Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bman940
A great option would be a MeoTac 3-12X50 RD Mildot from Meopta. You can dial in your shots or use the reticle for bullet drop. Great glass and excellent low-light performance. This would be nice for an elk gun even though some might not like the 34.2 oz weight of the scope. 40% off right now which is one heck of a deal.

34.2 oz's? No thanks. A good elk rifle only needs a good 2.5-8, 2.5-10, 3-9x40. Most shots are going to be within 400 yards anyway. Most likely less than 100 yards. That is a beast of a scope Bart. No one is going to want to put a scope on their rifle that outweighs their damn stock. The stock on my 338wm, for example, is only 26 oz's. So throw the nice balance out the window, if you were to use that scope. Just not feasible on a good elk rifle. You ever hunt elk????

You’d be cursing 15-20 of those ounces about an hour into the first hunt!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I mentioned the Meopta MeoTac because there are 2 rifles being scoped and he might want something vastly different than what he chooses for his first scope. Back when I used to Elk hunt in Eastern Oregon, I preferred a 1-inch tube, a lower profile that was 3-9 magnification. Today, being a big bullet drop fan, for my own elk rifle, I'd select a Meopta Optika5 3-15x44 Z-Plus reticle to dial in my bullet drops. Excellent low light performance and only 21 oz. The MeoTac was designed for LE/Mil use, but will certainly be right at home on a hunting rifle which is why I tossed that option out there in case he is looking for something a lot different. I do some freelance work with Meopta and have real-life in-the-field experience with all the optics I recommend. Keep it simple and you'll fill the freezer.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Model 70 in .338 Win Mag and use a 12oz 3-9 x 36 Swarovski. I like a light scope to keep the weight down and get as close to 9 lb (empty with scope) as I can. Any lighter than that and precision shooting at longer range becomes more difficult, any heavier then carrying all day or up hills is a burden. But then I'm not a fan of dialing...prefer to sight in 3" high at 100 yds and use maximum point-blank range.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I have a Model 70 in .338 Win Mag and use a 12oz 3-9 x 36 Swarovski. I like a light scope to keep the weight down and get as close to 9 lb (empty with scope) as I can. Any lighter than that and precision shooting at longer range becomes more difficult, any heavier then carrying all day or up hills is a burden. But then I'm not a fan of dialing...prefer to sight in 3" high at 100 yds and use maximum point-blank range.

I know I have a hard time with a 7 pound 338wm... Precision isn't everything though..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As long as your close, I guess that's good enough.....

Originally Posted by bellydeep
A great option would be a MeoTac 3-12X50 RD Mildot from Meopta. You can dial in your shots or use the reticle for bullet drop. Great glass and excellent low-light performance. This would be nice for an elk gun even though some might not like the 34.2 oz weight of the scope. 40% off right now which is one heck of a deal.

34.2 oz's? No thanks. A good elk rifle only needs a good 2.5-8, 2.5-10, 3-9x40. Most shots are going to be within 400 yards anyway. Most likely less than 100 yards. That is a beast of a scope Bart. No one is going to want to put a scope on their rifle that outweighs their damn stock. The stock on my 338wm, for example, is only 26 oz's. So throw the nice balance out the window, if you were to use that scope. Just not feasible on a good elk rifle. You ever hunt elk????

Hell yes. I like to keep my elk rifles light and well balanced. That may just be me though. After about the 30th hand change, I'd say fu ck this schidt. What the hell is Bart thinkin???? Maybe he keeps it slung, but even then when you go to make the shot and the rifle wants to be held upside down, that's not a good thing.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

Swaro has yet,to make a scope worth a fhuqk...but that schit was fhuqking FUNNY. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I know I have a hard time with a 7 pound 338wm... Precision isn't everything though..

Hell yes. I like to keep my elk rifles light and well balanced. That may just be me though. After about the 30th hand change, I'd say fu ck this schidt. What the hell is Bart thinkin???? Maybe he keeps it slung, but even then when you go to make the shot and the rifle wants to be held upside down, that's not a good thing.
how do you get the weight down to 7 lbs scoped on a Model 70? Lose 16 oz with a synthetic stock...but you'd still come in around 8 lbs including scope wouldn't you? I'm running the 225 TTSX at 2950 fps at 3.52" and groups are similar to yours. But shooting off-hand or in the field with imperfect rests is a lot different with a reasonably heavy recoiling cartridge than shooting off a solid bench with front and rear rests.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 10/16/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
SniffleKchunt,

Swaro has yet,to make a scope worth a fhuqk...but that schit was fhuqking FUNNY. Hint.

B/S. I've been using them for 40 years with virtually no problems...but I don't throw them in the lake to take photos or constantly stuff around with the dials. Now here's your chance to mention your high bc competition bullets in a 7mm that you use to shoot paper targets at 800 yards and your Chinese scopes. And you can throw in a 20 year old photo of a Sitka blacktail you shot at 30 yards with that set-up.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 10/16/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

There's zero need to reiterate,what an AMAZINGLY sllooooowwwwwww "learner" you are and how little you "do"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep the Hurt Feeler Reports coming,as you flaunt your Professional "Victim" status. Do not "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,as you extoll your very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Big Stick
SniffleKchunt,

B/S. I've been using them for 40 years with virtually no problems...but I don't throw them in the lake to take photos or constantly stuff around with the dials. Now here's your chance to mention your high bc competition bullets in a 7mm that you use to shoot paper targets at 800 yards and your Chinese scopes. And you can throw in a 20 year old photo of a Sitka blacktail you shot at 30 yards with that set-up.

Pretty much described the whole big schtick.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KenBitchagain,

It is funnier than fhuqk,that you feel compelled to reiterate that besides being a Whining CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

GREAT time to cite just how many times a day you think about me and the durations of same,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Forunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Perhaps you gals can join "forces",in order to keep things "fair"?!? Hint.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Little Stick, I've mentioned before on several different threads that you need to work on your personal development a lot more by not being such a kunht. I thought you may have improved lately, but it seems I was mistaken.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

Pardon your putting FAR more store in my words,than anyone does in your's...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

GREAT time to cite just how many times a day you think about me and the durations of same,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Forunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Perhaps you gals can join "forces",in order to keep things "fair"?!? Hint.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Decide what kind of terrain you'll be in and how far your shots are going to be before you go any further.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think something in the 2-7 or 2.5-8 range would be perfect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The older Zeiss conquests worked great on my 338s for years. Always held zero. Have a VX3 on one currently that has also worked well for a few years. Just get something with good eye relief and go hunt!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had a 3.5 x 10 on mine for 25 years and it served me well. Just installed a new 3x12 which I think will will make a little bit of difference. The 2 x10's have a lot to offer and should be a prime candidate.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought my 700 KS 338 in about ‘98. Put a Swaro 3-9 on it not long after. Shot a lot of 250 grain bullets through it and it never changed zero. 4-5 years ago started shooting 210TSX…. it’s still holding zero.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

how do you get the weight down to 7 lbs scoped on a Model 70? Lose 16 oz with a synthetic stock...but you'd still come in around 8 lbs including scope wouldn't you? I'm running the 225 TTSX at 2950 fps at 3.52" and groups are similar to yours. But shooting off-hand or in the field with imperfect rests is a lot different with a reasonably heavy recoiling cartridge than shooting off a solid bench with front and rear rests.

Would like to hear more about his scoped 7 lb model 70 also …….

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Who wants a light .338? Ouch! My custom M70 in .338 wears a 3.5-15x50 NXS. It weighs 9.5+ lbs on purpose! I don’t mind carrying it one bit because I shoot it well and it’s very capable.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 10/20/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2.5-8 Luepold is on mine. Bears to Bushbuck.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (2UP, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 160user, 44mc, 35, 16 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,439
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.