Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Did the new moa trigger come in only after they moved production away from New Haven? In other words, do all New Haven built model 70s have the old style trigger?

Thanks

GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes. The new MOA trigger came with the BACO rifles, all post-New Haven Winchester Model 70s.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The old stye trigger stopped when production stopped in New Haven in 2006.The new trigger sucks.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not sure I’d say it sucks, but IMO it’s a needless complication for a hunting trigger. I diddled three of the old ones and got decently light, crisp, and safe triggers.

I will say that my Portugal model is very nicely made and finished. It came with a weak striker spring, but they sent me a new one and the retainer very quickly and naturally free. My dealings with BACO have been very positive, but I suppose that may depend on what you want from them…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The MOA trigger can be pretty decent with aftermarket springs installed. I have three rifles so equipped. One of the triggers is outstanding, and the other two are very acceptable. Whether or not the MOAs are as reliable as the original design is another question altogether. Since I rarely hunt in harsh weather (we just don't often have to deal with that down here) it's not an issue for me.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Did the new moa trigger come in only after they moved production away from New Haven? In other words, do all New Haven built model 70s have the old style trigger?

Thanks

MOA started 2008.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The MOA trigger can be pretty decent with aftermarket springs installed. I have three rifles so equipped. One of the triggers is outstanding, and the other two are very acceptable. Whether or not the MOAs are as reliable as the original design is another question altogether. Since I rarely hunt in harsh weather (we just don't often have to deal with that down here) it's not an issue for me.

Good post RiverRider. I actually like the feel of the MOA trigger. That is after an ernie the gunsmith spring install though. They are very crisp and smooth with little to no creep. Very clean breaking trigger. However, like Pappy said, "it's a needless complication for a hunting trigger". The reason why they changed it is because it's a BACO: Browning Arms Company rifle. Some guys get butt hurt when you call them that, but that is exactly what they are. Browning had to throw their trigger into that rifle because they thought it was better. In extremely harsh conditions it's not going to be, because it's a box trigger. Get a little moisture in there and when it freezes up, it's useless.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good post RiverRider. I actually like the feel of the MOA trigger. That is after an ernie the gunsmith spring install though. They are very crisp and smooth with little to no creep. Very clean breaking trigger. However, like Pappy said, "it's a needless complication for a hunting trigger". The reason why they changed it is because it's a BACO: Browning Arms Company rifle. Some guys get butt hurt when you call them that, but that is exactly what they are. Browning had to throw their trigger into that rifle because they thought it was better. In extremely harsh conditions it's not going to be, because it's a box trigger. Get a little moisture in there and when it freezes up, it's useless.

Having never experienced that failure, I just can't make an argument against it criticism. It seems worth noting, though, that not much seems to surface about the rifles that come only with a box trigger being subject to the same malady. OTOH, better IS better and even though the changeover to the MOA doesn't bother me in the least, I can understand why there's negative commentary on the MOA trigger. I have to agree that BACO should have left it alone. That said, I really do like my later Model 70s. They'll be the last to be evicted from my safe.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m still waiting for triggertech to bring out their m70 replacement. Not that the moa is horrible as is, but …

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’m still waiting for triggertech to bring out their m70 replacement. Not that the moa is horrible as is, but …

If it's a box trigger, like the Timney, it will be a total lateral move. That's one thing guys don't understand. There's a lot of griping about what the MOA is not. Guys just assume it's a schidt trigger because they hear frumpy old guys biotching about it not being the old tried and true super reliable simple trigger. This is the reason, not because the MOA is a horrible trigger.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Having never experienced that failure, I just can't make an argument against it criticism. It seems worth noting, though, that not much seems to surface about the rifles that come only with a box trigger being subject to the same malady. OTOH, better IS better and even though the changeover to the MOA doesn't bother me in the least, I can understand why there's negative commentary on the MOA trigger. I have to agree that BACO should have left it alone. That said, I really do like my later Model 70s. They'll be the last to be evicted from my safe.

They are not bad rifles. Most I have shot were pretty accurate (sub moa). There have only been a few that I've seen that were not excellent shooters. Generally it's a factory bedding issue. One buddy had and EW that was a copper fouling sob. It shot 3-5" groups with all sorts of factory ammo..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 70HV in .223 was like that when I first bought it, and it is a New Haven gun. I got a bore scope and looked it over, and some of the lands looked like they'd been ironed flat somehow in multiple spots. Spun a different barrel from Numrich on, and now it may be the most accurate rifle I own. Bad barrels just happen now and then, and I suppose the same can be said about triggers.

Don't be the darkness.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They are not bad rifles. Most I have shot were pretty accurate (sub moa). There have only been a few that I've seen that were not excellent shooters. Generally it's a factory bedding issue. One buddy had and EW that was a copper fouling sob. It shot 3-5" groups with all sorts of factory ammo..

My daughters 264 stainless featherweight she got for Christmas last year I finally shot few weeks back and with my load with 140 BT it shot a 5 shot group measured .982 I was like damn that pretty good for a all factory rifle. Did not mess with bedding or trigger. Even though I was going to put a ernie spring in it. I thought I had another one but I might have gave it to a friend. One of the things that drives me crazy these days is the new SN they are using, no longer using the SN that starts with a 35.. Now I sound like one of them old frumpy guys.. One last thing that bolt feels like its running all ball bearings. A lot of guys argue/cry/sulk when you say the BACO Portuguese made are probably some of the best Model 70's far as machine work goes.

Last edited by 79S; 10/16/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have owned several of the Model 70 "Classics" with the MOA trigger since 2008, when the trigger was introduced, including more than one BACO "Portuguese" model. Among those with the MOA trigger is an O'Connor "Tribute" Featherweight Model 70.

Have written about this before several times, but the "Portuguese" M70s are NOT made in Portugal. Instead the major parts are made in the U.S., and the assembly and some finishing is done over there--especially the wood. In general they shoot more accurately than U.S. M70s, whether pre- or post-'64, probably because the bedding is often more consistent.

But the MOA triggers have always been pretty good right out of the box, averaging a crisp 4 pounds or so--enough that I have never felt the need to mess with one. The trigger pull averages a very crisp 4 pounds 4 ounces, which is a little heavier than I prefer these days, but about what the unadjusted triggers on the pre-'64 M70s I've owned have averaged. It worked fine on the one animal I took with the rifle, an eating-sized mule deer buck the year I bought it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

If it's a box trigger, like the Timney, it will be a total lateral move. That's one thing guys don't understand. There's a lot of griping about what the MOA is not. Guys just assume it's a schidt trigger because they hear frumpy old guys biotching about it not being the old tried and true super reliable simple trigger. This is the reason, not because the MOA is a horrible trigger.

What improved?

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Model 70 trigger, when did it change ????
For me it changed when I threw my original trigger in the trash and installed a Jewell !!!!

some may argue and scoff........because you have not tried one, I LOVE my Model70 Jewell's even better than their Model700's.
Only downside is depending on your model you will have to inlet the stock to make it fit (but well worth the trouble)!!!!!!!!!!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The big advantage of the original Model 70 trigger was it's ability to still work well in widely-ranging hunting conditions, from wet to dusty to frozen--some which could not be predicted or prevented. That is NOT true of the Jewell, or other enclosed triggers. And I am admirer of the Jewell trigger.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There are two features of the MOA trigger which are seldom mentioned but they are real enough. First is the tendency for the original trigger to trip if the butt was dropped on the floor, if the trigger was set to 2 lb or so. This was due to the pivot point being at the top of the trigger lever so that inertia would trip the trigger. The MOA design addresses this by moving the pivot and separating the trigger and sear connector.
Second was the tendency of many overriding sear triggers to deflect the cocking piece and the bolt upward because the contact surface of the sear is sloped. This causes the lower lug to bear more fully. Not a big deal but it can affect accuracy, albeit at a minimal level. The contact interface on the MOA equipped rifles is vertical and does not deflect the bolt.
These are actual improvements although they are not earth shaking. I have always said, if you don't look into the muzzle of your loaded rifle while pounding the butt on the ground, the first is not a real issue. If you are not completely OCD about bolt alignment, the second item is no big deal either. GD

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
A rifle carried in rain, snow, or sleet will collect water migrating into the lowest parts like the trigger. If camped in cold weather it freezes. Happened on my Rem 700 factory trigger. I suspected the possibility, and easily fixed it in the field after discovery, and before it was needed, but it was froze solid.

My Dad used Grandpa's pre 64' 70 for many years before giving it to me. Far as I know it never froze up, and he used that rifle hard in all weather.

A valuable asset when Murphy casts a big net.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every new model 70 I've had BACO or Portuguese with the MOA trigger wouldn't go lower than 4 lbs except for 2 which would go to just over 3, most were about 4.5 lbs. Another annoying thing is that every one of them I've purchased the magazine was bound. A couple washers on the action bolts under the floorplate cured them, and they started shooting...but that makes the bottom metal stick out proud so I end up filing 1/16" to 3/32" off the bottom of the magazine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (264mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,059
Posts18,521,394
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.