Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I have had a Magneetospeed almost 2 years now and like it. I had the plastic piece where the strap tucks in at break on the original one early this year. I contacted Magneetospeed and they wanted pictures, so I sent pictures. Next thing they asked me was for my mailing address. About 6 days later I had a new bayonet in my mailbox. I can’t complain, but if I was willing to part with the money I’d get a Labradar. I’ve talked to 2 guys at the range that said they own the Labradar and Magneetospeed. Both have told me they each serve their purpose and they still use both of them depending on what they are doing.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Magnetospeed Sport. It's a winner.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pro Chrono and a Magneto Speed Sport. Which one I use depends on what I'm trying to do.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've not shot through a chronograph in several years,despite owning (3) that I distinctly recall. Hint.

With 100's of barrels in the Memory Bank,the chronograph is moot to me. Feed a straight chamber GOOD brass,with a kiss and velocities will be boringly consistent. Hint.

That which makes the sole fhuqk to me,is come-ups. For that,I'll lean upon a stalwart erector and forget The Fluff. Hint.

Have only assembled a "few" new rifles in the last couple days,none of which have seen a chronograph. Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Grab a greedy 100yd zero,which correlates Ballistics AE and then shoot distance. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Have only shot the above to 1300yds,mainly because the weather puked. DOPE is etched,vertical is nil and Alpha is without peer. Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Pro Chrono, but would not mind a Lab if money were no object.

Last edited by pullit; 10/11/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Magnetospeed Sport. I like the ease of use. Very rarely (if ever) misses reading a shot. I'm sure Labradar would be better but can't justify the cost.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a Caldwell G2 and a LabRadar. LabRadar is newer but I still like the G2. I found it’s always nice to have two tools that do the same thing so I’m not dead in the water if one goes out. Even though I have two, I only chrono about half the time. I did do it every time for a little while but I found it sucks the fun out of shooting and feels like brain damage when using every time.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A red Chrony

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
A red Chrony

WOW, you gotta be dummer than a box of schitt to try and make that fly here
grin grin

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
A red Chrony

WOW, you gotta be dummer than a box of schitt to try and make that fly here
grin grin
Notice it didn't accompany many accolades. As for being dumb, I wasn't aware that the definition of being dumb has been updated to one being in possession of a Shooting Chrony. I could probably get something more expensive, but it's not in the budget right now, so I guess I'm satisfied with it for now. It works. It needs fresher batteries or it will start throwing funny results. You merely need to be smart enough to know when it's lying to you

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius
Another Labradar user. I used an Oehler for 30 years but since I bought a Labradar 4 years ago the Oehler hasn’t been turned on. Indoors, outdoors, easy setup, downrange ballistics, data management - I can’t imagine not owning it now. With over 2000 rounds fired I’ve had zero problems with it that weren’t operator error.

But it’s not for everyone:

- if you can’t learn to use a Smartphone, Labradar isn’t for you
- if you don’t care about downrange ballistics then there are cheaper options
- if downloading chrono data to your computer is more than you want, use a pad of paper and a cheaper option
- if you don’t mind walking in front of the shooting line to adjust and readjust the screens, no need for Labradar
- if you don’t need to check the accuracy of a load at the same time you chrono, get a MagnetoSpeed
- if you just want a very simple to operate chrono with no added features, eschew the Labradar

This^^

I haven't used my M35 since last year...

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius
Another Labradar user. I used an Oehler for 30 years but since I bought a Labradar 4 years ago the Oehler hasn’t been turned on. Indoors, outdoors, easy setup, downrange ballistics, data management - I can’t imagine not owning it now. With over 2000 rounds fired I’ve had zero problems with it that weren’t operator error.

But it’s not for everyone:

- if you can’t learn to use a Smartphone, Labradar isn’t for you
- if you don’t care about downrange ballistics then there are cheaper options
- if downloading chrono data to your computer is more than you want, use a pad of paper and a cheaper option
- if you don’t mind walking in front of the shooting line to adjust and readjust the screens, no need for Labradar
- if you don’t need to check the accuracy of a load at the same time you chrono, get a MagnetoSpeed
- if you just want a very simple to operate chrono with no added features, eschew the Labradar

Well stated. Mirrors my thoughts as well.

While I have, and use, a smartphone I can't begin to understand the myriad of apps it contains or that are available for downloading. Beyond its use as a phone and camera (and dropping in to read the latest gum-flapping on a couple sites when away from my laptop) it's a mystery to me. When reading about all the features and applications of the LabRadar I get the distinct feeling that it would flummox me the same way my smartphone does.

I went with the Magnetospeed because it's simple enough for my Luddite-like self to operate, and meets my needs too. I'm only interested in velocity on an anecdotal basis - "I wonder how fast the bullets in this load are going?" I'm not a long range shooter, so downrange data/statistics are worthless to me, and transmittal/storage of data is meaningless to me. The Magnetospeed evades the bustling about in front of the shooting line as well.

If I make any improvements on my occasional chronograph use, with the Magnetospeed, I would employ Mule Deer's jerry-rigging of one on a separate platform stationary ahead of rifle muzzles on the bench, allowing for velocity measuring while group shooting. But I probably won't.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I just have cheapo Caldwell. I basically only use it to satisy my curiosity once I have loads dialed in, so it's fine for my needs.

It does suck in direct sunlight with the screens, though. Pretty much have to use it on an overcast day or in the shade to get consistent readings. I never had one for years, so it's not really a make or break piece of equipment to me.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
MagnetoSpeed V3

It does what I want.

It can even read my pellet gun velocities.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 10/12/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If buying a chrono on a budget, the ProChrono Digital is a great option, IMO. If not on a budget, and it suits your needs, I love the LabRadar.

^^
Have owned prochrono, then used Oehler 35P for years, went to Labradar this year, game changer. You can drag it out anywhere, set it up in a minute without worrying about calling a ceasefire at your range, and get data. You can take it anywhere and set it up anywhere.

The optical chronographs seem to prefer overcast days, no matter what sort of light shields I rigged up around them.

Labradar is expensive and on top of the initial expense I needed the remote mic to get reliable readings, plus the $35 sight various people sell on Amazon to get it aimed right, plus a tripod and QR plate for the tripod.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TX35W
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If buying a chrono on a budget, the ProChrono Digital is a great option, IMO. If not on a budget, and it suits your needs, I love the LabRadar.

^^
Have owned prochrono, then used Oehler 35P for years, went to Labradar this year, game changer. You can drag it out anywhere, set it up in a minute without worrying about calling a ceasefire at your range, and get data. You can take it anywhere and set it up anywhere.

The optical chronographs seem to prefer overcast days, no matter what sort of light shields I rigged up around them.

Labradar is expensive and on top of the initial expense I needed the remote mic to get reliable readings, plus the $35 sight various people sell on Amazon to get it aimed right, plus a tripod and QR plate for the tripod.

LMAO, I haven’t had to call a cease fire at my public range in 10-15 years. Really a pretty cheesy excuse. IMO

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ProChrono LTD.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TX35W
The optical chronographs seem to prefer overcast days, no matter what sort of light shields I rigged up around them...

Try runnin'em upside down.

9>)

GR

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
LMAO, I haven’t had to call a cease fire at my public range in 10-15 years. Really a pretty cheesy excuse. IMO

Sorry to break it to you, but you are not everyone. Cheezy post, plenty of others will agree.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've not shot through a chronograph in several years,despite owning (3) that I distinctly recall. Hint.

With 100's of barrels in the Memory Bank,the chronograph is moot to me. Feed a straight chamber GOOD brass,with a kiss and velocities will be boringly consistent. Hint.

That which makes the sole fhuqk to me,is come-ups. For that,I'll lean upon a stalwart erector and forget The Fluff. Hint.

Have only assembled a "few" new rifles in the last couple days,none of which have seen a chronograph. Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Grab a greedy 100yd zero,which correlates Ballistics AE and then shoot distance. Hint.

Have only shot the above to 1300yds,mainly because the weather puked. DOPE is etched,vertical is nil and Alpha is without peer. Hint...................

You velocity is “book’ish” and then shoot come ups to verify?

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,616
Posts18,473,958
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.