Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Wife and I are kicking around the idea to return to Alaska from May-September and parking a 5th wheeler.
What would be a ballpark price for 1 acre of land between Sterling and Nikiski, non-river front.
Land would have to be close enough to a town that we could have a septic system, fresh water, and electricity for the 5th wheeler.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lots of snowbirds just rent a spot with full hookups and store it for the winter, and lots of vandals and break-ins around Sterling on seasonal use property. Kept me from buying a lot for my trailer in Sterling

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I can only speak to the Hope/Sunrise area, a few (rarely does anything become available) recent sales at $100,000.00 per acre. And you have to know someone who has lived there for decades, or you will not know about the property till after it is closed sale.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Zillow land for sale plus zip code

Heres Sterling Alaska
https://www.zillow.com/sterling-ak-99672/

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AGL4now
I can only speak to the Hope/Sunrise area, a few (rarely does anything become available) recent sales at $100,000.00 per acre. And you have to know someone who has lived there for decades, or you will not know about the property till after it is closed sale.

ZERO interest in owning property in Hope even if land was $1k an acre.

KK,
Thanks for the info you PM’ed me and the link. We are about 2 years away from making this plan work so have lots of options to go over
Randy

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe[/quote

Fifty years ago, land in Hope/Sunrise was $650.00 per acre. Twenty-two years ago, land in Hope/Sunrise was $2,400.00 per acre. Now $100,000,00 per acre.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Make sure that dead horse is properly beaten.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

[/quote
Fifty years ago, land in Hope/Sunrise was $650.00 per acre. Twenty-two years ago, land in Hope/Sunrise was $2,400.00 per acre. Now $100,000,00 per acre.

No one cares

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once you get closer to wanting to buy, or even now, go to a real estate agents website and you can sign up to receive emails for areas and descriptions of what you are looking for. I get a weekly email for land in the Kenai area that’s like 1-5 acre lots, as the wife and I at one time thought about buying there.
When I was AD AF my supervisor was a GS employee and tried to sell me his cabin and 5 acres outside of Sterling. I looked into it, but once I found out the cabin and lot was in a partnership, I did not want that hassle.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
For now, think we will skip the idea of buying but I do appreciate all the PM's and guidance. Our plans on to spend roughly 8 weeks (June/July) on the Kenai. Initially it may be less expensive just to pay for 60 days of campground fees instead of buying land. By the time electric, water, parking pad, and septic is in place the cost of the property would exceed rental costs by a wide margin. I'm 69 right now and doubt we would be making the trip when I hit 80.

We can still check out property in person when we do visit to see if it would be cost effective to buy it just to camp a couple of months a year.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In the middle 70s we paid $750 per acre for our 1acre just off the river out of Soldotna. Things change don't they!

Last edited by butchlambert1; 10/09/22.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
In the middle 70s we paid $750 per acre for our 1acre just off the river out of Soldotna. Things change don't they!
And how!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Lots of snowbirds just rent a spot with full hookups and store it for the winter, and lots of vandals and break-ins around Sterling on seasonal use property. Kept me from buying a lot for my trailer in Sterling

You can’t own schitt anymore unless you can keep it constant view. I have a friend with a pristine 1975 Honda 400-Four, he’s fed up, going to sell it..tired or worrying about it. Can’t drive it anywhere and get more than ten feet from it, so what good is it.
Couldn’t imagine leaving a property unattended,

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It’s an illusion that you OWN property. Skip your taxes and see how much you own......

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We are going to raise the price of this 7.8 acres we have for sale by $60,000.00 We got a new driveway ruffed in today. Not many private properties with 28-foot-high waterfalls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffP
It’s an illusion that you OWN property. Skip your taxes and see how much you own......

If its outside of a borough, you pay no property taxes.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by JeffP

If its outside of a borough, you pay no property taxes.

Also no taxes if your old and it is your personal residence.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Not in Anchorage. Yes old people get some off the top of the bill but there is still a big bill every year!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Here, I think it has been $300,000,00 of assessed value is exempt from property tax on personal residence. To me that is a big deal.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Alaska exempts from property taxes the first $150,000 of assessed value for all senior citizens (65 years of age and over) and disabled veterans (50% or more service connected disability). https://www.muni.org/Departments/fi...%20Senior-Veteran%20Exemption%20Form.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

53 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 907brass, AKislander, 5 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,079
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.