Hop To
N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Hi All,

My company in there great wisdom has decided to give me a company car so I am going to put my 04 jeep liberty in storage. Short of me being fired it will be there for a year or more.

What should I do for it?

I intend to clean it out well, give it a oil change, add some stabil to the gas and fill the tank.

What else.. should I fog the engine?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd change all the fluids, at the very least engine oil and coolant. I'd also fog the engine, and drain the gas tank.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when you put it back in service, have the brake fluid replaced. start it once a month if possible, let it warm up and shift the transmission through gears.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
draining the fuel would cause condensation in the gas tank and rust it out. ive always been told its best to top the fuel off so the condensation doesnt build up heavily.

N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I think i will go with a full tank and a little stabil.

I can run it a little every month or so. If I do run it once a month do you think this will make fogging unnessary?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't fog it if you run it once a month.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's one list of tips. It's an ad so they recommend their products, but they have some good info.
Don't forget the battery. If it's sits without being charged, the water will evaporate out and wreck it. I've seen that happen at least twice. Also, if it loses it's charge, it's susceptible to freezing which will crack it. I've seen that happen, too.

Dick

# Probably the easiest way to store a car is to not store it at all. If you think you can drive your car (not idle it in the garage) at least once every 4 weeks for a minimum of 30 minutes at a time, then you and your car are better off without the deep storage routine. But for those who live in really severe winter climes, those with two homes etc., storage is the only option. What follows is sort of a punch list of tasks to perform:

# Warm car up fully. On your drive, go to the auto parts store and get a quart can of Marvel Mystery Oil. Pour almost the whole can in the gas tank (save about 4-6 tablespoons for later), and then fill the tank up completely with fuel. The Marvel Mystery Oil will act as an upper cylinder lubricant.

# Change engine oil and filter. Owners of Spica injected cars, don't forget the injection pump oil filter too.

# Drain/flush cooling system. Ensure that the heater valve is open. Refill cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of fresh antifreeze and distilled water.

# Top up trans/differential/steering box. Transmission and differential oil should be changed every 30,000 miles; now is the time if that service is due. We recommend you use the correct Spirax or Redline oil.

# Top off brake fluid. Braking system should be flushed and bled with new fluid every 2 years; do so now if it is time.

# Wash and wax paint and brightwork. Thoroughly clean inside of car.

# Remove battery and clean battery and battery case with a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize acid. Take battery inside and place on an automatic trickle charger like our Battery Tender or Ctek.

# Push (or temporarily reinstall battery and drive) car into storage area which hopefully is indoors. If you are storing the car in an area with an earth or gravel floor, lay a big piece of plastic down first, then drive the car onto that. The plastic sheet will provide a vapor barrier and help keep the car from rusting.

# Raise the car on jackstands. Place the jackstands under the various suspension components so that the suspension is compressed and at normal ride height. We've found that fully extended shocks tend to get stuck in that position, hence the last instruction. If space is tight in your garage, you can rest the car on a set of Auto Dollies, so you can move it easily into a corner.

# Remember that 4-6 tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil we held in reserve? Now comes the time to use it. Pull the spark plugs out of the engine, pour a tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, and turn the engine over by hand several revolutions in order to spread the Marvel Mystery Oil around the cylinder walls. Reinstall spark plugs.

# Slip a plastic baggie over the exhaust tip(s) and snap a rubber band around it to hold it on/closed. Do the same to the air cleaner inlet. This will help keep moisture out of the engine.

# Place a couple of mothballs in the trunk, the interior, and the engine compartment. Hopefully this will dissuade little furry creatures from building nests. Consider a set of inexpensive Door Ding Protectors that adhere to the sides of your car with suction cups. Then fit a quality car cover, preferably from IAP! An even better solution is to cocoon the car and cover in a Car Pocket. If the car is being stored indoors, crack the windows about 3/8".

# Finally, if possible, rotate the drive axles a few turns once a month. This will help to keep the differential gears and transmission mainshaft and countershaft coated with oil.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 3,063 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,313
Posts18,526,285
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.