Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seems that there are quite a few very nice binos in the sub $1k range currently. Leica Trinovids, Zeiss Conquest, Vortex Razors, Swaro CL, GPO all are very very good. Second tier below the flagship stuff from the big 3, but very close in quality and view and very serviceable for most hunters. Question is, for those that have had a chance to review some of these, what is your choice?

FWIW: I currently have a Swaro 8x30CL that is a fantastic bino but am thinking that I would like a little more umph to see detail on deer antlers. Probably a 10x42 of some sort - Lecia Trinovids probably. I have also considered a combo bino/rangefinder but not sure about those yet.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tract Toric

Scott
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Tract are excellent, as well as, Kowa Genesis

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you like the 8x30 CL you could always try the 10x30 version. I have heard the newer version was a big improvement. I have the older version and I still love mine but may upgrade to the newer 8x30 CL and let one of my kids carry the older pair.

Semper Fi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 10x42, I have owned the Tact, Conquest HD, and Monarch HG. Didn't care for the image with the Tract or Conquest. Nor the build quality of the Tract. The Monarch were stunning to my eyes, and compact for a 42mm, but I didn't care for the diopter. However, none really made me completely satisfied.

For not much more, I bought demo SLC but in 8x42. They are awesome and I don't feel like looking for anything better. I'd consider a used 10x42 SLC over the others.

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/27/22.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
In 10x42, I have owned the Tact, Conquest HD, and Monarch HG. Didn't care for the image with the Tract or Conquest. Nor the build quality of the Tract. The Monarch were stunning to my eyes, and compact for a 42mm, but I didn't care for the diopter. However, none really made me completely satisfied.

For not much more, I bought demo SLC but in 8x42. They are awesome and I don't feel like looking for anything better. I'd consider a used 10x42 SLC over the others.

Wondering why some of you guys aren't just putting in a little more coin and investing in a LRF bino combination? Any reason not to go that route? One and done type of deal.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d be more apt to go the used market route for a Leica Ultravid or Swarovski SLC. The SLC might be a bit north of 1k though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve been so impressed with the kowa 554 spotter that I’m tempted to try the genesis.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Wondering why some of you guys aren't just putting in a little more coin and investing in a LRF bino combination? Any reason not to go that route? One and done type of deal.

The short lifespan of the electronics and even shorter lifespan of the warranties is one reason (Vortex being the exception on the warranty).

A bigger, bulkier bino is another.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

I have long considered a LRF binoc ever since they became available quite a few years ago and my reason for not purchasing has been because that if the range finder portion becomes inoperable it will be a very expensive repair or at that point there is a lot of money tied up in a binoc that does not have the RF working.

There are some very good rangefinders at very reasonable prices, IMO prices so low that if the RF does go bad out of warranty, it is more cost effective to simply replace the RF with a new and immproved model, something that is not possible with a combined bino / RF combo.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

When I bought my 10x42 SLCs I was prepared to spend the extra money on the ELs. The SLCs were easier for me to look through, and I wasn’t good enough to tell the difference between the two.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by haverluk
If you like the 8x30 CL you could always try the 10x30 version. I have heard the newer version was a big improvement. I have the older version and I still love mine but may upgrade to the newer 8x30 CL and let one of my kids carry the older pair.

If you like the 1st gen CL’s, you’ll like most binos on the market.
Seriously, the 1st gen CL’s are among Swaro’s poorest offerings in the past 30+ years.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Couldn't agree more on the SLC's. I was a life long 10x42 user since I've hunted primarily open country for over 50 years. I came across a mint/used 8x42 SLC a couple of years ago, and "stunningly good" is what my eyeballs tell me. For slightly more than the $1k I also love the Meopta Meostar.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I say this while hanging my head in shame........I recently bought a Fury 5000 HD AB, and I am very surprisingly pleased with it. Open country whitetails and muley hunts start Nov 5th so we'll see how it pans out.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I say this while hanging my head in shame........I recently bought a Fury 5000 HD AB, and I am very surprisingly pleased with it. Open country whitetails and muley hunts start Nov 5th so we'll see how it pans out.

If something goes wrong with the electronics of that Fury two or more years from now you’ll be proud and exquisitely happy you bought a Vortex.

Given the relatively short lifespan for electronic sport optics that I’ve observed, if I was to buy a RF bino, I’d have to seriously consider Vortex because of their warranty.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

The short lifespan of the electronics and even shorter lifespan of the warranties is one reason (Vortex being the exception on the warranty).

A bigger, bulkier bino is another.
Nailed it on why!

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Seriously, the 1st gen CL’s are among Swaro’s poorest offerings in the past 30+ years.

Sorry for the hijack...

My eyesight went to hell after an injury and I have not been able to find a set of binos that I can use wearing my glasses. I take my glasses off and they work as good as my eyes can see. I also like the size and weight. Any recommendations for glass I can use with glasses?

Semper Fi

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

If something goes wrong with the electronics of that Fury two or more years from now you’ll be proud and exquisitely happy you bought a Vortex.

Given the relatively short lifespan for electronic sport optics that I’ve observed, if I was to buy a RF bino, I’d have to seriously consider Vortex because of their warranty.

That is the one my buddy has. The glass is very nice. However, the best we could do on range was 890 yards on the side of a shop, which is pretty reflective. We were ranging 2,100 yards on a house further out with the Leica's. As I said in an earlier post, I thought the glass was very nice, until I compared them to my Leica 2400 LRF. However, if the Vortex ranges critters out to 800 yards, I'd be happy enough with them that I'd buy a pair. My buddy is going yote hunting out of state this weekend. He's going to let me know how they do for him when ranging critters. Since he is law enforcement, he gets a hell of a good discount on Vortex optics and said he could get me a pair. And we all know the warranty can't be beat. JG, if you don't mind, can you let us know how those bino's work out for you. Even if you have to start a thread on them. I looked them up earlier and saw they have a 5 star rating.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I prefer a standalone LRF for bowhunting. More convenient to range with one hand. And I haven't been impressed with any of the combo units in terms of optical quality. I was ready to buy the 10k, until I looked though it at SW. I hated the blue tint, even though I would use it primarily for ELR.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I prefer a standalone LRF for bowhunting. More convenient to range with one hand. And I haven't been impressed with any of the combo units in terms of optical quality. I was ready to buy the 10k, until I looked though it at SW. I hated the blue tint, even though I would use it primarily for ELR.

Thanks Jason. I was actually impressed with the optical quality of the Vortex 5000 my buddy has. I'll be keeping an eye on how his work out for him. Not totally impressed with the lack of distance ranged (about 900 yards), as compared to my Leica LRF though. Should work well enough for ranging big game at the distance I'd shoot them at, but not great for ranging stuff like steel plates at 1,000+ yards.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.