-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have heard that some are applying to register AR pistols as sbr's due to brace rule changes. Would it make sense to spend the $200 towards a suppressor stamp then permanently attaching the supreasor (pin) making it over 16"? Are suppressors available that would work in that application?
No dog in the fight but seems like it may be a better solution for some.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
why dedicate a suppressor that could be used on other guns later on. At least thats my take anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
why dedicate a suppressor that could be used on other guns later on. At least thats my take anyway.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No habla.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Have heard that some are applying to register AR pistols as sbr's due to brace rule changes. Would it make sense to spend the $200 towards a suppressor stamp then permanently attaching the supreasor (pin) making it over 16"? Are suppressors available that would work in that application?

There are suppressors that can be pinned and welded as easily as any muzzle device.

And there is one plus to going that way vs sbr: sbr’s are regulated more strictly than suppressors. If you plan to take your sbr over state lines you have to fill out a form and have it approved by the aFt prior. A suppressor has no such restrictions. If you live somewhere where you travel back and forth over state lines frequently the convenience of the non-sbr could be preferable

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 117LBS
Originally Posted by 86thecat

There are suppressors that can be pinned and welded as easily as any muzzle device.

And there is one plus to going that way vs sbr: sbr’s are regulated more strictly than suppressors. If you plan to take your sbr over state lines you have to fill out a form and have it approved by the aFt prior. A suppressor has no such restrictions. If you live somewhere where you travel back and forth over state lines frequently the convenience of the non-sbr could be preferable

This guy makes some good points.

Once you start shooting suppressed you will want one for each rifle.

Only the poors swap suppressors around.

That's a joke for those who don't get a bit of humour. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My opinion ONLY.

1) You already have to register the lower for a DIY AR.
I "AM NOT" spending extra dollars and releasing more info to "Big Brother" simply because I want a barrel less than 16" in length.

2) You double the price of a suppressor with no sensical gummint red tape.

3) A suppressor is MINE! I paid for it with MY dollars!
Ain't none of the gummint's bidness who I sell it to! ....or WHERE I sell it!

Better I just use 16" barrels and go on about my rat killing. I don't like the short barrel stuff anyway!

JMNSHO

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
My opinion ONLY.

1) You already have to register the lower for a DIY AR.
I "AM NOT" spending extra dollars and releasing more info to "Big Brother" simply because I want a barrel less than 16" in length.

2) You double the price of a suppressor with no sensical gummint red tape.

3) A suppressor is MINE! I paid for it with MY dollars!
Ain't none of the gummint's bidness who I sell it to! ....or WHERE I sell it!

Better I just use 16" barrels and go on about my rat killing. I don't like the short barrel stuff anyway!

JMNSHO
#1 are you just pertaining to the 4473? or do you live in a state you have to do something different if you buy the piece at a time..?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I look at it a couple different ways. For starters, I already have a bunch of silencers. And most of them are paired up with the gun they stay on 99% of the time anyway. I very rarely move them around. Not only due to having my sights or scopes zeroed together, I like them where they're at. Mostly for how they sound, but also my hunting guns and weight considerations also play into things. Further, I still have silencers that I can move around to other things if I want to. So, it's not like they're all tied up all the time.

The guns I shoot suppressed, as I mentioned, are usually always wearing their same cans. I've gotten spoiled and don't enjoy shooting them without. Again, another reason for me to leave things the way I like them.

But, I would lose several hundred if I don't perm attach. Mainly because I'm not wanting to pay another $200 for each gun to the government in extortion money to keep my guns the way I want them. Actually, let me take that back. I will be ditching the braces which don't work, and will be installing ACTUAL BONAFIDE buttstocks and be perfectly legal to do it and without gov interference.

I have built multiple guns and uppers that are integrally suppressed anyway. So, again, I have no problem with dedicating cans to guns.

Whether they give an amnesty or not, I'm not registering anything else. I made that decision almost 2 years ago. Some would tell me that's stupid. That's OK. But I'm not registering anything else. Ever. It's a hard line for me now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,023
Posts18,500,462
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.