Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by devnull
I like the 6.5 Creedmoor. I also like the the .243 and .260 and have hunted with them for years. My experience has been that you are more likely to meet a new shooter shooting 6.5 Creed than any other cartridge. Hornady does a great job at marketing....Remington should've taken lessons years ago.
Remington was busy planning their next bankruptcy, and trying to figure out how many corners they could cut to grabble a few more nickels. Cut 'em some slack.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I’ve shot 10-12 blacktails with 6.5cm 6cm and 243 all with factory ammo. I will say favorite is the 6cm with factory 108eldm. There is less drop then the 6.5 and still plenty of killing power out to 5-600yards. Less recoil makes spotting shots super easy. If I was only shooting deer/hogs under 500yds and I had to pick one caliber I’d be a 6cm in a 7-8lb rifle.

The 243 sticks around because it’s a kimber super America and I love looking at it when hunting, but for rifle bought to just to kill animals, I wouldn’t pick it if had the choice.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the 6.5 Creedmoor. I also like the the .243 and .260 and have hunted with them for years. My experience has been that you are more likely to meet a new shooter shooting 6.5 Creed than any other cartridge. Hornady does a great job at marketing....Remington should've taken lessons years ago.
Deer can’t tell the difference. Not sure shooters can either.

Comparing Creed and Swede. I have both, each with Shilen barrel, set up pretty similar. Both are sub MOA, the Creed grouping more different loads than the Swede. Creed is less finicky than the Swede, hard to find a load Creed won’t shoot pretty well. Swede likes what it likes, not so much what it doesn’t.

I think another way the Creed shines is twist. Someone mentioned a fast twist .243. Unfortunately they don’t come that way out of the box.

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Remington was busy planning their next bankruptcy, and trying to figure out how many corners they could cut to grabble a few more nickels. Cut 'em some slack.

Fair assessment by both posters but if Hornady ever gets bought out by a bunch of anti-gun corporate raiders like Remington did they won't fair any better. Hornady's biggest problem is their marketing fugs and bean counters who get rid of proven bullet lines like the SP flatbase for un proven crap like SST's all to chase some of noslers market share. Fugging dicks...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Fair assessment by both posters but if Hornady ever gets bought out by a bunch of anti-gun corporate raiders like Remington did they won't fair any better. Hornady's biggest problem is their marketing fugs and bean counters who get rid of proven bullet lines like the SP flatbase for un proven crap like SST's all to chase some of noslers market share. Fugging dicks...mb

The 129 interbond factory load was great in the 6.5cm... so naturally Hornady discontinued it 😂😇

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hornady's biggest problem is their marketing fugs and bean counters who get rid of proven bullet lines like the SP flatbase for un proven crap like SST's all to chase some of noslers market share. Fugging dicks...mb

Question, where is this coming from? They are still showing the SP flatbases on their website.

Last edited by DropTyne; 11/11/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They have discontinued several of them.

Examples: 6mm 100 grain, .257" 100 grain

I also believe the .308" 165 was out for a while, but it came back. I haven't been able to get the newer version to shoot as well as the old production.

Last edited by mathman; 11/11/22. Reason: added text
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Is this coming from Hornady, or because of recent component availability?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They dropped the those I mentioned a while back, pre-Brandon.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mathman
They have discontinued several of them.

Examples: 6mm 100 grain, .257" 100 grain

I also believe the .308" 165 was out for a while, but it came back. I haven't been able to get the newer version to shoot as well as the old production.

I also don't like the more blunt profile of the newer version SP innerlocs. Both 150 and 165.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I also don't like the more blunt profile of the newer version SP innerlocs. Both 150 and 165.

Me neither, flat base and boat tail version too.

I have the 150 working well enough to do for my deer/pig killing though. Tomorrow morning I'll be in the field with my 700 Classic in 300 Savage.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
If I think I need more than a .243, I go to one of my 300wm. The gun writers did a great job selling the 6.5 CM as a long range cartridge to the average hunter who's not capable of long range shooting.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
People attempting things beyond their capabilities isn't new.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
. . . Hornady's biggest problem is their marketing fugs and bean counters who get rid of proven bullet lines like the SP flatbase for un proven crap like SST's all to chase some of noslers market share. ..mb

That's every industry now.
People used to specialize, and were
the best or at least top tier at what they
do. Now the business degree people have
invaded every industry, and their schooling
tells them that if so-and-so over there is
selling to this-and-that customer base, we
should be able to do that thing too, and
have those customers for ourselves.
Never mind that your business was at the
top of the game, and the employees were
some of the best and the brightest at what
they did for years. Everybody has the
McDonald's menu syndrome now. Cover
every base. Some of it may be half a$$ed,
but by God we covered the bases

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hornady can't keep up with the demand for their bullets.

They make what is most popular as any smart buisness should to keep as many customers happy as possible.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

That doesn't sound like smart business.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

What he should have said is that they can't keep up with current demand of some of their bullets.

They are still practicing smart business by ramping up production of those bullets in demand, at the expense of the less desirable bullets rather than invest a bunch of money into capital assets that will sit idle as soon as the demand goes down.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

How do you suggest they improve their business model Paul?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hornady has a growth plan that is pretty agressive but demand for their product keeps exceeding production.

The production has increased by a lot but demand keeps getting ahead.

Bullet presses are not cheap or easy to purchase.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 163bc, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,486
Posts18,529,737
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.