-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our property taxes are so high I wonder if those charging ever do break even. It really can’t be cheap here unless its a favor

Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by hanco
Reasonable, Texas, hunting don’t go together too well. Way overpriced

Not necessarily. You can do MLD doe hunts clear into Feb and you can get them for $150 per doe if you shop around especially for a youth. Toss in a hog or two and a youngster can have a good hunt without breaking the bank.

To the OP: Someone already mentioned the Texas Hunting Forum. They have a guides/outfitter forum. Register for that site and post what you are looking for there. People will have what you are looking for especially if you'll be happy shooting some does and not bucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to agree with deflave on this one, paying to hunt over a feeder just ain’t hunting skill.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 10/26/22.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Hehehe. I always wanted some sucker following me around trying to straighten out my schiett. grin

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t follow brother and the one time I was commanded to I snatched the young butter bar down during a firefight by his belt so hard it cracked his pelvis and from then on he followed me.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 10/26/22.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by deflave
This is a stupid idea.

This is probably the dumbest comment I have ever seen. Why is trying to take a youth hunting bad? Seriously you really need to do some self evaluation.

Yeah sure.

Eight year old in the deer blind. “Shoot ‘em now son. Ok time to go home.”

LOL

Gimme a fugking break.

I shot my first deer at 9 years old on a spot and stalk hunt for mule deer. Maybe I was more mature and capable than you were at that age?

You're pretty pathetic

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Our property taxes are so high I wonder if those charging ever do break even. It really can’t be cheap here unless its a favor

Have you ever looked into the MLD hunts? Many ranches sell very high priced hunts for bucks but to be in the MLD program they have to take a certain number of does off the place. If paying hunters don't shoot the does then the landowner or landowner's designated representative has to shoot them and take care of the meat. This is why many places offer inexpensive doe hunts after they are done with the buck hunts. It isn't about the $$$, it is about maintaining the requirements for being in the MLD program.

I have done such doe hunts for meat. By me taking the does the landowner's representative didn't have to shoot them. One year they had 64 leftover doe permits under the MLD tags. This means he had to shoot, dress, skin and remove from the property over 60 deer by the end of Feb if someone else didn't shoot them. This is the reason these hunts are done. They make their $$$ off the trophy bucks, not the does, but the does still have to be taken.

I am also a little surprised about the push back the OP is getting for wanting to get his child into hunting. If you don't expose them to hunting early in life they will probably never get into it. I'd rather see a kid sitting in a deer blind with his/her father than sitting on their butt playing video games or watching the idiot box. If we do not get the youth involved then we may be the last generations to enjoy hunting. How many of you "geniuses" have considered that? And I would like to point out the OP never said anything about sitting in a blind. You can do MLD doe hunts safari style which means you drive or walk and look for game and then go after them. I'll admit using a blind is the most common way they are done but if you would rather hunt a different way there are places that will accommodate you.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Two years ago my three sons (23, 30, 31) and I did a meat hunt at the Lazy CK Ranch in Hunt Texas. We shot eight does via high back truck and had a great time. This was more about finding a time when all three could get off work at the same time and enjoy our time together. This was an MLD hunt as mentioned above.

https://www.lazyckranch.com/meat-hunt-package/

You have this entire facility, three cabins with kitchen on the left and a professional grade outdoor kitchen to yourself to prepare your own meals. Two clean bathrooms are across from the cabins shown.

https://www.lazyckranch.com/area-39-hunts

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by chicoredneck
I’m looking for a place to bring my oldest boy for his first deer hunt next year. My boy has hunted small game and turkeys, and he’s ready for something bigger. He will be 8 or 9 depending on where the season falls. Due to work limitations I can’t hunt the second half of November or most of December.

I would like for my wife, my boy and myself all to have an option to fill a tag at a reasonable price and enjoy ourselves. I know nothing about Texas (never been) and will be traveling from NV.

You might want to contact Muley Mike McKinney of West Texas Hunts. He has a good website and Mike is well known as a straight arrow.

He has multiple ranches and can arrange what you’re looking for. I’ve found his prices very reasonable.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Lol. City folk....

If you think so go and try his free range Aoudad hunt and get back to me.

In case you missed it, the subject of the OP is that man wants to bring his 8 year old Son hunting.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The MLD hunts sound interesting. I’ll look into that. Looks like the TX forum is the way to go to get what I want. For the record, sitting over a corn feeder is not what I’m looking for, but I have no problems with it. Nor am I looking for a drive around the ranch and shoot a deer from the truck experience. There are lots of big ranches in TX. I’m sure there are other options for hunting besides sitting a feeder.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I’m looking for a place to bring my oldest boy for his first deer hunt next year. My boy has hunted small game and turkeys, and he’s ready for something bigger. He will be 8 or 9 depending on where the season falls. Due to work limitations I can’t hunt the second half of November or most of December.

I would like for my wife, my boy and myself all to have an option to fill a tag at a reasonable price and enjoy ourselves. I know nothing about Texas (never been) and will be traveling from NV.

You might want to contact Muley Mike McKinney of West Texas Hunts. He has a good website and Mike is well known as a straight arrow.

He has multiple ranches and can arrange what you’re looking for. I’ve found his prices very reasonable.

Lol. City folk....

LOL!

Texas Hunting Forum wouldn't be a bad place to start.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look up the Greater Houston Christian outdoor Fellowship. They have father son / father-daughter Hunts on a regular basis. They are the most reasonable option for such a thing. I took both my son and daughter different times. They work with Outfitters who want to introduce hunting to the Young Folks. Good people.

Most hunts are in the Hill Country on great big ranches. During Whitetail season you'll hunt whitetails and or access deer and or feral Hogs.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
schit greg you just got owned by someone who doesn't even hunt!!! lol

Lol. City folk....

LOL!

Texas Hunting Forum wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 44 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,345
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.