Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Blooze Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Ended up just going with the one piece Talley's for now due to other expenses. I'll put a rail on it when I upgrade the scope next year. All 8 base bolts are 6-48 x 1/4". I checked the fit with the scope by lightly hand screwing in the bolts to the receiver. It seems the front two bolts on the front ring base will allow the base to contact the receiver, but it looks to me to be awfully close to bottoming out on the barrel. I can't really see up into the action to verify for sure, but when measuring the hole depth against the amount of thread sticking below the base it appears to be within .1-.2 mm. I'd hate to strip out the front bolts. Maybe go with the 10 in-lb recommendation of EGW and a couple other places along with some VibratTite VC-3? I'm beginning to think the X-bolt pattern was developed more out of necessity because of using too thin of receiver steel and then they market it as a "better" thing.

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I've been down the X-Bolt scope mounting rabbit hole. I ended up at the end of the day where I usually do with Warne steel bases. I used service removable loc-tite on the infamous no thread screw hole, but gave serious thought to just leaving it out altogether, and let the 3 fasteners do their job.

I have a collection of X-Bolt scope mounting gear that I would be willing to part with if you're interested. The rifle is a long action.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
B
Blooze Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Nollij
I've been down the X-Bolt scope mounting rabbit hole. I ended up at the end of the day where I usually do with Warne steel bases. I used service removable loc-tite on the infamous no thread screw hole, but gave serious thought to just leaving it out altogether, and let the 3 fasteners do their job.

I have a collection of X-Bolt scope mounting gear that I would be willing to part with if you're interested. The rifle is a long action.

Mine is the short action, so not sure what would translate over. I wouldn't be in a position to take anything off your hands until after the first of the year.

Which hole did you find the troublesome one? From what I can tell both the front holes have equal threads and depth on mine.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Blooze
Originally Posted by Nollij

Mine is the short action, so not sure what would translate over. I wouldn't be in a position to take anything off your hands until after the first of the year.

Which hole did you find the troublesome one? From what I can tell both the front holes have equal threads and depth on mine.

The front right on a left hand action. The barrel threads were in the way of the fastener coming up anything past snug. I snugged it with loc-tite and let it sit overnight. It's still there. I thought about shortening the screw, but there isn't much thread contact to begin with.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blooze

Blooze, send me your address and I will send you a new in the package Leupold 0 MOA Picatinny rail, vendor sent me the 0 when I requested the 20 MOA. They replaced it and told me to keep the 0 MOA. It's your's if you agree to pay it forward.

Thanks Darryle

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B2

B
Blooze Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Darryle
Blooze, send me your address and I will send you a new in the package Leupold 0 MOA Picatinny rail, vendor sent me the 0 when I requested the 20 MOA. They replaced it and told me to keep the 0 MOA. It's your's if you agree to pay it forward.

Thanks Darryle

Wow Darryle! That’s a very generous offer for this new guy! I’ll see if I can PM you about it, but I think my current level is too low to use that yet. I love to pay stuff forward when I can. It’s always good.

Edit: Sent you an email.

Last edited by Blooze; 10/12/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Did you receive the rail?

No update and I accidentally deleted your email, tracking says it was delivered.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
B
Blooze Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Darryle
Did you receive the rail?

No update and I accidentally deleted your email, tracking says it was delivered.

I did. Sorry, I’ve been sick all week and spaced off responding to you. Thank you again for your generosity!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I used a Murphy rail on my X-bolt HCS last year. I did have to trim the screws that came with it about 0.7mm, as they were to long and bottomed out. After trimming, I got 2 full turns on the 2 front holes and about 4-3/4 turns on the 2 rear holes of the front mount. I used liquid lock-tite, torqued the front ones to 10 in lb, and all of the others to 15 in lb. Have not had any issues.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,123
Posts18,502,402
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.