-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got a new string, peep, loop, and drop down rest put on.
With back surgery On November 28th looming, and not sure how I'm going to be, I had the draw weight set at 55 pounds. My draw length is 28", and the 3 arrows the grandson had with the bow, are 30".
Got to shoot for a bit, and for not shooting a bow for about 20 years, I was shooting pretty well at 20 yards.
I like the back wall of the bow, and how light it is.
Was really surprised how quiet it is, and lack of recoil.
I got fluro pink, purple, and black for the string. Something bright I hope to not hit it with a broadhead blade.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I want to get some arrows.
Carbon of course, but what spine ?
I have a 28" draw, shooting 30" arrows. I'm set at 55 pounds now, and in time will go to 60.
The archery shop says 400's are perfect, but I saw a chart that shows a 340 in my sizes also.
I'll stick with a 100 grain point, field or broadhed, and maybe add some brand of lighted knock.
What spine should I get ?
Who's using lighted knocks, which brand ? Any downsides to them ?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I’d be in the 340 club, but that’s an opinion, without running your numbers through an arrow app.

I like the Nocturnals with universal fit kit - the switch is a plunger in the valley of the nock, and you need a knife tip to turn them off through a port on the side of the nock. They’ve worked well for me.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So no help with buying 300 or 400 spined arrows ?

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go 300.
With only pulling 55lbs you’ll want a good fixed broadhead (single bevel if you’re up for it) and some weight up front. A good 300 will carry that nicely.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you.
As I gain my strength back I'll up the poundage, but not looking at going much over 60, if at all.
Was drawing the bow back today, and I'm not liking where the shop set me up at for draw length. I'm anchoring too far back behind the corner of my mouth.
I'm going to take it back and have them shorten the length. I have 3 arrows at 28", and find they are right at the front edge of the shelf, so I'm going to see if I can go with 28" arrows instead of 30".
Years ago, I used Thunderheads. I see lots of fixed blades out now, and always like a Bear greenie, and the like of that type of broadhead.
As of right now, I can't see me hunting with my bow yet, but more 3d shooting to get out, and build myself back up.
This blown back has really made me soft.
I'm going to have a road to travel to come up out of after. Found out Wednesday, that they plan on keeping my at least 4 or 5 days after.
I'm have some pretty major stuff done. I'll be fused from l2 to s1.
I like these or similar tho !
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by splattermatic; 11/12/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I shoot just about the same draw length as you, 27.5”, but a bit more poundage (up to 70). I have always used Beman ICS Hunter arrows in 340 or 400. They aren’t the latest and greatest whatever, but are reasonably priced and 100% reliable for me. You can get 1/2 dozen assembled from Bass Pro or Ebay for ~$40. I like the ViBrake insert option, it has the little rubbery sperm-like tail which I feel really does work to cut down on vibration. I fletch them with 2” vanes, Blazer, or even those hot water shrink-on ones have worked well for me. For lighted nocks I use Nockturnal exclusively. I have tried others and none were as reliable, some outright sucked. Beman shafts use type S Nockturnals. For field tips I use Trophy Taker tight point 100 grain 9/32”. They have a little o-ring above the thread which does a great job keeping them tight while shooting. I have dinked around with different broadheads but have settled back with my first - boring old NAP Thunderhead fixed blade 100 grain. They are inexpensive, sold everywhere it seems (even Walmart in a pinch), fly straight with no POI shift from my field tips, and most importantly kill stuff dead quickly. I have never NOT had a complete pass through on a deer with these, but have had multiple problems with mechanicals such as NAP Killzone or Rages.

My first bow was a Diamond, I have a soft spot for them. I bought an entire setup off Craigslist 12 years ago for $275, bow, quiver, sight, arrows, case, etc. as it was a cheap way to try the sport, in my size and left handed. The archery world is seriously biased against lefties I have found. It shot an amazingly consistent 267 fps but had a terrible back wall with not enough let-off. But I stacked up deer with it for 6 years, great memories.

Good luck on your surgery! A four level fusion is a whooper. I need a three (L3 to s1) but am still highly functional with nerve blocks and pain meds. Bad days are bad though. Ask about the hardware being used and research it in the MAUDE database online (FDA complaint reporting database). Amazing to me the people who never research the metal that will be in them for the rest of their lives. Biased though, I am in that industry.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I already have metal holding me together at l4 & l5.
Hope they use the same metal.
I hope you last a lifetime without the surgery.
Thanks for the reply, I like the bow, I like it better than my old Oneida.
Talk about cheap. You can get a dozen carbon arrows off Ebay for @ 30 bucks ! Looking at arrow spine charts, a 400, at 28", shows at 60 pounds, so I think I'll be fine.
Thank all, I'm done with questions.

Last edited by splattermatic; 11/12/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,654
Posts18,533,853
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.