Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
A sport touring bike is a PIA after 5 to 6 hours of riding. So as Teal stated, try before you buy. What feels comfortable for 5 minutes can become a killer after 3 hours of riding.

That's a very ignorant comment. I rode this one from Mississippi to Oregon in 2010. Many 500+ mile days. It was very comfortable.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[quote=STRSWilson]A sport touring bike is a PIA after 5 to 6 hours of riding. So as Teal stated, try before you buy. What feels comfortable for 5 minutes can become a killer after 3 hours of riding.

Gateway, close to home

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Any of these get 50+MPG and are reasonably comfortable. I'd stop for gas once on a 300 mile trip.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Fuel mileage will be better on a dual sport for the most part. Panniers are pretty essential, having the ability to carry some items makes it more versatile.
Look up itchy boots, she has been all over the world, mostly on small displacement bikes.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
...Just about any Harley over a sportster will do it. Sportster will too but small tank - lots of stopping...

Not true. Many Sportsters have adequate tanks. My 2006 had a 4.5-gallon tank.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't buy anything with tube tires. You can thank me later.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by HUNTS
Don't buy anything with tube tires. You can thank me later.
BOOM!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Four hours on a bike is nothing if you like to ride and have a reasonably suitable bike.

I’d get a V-STROM. If your idea doesn’t pan out somebody will buy it the day you put a sign on it.
V-Strom is good. Kawasaki makes a 650 and a 900 Cruiser. I have been looking at them for next year.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A sport touring bike is a PIA after 5 to 6 hours of riding. So as Teal stated, try before you buy. What feels comfortable for 5 minutes can become a killer after 3 hours of riding.

That's a very ignorant comment. I rode this one from Mississippi to Oregon in 2010. Many 500+ mile days. It was very comfortable.

Cool!!!! Were you able to roll any coal on bicyclists clogging the roadways??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you buy one, make sure the seat is comfortable. A good rain suit is great to have as well. How fast will you be riding?

Last edited by eric1186; 10/17/22.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by eric1186
If you buy one, make sure the seat is comfortable. A good rain suit is great to have as well.
^^^This!^^^

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If you find you enjoy riding 300mi is no problem. If not you turn into one of the campfire "experts" who opine on anything they have not done. I started riding in 1967 on a R60 BMW have many days of 500+ on everything from Kawasaki 2stroke triples to Goldwing and Harley touring bikes. My mother rode until she was 80. Owned every thing from Honda Silver Wing twin to Goldwing to BMW K1. Her all time favorite long distance bike was her 500 Interceptor. Mostly its finding something you like and are comfortable on. I found 600 to 1000 mile days easier on a bike than in a car. Get some good training and enjoy.
Pavementends

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeanMan
[quote=STRSWilson]A sport touring bike is a PIA after 5 to 6 hours of riding. So as Teal stated, try before you buy. What feels comfortable for 5 minutes can become a killer after 3 hours of riding.

Gateway, close to home

I love Gateway. It used to be somewhat affordable. Not anymore. The Auto Museum there is top notch. The highway that runs through there is a great animal viewing ride. I have seen herds of elk, deer, bighorns and bear.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Exactly!

Rode many 300+ mile days on an 06 Kawasaki Concours and never had a problem with comfort. My buddies riding cruisers, on the other hand, had a lot of lower back pain on long rides.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm sure there are a lot of riders with more experience than I, but I've had a bit. I've ridden significant distances on everything from 250 dual sports to Gold Wings. I've ridden 10 hours on a KLR 650 and, I can tell you, it ain't ideal. An old CX 500 wasn't half bad. A KZ750 was also decent. A Kawasaki Concours was excellent, as was a Honda ST1100. A BMW R100GS was wonderful on a gravel road and decent on long trips. A GL1100 Gold Wing (naked model) was the best long distance bike I ever had. A ZX-14 Kawasaki was not too uncomfortable, but it was a little cramped and a bit scary.
Currently, I ride a 650 V-Strom with a taller seat and it is an excellent bike. Good mileage (50+) and adequate power. Now, at 73 and with a bony ass, nothing is super comfy after five or six hours; even my truck gets a little old. Filling up every 200 miles gives me just the break I need.
Modern day O-ring chains are easily good for 20,000 miles or better, with minimal maintenance. Tires vary depending on conditions and how you ride.
A seat which feels a little firm in the showroom is better than one that feels soft and cushy. I'll second the good rain gear. You won't have to deal with cold weather but being wet sux! GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uber

Last edited by STRSWilson; 10/17/22.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Low cost, great reputation for reliability, versatile- KLR 650. I put in three 1,000 mile days on mine during the 42,000 miles and two years I rode it. No mechanical problems at all.

Downside are chain drive and tube-type tires.

Paul’s suggestion of some sort of dual sport/adventure bike is a good one.

Be aware that operating costs (helmet, riding gear, saddlebags and/or panniers, chains, tires etc) are going to be more than you prob’ly think.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ride your bicycle through an automated car wash a couple of times on the way to work before you buy in completely.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have ridden many thousands of road miles. A 300 mile day is about 6 hours on the bike. With gas stops, hydration, meals, etc. you will average around 50 miles an hour. So you should still have time to stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

I find Harleys are the best for casual riding like this and I’ve owned many bike styles. As has been intimated, it’s not a cheap hobby.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Low cost, great reputation for reliability, versatile- KLR 650. I put in three 1,000 mile days on mine during the 42,000 miles and two years I rode it. No mechanical problems at all.

Downside are chain drive and tube-type tires.

Paul’s suggestion of some sort of dual sport/adventure bike is a good one.

Be aware that operating costs (helmet, riding gear, saddlebags and/or panniers, chains, tires etc) are going to be more than you prob’ly think.

And I think the KLR is a fine bike if you are traveling logging roads but is too slow and the seat too soft for long distance use. They are surprisingly good off-road. The BMW was vastly better on gravel, at high speeds especially. The V-Strom is so much better than the KLR on pavement that there is no comparison possible. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
158XTP, the advice about trying before buying is the best here. I've had 12 motorcycles from little to 1,000 cc's, though not an actual full dresser road bike, but I drove a big Harley for a week during the Sturgis, SD rally. Sure a big one is nicer out on the road, but honesty I had more fun on my bikes staying closer to town and a smaller sport bike was better there. In Australia you have a lot of sand and vast stretches once you get away from the coast. I didn't like being sand blasted, hitting bugs, long duration sun exposure or the windchill factor of highway riding. You have those big red kangaroos and smaller wallabies that could make a collision fatal. I saw lots of cars over there with "roo bars", so hitting animals like our deer and turkeys here must be a real possibility. I blew a rear tire once out on the highway and it was real exciting. In the outback, what would you do with a breakdown? It's not like you can take many repair parts on a bike. Then there are the inattentive people out on the road with you. Even with a big bike, you are still small compared to a car and guaranteed people won't see you and turn into you or pull out in front of you. A big road bike won't get way better gas mileage than a small car and with a car you can take passengers and stuff. The fun factor aside for a while, I sure wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.