Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I suppose when I was younger a new cartridge rolling on the scene was sorta interesting. As I get older, it seems I just chuckle a bit and think to myself … what can this chambering do that my 30/06 can’t? I’m sure you’ll hear from folks claiming some sorta niche it may be capable of but I got to ask myself is it something we all really were looking for? Simplicity is what satisfies myself these days. I guess we will see how much marketing is dumped into another cartridge.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There hasn't been a significant cartridge I produced since the mid 60s.

And that's being generous by considering factory rounds that
achieved popularity.

The 204 is perhaps an exception.
Even it has faded and seems behind the rounds it was supposed to
beat.

Chose the 60s for the 7mm Rem and Winchester magnums.
H&H actually had that covered many years before, but original
powders and pressures held them back.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No comment on the merits of the 7mm PRC, but interesting to see Hornady giving the OK for influencers and media to release their articles and videos today.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I suppose when I was younger a new cartridge rolling on the scene was sorta interesting. As I get older, it seems I just chuckle a bit and think to myself … what can this chambering do that my 30/06 can’t? I’m sure you’ll hear from folks claiming some sorta niche it may be capable of but I got to ask myself is it something we all really were looking for? Simplicity is what satisfies myself these days. I guess we will see how much marketing is dumped into another cartridge.

For the average hunter it does nothing...the average hunter also won't notice much difference between a 30-06 and a 7 mag, or a 270, or a 280.

For folks who shoot at longer ranges (if you consider that a niche) there is no comparison between any 30-06 load (factory or handload) and a 180gr ~750 G1 7mm bullet at 2900 fps.

I doubt the 7PRC does much you can't do with another 7 mag...but off-the-shelf 180gr ELDM loads will be very nice.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 4th_point
No comment on the merits of the 7mm PRC, but interesting to see Hornady giving the OK for influencers and media to release their articles and videos today.
Hornady released their own video today; the media blitz has begun.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I get older, it seems I just chuckle a bit and think to myself … what can this chambering do that my 30/06 can’t?

In your hands, apparently nothing.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TX35W
[quote=RickyBobby]

For folks who shoot at longer ranges (if you consider that a niche) there is no comparison between any 30-06 load (factory or handload) and a 180gr ~750 G1 7mm bullet at 2900 fps.
I doubt the 7PRC does much you can't do with another 7 mag...but off-the-shelf 180gr ELDM loads will be very nice.

This is it in a nutshell.

I generally refrain from the better/best discussions here because so many things work for the couple-boxes-of-ammo-a-year crowd at MPBR.
We have folks here that shoot more in a couple of hours or days than some folks shoot in a three-year span. Further, we have folks that shoot animals at a max distance of 75 yards and others that routinely kill stuff past 500 yards.

We also have folks that insist on having three safes full of guns that rarely get used, while others are searching for the one perfect rifle that'll most likely wear multiple barrels in its lifetime. To me, the 7 PRC is for the latter crowd that knows exactly what they want from a platform, bullet and RPMs, and to be able to shoot further without the various handicaps from existing/other chamberings.

Not understanding that shows a bit of either insecurity or plain naivete.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 3 factory loads they released sure cover alot of ground, a 160 Mono for bone smashing, 175 ELD for general purpose stuff, and a 180 ELD for hunting or smacking steel..

Pretty tough to beat something like outta the box if a fella would rather hunt and shoot than dick around at a reloading press with a 1/2 grain here or there.. I see alot of people being able to like that kinda flexibility. I almost bought a 7 Rem again this year, just to shoot factory stuff, but I might drag my feet a little and see who chambers it, bet it won't be too long before makers start putting rifles out there.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
[quote=RickyBobby]

I generally refrain from the better/best discussions here because so many things work for the couple-boxes-of-ammo-a-year crowd at MPBR.
We have folks here that shoot more in a couple of hours or days than some folks shoot in a three-year span. Further, we have folks that shoot animals at a max distance of 75 yards and others that routinely kill stuff past 500 yards.

We also have folks that insist on having three safes full of guns that rarely get used, while others are searching for the one perfect rifle that'll most likely wear multiple barrels in its lifetime. To me, the 7 PRC is for the latter crowd that knows exactly what they want from a platform, bullet and RPMs, and to be able to shoot further without the various handicaps from existing/other chamberings.

Agreed. The "stop liking what I hate" crowd always runs deep - regardless of topic.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looking at the recent crop of PRC (and others) fast-twist, heavy for caliber high BC projectiles, designed cartridges the primary advantage is at long distance, often 500 yards plus, before any benefit may apply. For most probable hunting distances, none of the more recent cartridge developments make any difference at all. That said, we have a new generation of young shooters who spend more time at the range than they do in the woods as well as competition shooter who are always looking for some advantage. I for one surely don't need any more rifles but that doesn't mean that I'm going to stop building them, just may need to sell a few along the way to make room in the safe and keep the funds going. I have two 7mm RMs and I'm pretty sure I'll replace one with a 7 PRC when I get around to it, for no particular reason other to entertain myself as they older I get, my interest narrow and building and shooting rifles is more interesting than ever.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Looking at the recent crop of PRC (and others) fast-twist, heavy for caliber high BC projectiles, designed cartridges the primary advantage is at long distance, often 500 yards plus, before any benefit may apply. For most probable hunting distances, none of the more recent cartridge developments make any difference at all. That said, we have a new generation of young shooters who spend more time at the range than they do in the woods as well as competition shooter who are always looking for some advantage. I for one surely don't need any more rifles but that doesn't mean that I'm going to stop building them, just may need to sell a few along the way to make room in the safe and keep the funds going. I have two 7mm RMs and I'm pretty sure I'll replace one with a 7 PRC when I get around to it, for no particular reason other to entertain myself as they older I get, my interest narrow and building and shooting rifles is more interesting than ever.

Well stated.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

For the average hunter it does nothing...the average hunter also won't notice much difference between a 30-06 and a 7 mag, or a 270, or a 280.

That, and off-the-shelf 8” twist barrelled rifles.

And it’s closer to 0.800 G1 BC than 0.750. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was pretty excited when I started reading about the 6.8 western, as an " ultimate backcountry rifle". But then I got to thinking about just putting a fast twist barrel on a 270. I'm a handloader and the thing I've noticed as I'm sure many have is the lack of readily available components. I see the merits of a 7prc but I do wonder about future availability of components. I like where it performs but I'm in the " I'll wait and see camp".
That being said I'm building a 284win rifle, I'm a walking contradiction.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mitchell, I agree re the the 270 Win but the lack of high BC bullet isn't helping. The 145 Hornady ELD-X looks great on paper but I'd like to see a .277 160 ELD-X or similar. I running numbers on Hornady' ballistic calculator and was surprised to find the 143 gr 6.5 ELDX from the Creed has more energy at 500 yards than a 150 from a 308. The bullet weights are all that different but the high BC of the Creed made all the difference at that range. Enter the 178 308 ELDX and the story changes!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
There hasn't been a significant cartridge I produced since the mid 60s.

And that's being generous by considering factory rounds that
achieved popularity.

The 204 is perhaps an exception.
Even it has faded and seems behind the rounds it was supposed to
beat.

Chose the 60s for the 7mm Rem and Winchester magnums.
H&H actually had that covered many years before, but original
powders and pressures held them back.

I could see a lot of folks making the case for 7mm-08 after the .284 fizzled out and the 7x57 just didn't seem to catch on stateside. Maybe the 416 Rem, too? Not for revolutionizing the caliber but for sparking new interest?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I lost all interest in new calibers, rifles or bullets, by now I know what works for me and I'm content.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by duke61
I lost all interest in new calibers, rifles or bullets, by now I know what works for me and I'm content.

Kinda where I am. Bonus it happens to be a 7mm so advances in bullet tech help me but even still - they're getting so big/long, the 7-08 don't have enough ass to get them moving to where they'd likely really shine.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
[quote=RickyBobby]

Agreed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Mitchell, I agree re the the 270 Win but the lack of high BC bullet isn't helping. The 145 Hornady ELD-X looks great on paper but I'd like to see a .277 160 ELD-X or similar. I running numbers on Hornady' ballistic calculator and was surprised to find the 143 gr 6.5 ELDX from the Creed has more energy at 500 yards than a 150 from a 308. The bullet weights are all that different but the high BC of the Creed made all the difference at that range. Enter the 178 308 ELDX and the story changes!

I guess my point with a fast twist barrel throated correctly would solve the 270 problem and long high BC bullets.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say there are good high bc 270 “hunting bullets” - 150/165 ablr, 170 berger, 175 tgk, 170 btip, etc…. What is really missing for 270 compared to 6.5/7mm are ‘match’ projectiles - eldm, tmk, scnenar etc…. So I still like the 6.8W a bit better as a hunting round as lower recoil and great ballistics. No doubt the 7prc is more but it is also a long action, more powerful cartridge so there is a recoil tradeoff there at least. I can see myself getting one someday but it will be meatier rifle probably then I would
do with 6.5 prc or 6.8w

Lou

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,590
Posts18,511,150
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.