

It was the most I wanted to spend for a compact, handy tool that was easy to cart around.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If buying a chrono on a budget, the ProChrono Digital is a great option, IMO. If not on a budget, and it suits your needs, I love the LabRadar.

Well there is always a budget but I'm not afraid to buy something of quality if it costs more.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone

Well there is always a budget but I'm not afraid to buy something of quality if it costs more.
Well then, if you don’t often chrono sub-.22 caliber bullets or bullets moving over 4000 fps, the LR makes life easy.

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone

Well then, if you don’t often chrono sub-.22 caliber bullets or bullets moving over 4000 fps, the LR makes life easy.

Ok thank you.

I shoot from .223 to .280 Rem. if those are over 4000 fps I'm in trouble. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a chronograph that used screens. It was a pain!!! I bought a MagnetoSpeed and that works OK. I sort of wish I would have bought a LabRadar.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another Labradar user. I used an Oehler for 30 years but since I bought a Labradar 4 years ago the Oehler hasn’t been turned on. Indoors, outdoors, easy setup, downrange ballistics, data management - I can’t imagine not owning it now. With over 2000 rounds fired I’ve had zero problems with it that weren’t operator error.

But it’s not for everyone:

- if you can’t learn to use a Smartphone, Labradar isn’t for you
- if you don’t care about downrange ballistics then there are cheaper options
- if downloading chrono data to your computer is more than you want, use a pad of paper and a cheaper option
- if you don’t mind walking in front of the shooting line to adjust and readjust the screens, no need for Labradar
- if you don’t need to check the accuracy of a load at the same time you chrono, get a MagnetoSpeed
- if you just want a very simple to operate chrono with no added features, eschew the Labradar

Last edited by DoubleRadius; 10/10/22.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I had two PACTS and when the second one started giving strange readings I bought a Labradar It’s a bit steep but I’m not going back to screens.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to beat the ProChrono Digital and the newer version, the DLX, for the price.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oehler 35P. No velocity limits, reads even 17 cal which the LabRadar won’t. Quit triggering after 12 years, sent back to Oehler where it got a new brain board, tested, packed up and back at my door 5 days after they received it. No charge. Really doubt that magnetospeed or LabRadar offers that kind of guarantee.

Swifty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have 2 Pact 1's and a Labradar. I take the Labradar to the gun range now,

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Magnetospeed has sent me a new bayonet no questions asked since my old one was getting ate up. Great company. The newer bayonets have a metal shield to protect them.

Veteran owned company as well.

Big fan of a MS.

Last edited by beretzs; 10/10/22.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lab Radar is the only answer

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Oehler 35P. No velocity limits, reads even 17 cal which the LabRadar won’t. Quit triggering after 12 years, sent back to Oehler where it got a new brain board, tested, packed up and back at my door 5 days after they received it. No charge. Really doubt that magnetospeed or LabRadar offers that kind of guarantee.

First time for everything, but agree with Swifty52 100%
I had an issue with my 35P about 10 years ago and was going to send it in but the gentleman on the phone at Oehler helped me fix it while I was talking to him, been perfect ever since.
A tool I will never part with

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Lab Radar is the only answer

you have never owned an Oehler then !!!!!

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Labradar. No more calling for or waiting on a ceasefire.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yup, Prochrono and try to avoid sunny days especially if the sun is at a hard angle. A cheap furnace filter works well for a light filter, but things go much better when shooting on a cloudy day.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

An old one I found used at a small gunshop. Cost me $50 and gives me all the info I care about. I've seen so many guys fu ck around with some of the ones mentioned here, but their loads are no better than mine. You've been getting by for a long time, you probably develop loads the same way I do. Shoot your rifle and let it tell you what it likes, while all these other guys are fn around with sd, es. Reading your groups and knowing your velocities are what is important..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Oehler 35P. No velocity limits, reads even 17 cal which the LabRadar won’t.
I can get my LR to read .17 cal bullets with some adjustment of the settings.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,646
Posts18,474,534
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.