Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I would guess it has to do with turning the bushing under spring pressure.
Wear maybe.
That was my thought. He hand fit the bushing with little tolerance, and he doesn't want that messed with.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Well, you've already made your choice, so commenting is kind of a moot point, but I'll do it anyway.

At the level of product your at, they are all good guns & it just boils down to pretty much personal preference.

You really can't go wrong with an EB product & they are nicely done pieces; but for my taste, EB is not in the top 5............can't really put my finger on it, but they just don't have the curb appeal as others.

On the higher end side, I have a couple of Wilson's, a Christensen custom, & Dan Wesson Guardian amongst more than a dozen 1911's including a Colt NM.

I was somewhat enamored with the round butt style & have 3 of them, but after carrying them, there's really no advantage from a carry / printing standpoint & I still kinda prefer the classic grip look.

But I do have to say that all 3 of the round butt guns are my favorite EDC's, not necessarily because of the round butt itself, but more because of the feel & balance of the gun.............all are alloy frames, with one being titanium & the weight of the alloy frames does make a difference in all day comfort..........if you actually plan to carry your new gun.

If I were to want to buy a new(er) gun in that class for all day carry, it would likely be a Wilson X-Tac Compact with a alloy frame & Wilson (small) round butt design.

Good luck with your new acquisition, & be sure to give Appendix IWB carry a shot.............the 4.25" barrel works well that way but 5" is too long.

Cascadia Concealment make a good AIWB for a 1911, but only for a 5" gun, but he will shorten it for you to fit your gun & then you can fine tune & round the bottom a bit to suit you after you get it............I assure you that if you can make yourself give AIWB a genuine trial, it will be all you will want, assuming that any kind of IWB fits your attire for daily or regular use.

Cascadia AIWB

MM

I've been thinking of picking up a light weight Kobra Carry but is there enough difference with the Dan Wesson Guardian to make any difference. There's about a $1500 price difference.

I have a Gov't Dan Wesson Vigil and its a well made pistol. Shoots better than I do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Well, you've already made your choice, so commenting is kind of a moot point, but I'll do it anyway.

At the level of product your at, they are all good guns & it just boils down to pretty much personal preference.

You really can't go wrong with an EB product & they are nicely done pieces; but for my taste, EB is not in the top 5............can't really put my finger on it, but they just don't have the curb appeal as others.

On the higher end side, I have a couple of Wilson's, a Christensen custom, & Dan Wesson Guardian amongst more than a dozen 1911's including a Colt NM.

I was somewhat enamored with the round butt style & have 3 of them, but after carrying them, there's really no advantage from a carry / printing standpoint & I still kinda prefer the classic grip look.

But I do have to say that all 3 of the round butt guns are my favorite EDC's, not necessarily because of the round butt itself, but more because of the feel & balance of the gun.............all are alloy frames, with one being titanium & the weight of the alloy frames does make a difference in all day comfort..........if you actually plan to carry your new gun.

If I were to want to buy a new(er) gun in that class for all day carry, it would likely be a Wilson X-Tac Compact with a alloy frame & Wilson (small) round butt design.

Good luck with your new acquisition, & be sure to give Appendix IWB carry a shot.............the 4.25" barrel works well that way but 5" is too long.

Cascadia Concealment make a good AIWB for a 1911, but only for a 5" gun, but he will shorten it for you to fit your gun & then you can fine tune & round the bottom a bit to suit you after you get it............I assure you that if you can make yourself give AIWB a genuine trial, it will be all you will want, assuming that any kind of IWB fits your attire for daily or regular use.

Cascadia AIWB

MM

I've been thinking of picking up a light weight Kobra Carry but is there enough difference with the Dan Wesson Guardian to make any difference. There's about a $1500 price difference.

I have a Gov't Dan Wesson Vigil and its a well made pistol. Shoots better than I do.

Functionally & effectively, definitely no, there is no difference.

But with the EB, you get the bragging rights of having an truly customs built gun, if if you buy one of their standards, with no more add-ons.

But in reality, that's also true for a number of other guns but I'd be more inclined to wring out many more of the -off-the-shelf guns before using them as EDC's. Maybe replacing a few parts which is not necessary on the few top end guns, DW falling into that category.

YMMV

MM

Last edited by MontanaMan; 11/12/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I haven’t handled an executive carry. I do like the snake skin on the KC. I am around 400 rounds in since buying brand new.
I have fed it 124 and 147 FMJ and HP’s of different makes.

Not one failure to feed, fire, extract….. just has run flawlessly

It’s a tight gun/ close tolerances and I run it wet
It’s a may 2022 build for whatever that’s worth. It’s the one pistol I doubt I’ll ever part with. I love the trigger, safety, slick as snot tight action…

[Linked Image from iili.io]

My eyes prefer the red dot to irons though although the snakeskin cocking serrations trump the USA flag for grip/tackiness

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Picked it up the other day and put some Wood Caliber checkered double diamond grips on it

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice early Christmas gift to yourself.

Now, get some rounds through it, a good holster, make it your EDC, & feel safe when you are out & about.

MM

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
THATS A BEAUTIFUL pistol
I bought my holster for Kobra Carry from Wright Leather Works.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I ordered a Warbird Leatherworks IWB with Elephant trim for it the day I bought the pistol.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pacecars
Somehow with all the revolvers I have been accumulating I find myself without a .45 1911. I need to rectify the situation and knock one off the bucket list at the same time. I have always wanted an Ed Brown Kobra Carry since I saw the first one in a magazine way back when. It was tops on the list until I ran across the Executive Carry. I am assuming that the difference between them is the checkering on the Executive and the Kobra having the “scale like” treatment. Anyone own one or both? Good and bad? Is it a big enough step above a Dan Wesson to justify the price?
Ive owned all 3 mentioned here. No its not a big enough step up over the dan wesson, but if money isnt an issue, why the hell not..ed browns sure are purty

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think, I'm needing to treat myself to a nice 1911

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
You need at least one really nice 1911.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Treat yourself. They are truly a work of art!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best I have at this time is a Colt Gold Cup.
In a few days I'll get out and purchase an Ed Brown, in Kobra Carry.

Thanks for the help, men.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 11/23/22.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (Amos63, 7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 12 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,664
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.