Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Need/want to restock my Swedish Mauser. Short version: Given the gun 20+ years ago. It had been sporterized long before me, bolt turn down, Timney trigger military barrel shortened to 20". Gun always shot well but stock that was put on, while very nice walnut weighs a ton. Specifically, pulled the action & weighed the stock - 6 lbs +. Forearm is hand-filling 3+" diameter and LOP is just short for me. This is a hunting gun, NOT a target or look nice on the wall rifle. smile

So - looking at options. 2 major options for mostly drop in, Boyds & Richards:
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
https://richardsmicrofitgunstocks.com/product-category/sporter-styles/?act=military-93-94-95-96

Inclined to go with one of them, drop-in is simpler solution, I like the idea of laminated wood even if heavy. I live in a very humid part of the world, stock stability matters. However there are other options, walnut from Carolina gunstocks https://www.carolinagunstocks.com/mauser-replacement-patterns.html or from Macon https://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/3543-Mauser-93-95-Graft-Walnut-Stock-Mauser-93-95-3543.htm
Yes both require work but January & February I am stuck indoors anyway a lot.

So, questions:

1. Anyone used any of the above sellers? Thoughts on quality/customer service/durability?

2. Style? Not inclined to put on any of the adjustable stocks like the Boyd varieties. This rifle is >100 years old for gosh sakes, all that metal showing feels wrong. Thinking Prairie or Platinum from Boyds or Cascade Classic from Richards.

Any other sources?

Thanks

RAS

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a Boyd's Heritage on my sporterized 1908 Gustav. I like it a lot. It required minor fitting - I had to remove about 1/16" off the front of the magazine well hole.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I put a Richard's stock on mine years ago. Works great, but it is cut for the iron sights and I need higher comb for a scope. It has a Bhueler safety on it and I can't lower the scope any. Before you buy anything, check that.I will probably make new stock this winter for it

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I hate any of those Boyd's stocks.Too heavy and are hard to do any work on.Each layer of wood, the grain runs the opposite direction and all that glue between each one sure dulls any cutting tools

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/05/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Boyds will be closer to drop in fit, Richard's will require a lot more refinement to make a useable stock. That's been my experience with those rifle stock makers. I have no experience with the others.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanx.
Saddlesore: Is that Richard's stock all wood or a laminate?

As to fitting, I do have a dremel and know how to use it. smile

RAS

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's what I used.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My experience with Boyds has been a lot better than my experience with Richards. Boyds stocks only occasionally need to be fitted, other than the usual glass bedding, while Richards stocks are closer to 60% finished than whatever they are advertised as. I would only recommend a Richards stock to someone who has the skills and the tools necessary to finish it, otherwise the frustration might drive you to scrap the whole project and look elsewhere.

Good luck with whatever stock you choose to go with.; Unless there is no other choice, I try to avoid even thinking about Richards stocks.

PS - I have several laminated stocks from Boyds and only 4 or 5 stocks from Richards, some walnut and some laminated.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 11/06/22. Reason: Added a PS comment
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ve used three Boyd’s stocks and have been very happy with all of them.

The one Richard’s stick I used was a significant disappointment.

I’ve had no issues reshaping a laminate stock with rasps and sanders.

Good luck with the projects and please share photos when you’re done.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Ordered a Boyd's laminate. Couple weeks maybe to get here, just in time for Turkey day time off to fit/install. Will post pics after.

Curious to see how much fitting is needed around the Timney and the mag well.

Debating glass bedding or not, did opt for the pillar install.

RAS

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RSherburne
Thanx.
Saddlesore: Is that Richard's stock all wood or a laminate?

As to fitting, I do have a dremel and know how to use it. smile

RAS

Wood. I have worked on a few laminates and hate them.This Richard was quite a few years ago and required little fitting.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/09/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
That's what I used.

Theo Gallus
Campfire Tracker

40N, 82 1/2W
I wish I could get snubbed by a bunch morons whose common denominator is licking Trumps a$$.

Oh, wait, I already have - here.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Back to drawing board, darn it.

Ordered Boyd's laminated stock. Came in. As someone predicted needs fitting as to length of magazine. However, the magazine well is cut so wide I could put a dime on either side of the well between the metal and the wood. Not looking to have that kind of a gap, really surprised at how oversize it was cut side to side. The barrel and action fit well, would only need some relieving around the Timney safety which I did expect.

So Boyd's is a no go.

Maybe I will just find someone to make me a nice wood stock....

frown
RAS

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RSherburne
Back to drawing board, darn it.

Ordered Boyd's laminated stock. Came in. As someone predicted needs fitting as to length of magazine. However, the magazine well is cut so wide I could put a dime on either side of the well between the metal and the wood. Not looking to have that kind of a gap, really surprised at how oversize it was cut side to side. The barrel and action fit well, would only need some relieving around the Timney safety which I did expect.

So Boyd's is a no go.

Maybe I will just find someone to make me a nice wood stock....

frown
RAS

Hence, their calling it "drop in." Always amazes me how many think that large a gap is a "perfect" fit. I can turn you on to a guy that will make you a stock sans gaps.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Slightly off topic...

But I am glad my Swede has full military hardware from 1919....

I wouldn't want it any other way....even If I have to squint with those military sights to use it...

Still turns in small groups at 200 yds...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever consider a good synthetic stock with an aluminum bedding block? Would be great if you are concerned with dampness issues. Bell & Carlson makes one for Mod. 96 Swedes. Put one on my Kimber sporterized Mod. 96 about 4 years ago. It had a Timney trigger that would have required too much metal removal from the bedding block. Found a Dayton Traister trigger that takes up less room down there. Best thing I ever did for that gun was to ditch the injection molded Ram-Line stock that Kimber was using back then, ( mid 1990's). Only fitting I had to do was a little filing for the bolt handle to go down all the way. Everything else fit great. I like laminates too, but I'm real happy to get the rifle bedded nicely in a weather proof stock that fits beautifully. Bell & Carlson still lists them on their web site.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a similar sporterized Swed 1916 Carl.

It had a Maple stock from Royal (Peterson) from the 80's which I sold off.

Has a scout scope and a ramline or Butler creek plastic stock on it now.

Last edited by richj; 11/29/22.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Probably going Bell & Carlson, debating Brown with spiderweb or Green with spiderweb.

We will see. Likely have to pull my Timney w/ safety and install the version w/o safety and revert to the OEM safety.

RAS

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In the Maple

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

in the ramline

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (BALLISTIK, 35, arky65, 300_savage, anothergun, 10 invisible), 16,875 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,196
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.