Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
stxhunter;
Top of the morning to you Roger, I hope the rest of your day goes as well as the start of it has.

Kudos on starting walking, as mentioned it's a very good way for us to keep fit and low impact is the way to go as we age, or so I believe.

We started walking 3.25km or 2 miles every weekday morning about 7 years back now and for me it's made a world of difference as to where I can hike anymore.

One thing I found at the beginning was that decent - read that not inexpensive - running shoes made a huge difference to my knees and hips. The sports store I went to put me into Asics brand and I've stuck with them, but will say that even within that brand some feel way, WAY better than others.

Typically with the walking we do, they wear out in about 9 months by the way and for folks heavier than me I'd think 6 months might be it before the suspension gets compressed.

Hopefully that made sense and was useful to you or someone out there Roger.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Good going on the walking. Do you have a few routes to use? One standard loop gets a bit boring after a while, at least for me.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
spend some money…

get properly fitted for an excellent (i.e. expensive) shoe at a specialty running store. my shoes are by https://www.hoka.com/en/us/mens-view-all/.

take a daily 100% rda multivitamin supplement. you choose the brand but read the label, i.e. ensure 100% of rda.

take a daily joint supplement. mine is https://www.schiffvitamins.com/prod...oint-health-supplement-with-glucosamine.

save some money…

cut out addictive stimulants: refined sugars, booze, cable tv.

enjoy the great, free, outdoors, rain or shine!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like others have said, cut out sugar

Romans 5:1
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trplem
Good going on the walking. Do you have a few routes to use? One standard loop gets a bit boring after a while, at least for me.

That's a good question. Maybe the biggest mental accomplishment during a workout is the ability to 'go somewhere' in your head. Eventually a walk, run, swim, or bike is going to get boring unless you have developed the ability to transport. Turn off the music, the phone, or whatever fake distraction you're using and consciously try to develop the skill of transporting. It takes time and effort.

If I do a five mile run I hope to only have to deal with the first and last half mile. The other four I am sitting in the sun drinking beer and fishing. Maybe on today's run I'll plan my routes for opening pheasant tomorrow.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
2 mile walk is great, weight loss or not!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I go two plus miles on a tread mill at a walk speed just below running and at an 8-10% incline. Been doing this for years at about five days a week. The other two days, weight machine.
Keeps me in hunting shape at age 71.

NRA Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 406_SBC, 673, 17CalFan, 204guy, 28 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,535,996
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.