Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1780127 11/04/07
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A friend of mine has got his head set on getting a new 9.3x62 rifle. He asked my advice on which to get, Tikka or CZ. I have no experience with either so I thought some of you guys might have a preference and why.
BTW, he said both rifles feel the same and the price difference doesn't matter.
Thanks
-Rooster

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
CZ.

I have the 550FS in 9.3x62, and it's the catsazz.

GREAT trigger (fully adjustable, and set-capable). PLENTY accurate. CRF (always a plus).

Talley QRs fit beautifully.

Gonna swap the rear sight on this one for a Whitworth three-leaf express post season; mate with a NECG bead out front (ivory-ish). And, eventually gonna swap the safety for a three-position M70-style rig.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that I'd change.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
For me, the CZ. No contest. I'll qualify that by saying there is nothing wrong with the Tikka for accuracy or dependability. I don't know anyone who owns a Tikka who does not like it, or has sold it because of some issue. My choice is purely based on aesthetic preference, nothing more or less.

I like the CZ's more traditional look and feel better. I like the action better. Your friend may feel entirely different. He should go with the one that feels more comfortable to him, because neither one will disappoint. If he truly believes they both feel the same, then I'd ask if they had scopes mounted when he handled them, because I suspect not. If he can't get that, or they still feel the same, then go with the CZ for the CRF, just for something to tip the balance.

Last edited by FLNative; 11/04/07.
M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Both good rifles but the CZ is much more likely to require some gunsmithing - like bedding, trigger work. If he wants a rifle that he can just mount a scope on & shoot, the T3 is very hard to beat.

If he is at all recoil sensitive, the T3 is the lighter of the two and recoil will be a bit more noticeable - but thats reducable by fitting a factory fit Limbsaver pad.

FLNative gave some good advice - its personal preference - he should go with the one that fits and feels the best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The CZ! May need some refining, but you would have something the Tikka could never be.

WAR EAGLE!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka ,most likely to be more accurate

1 and done
D
D
I have a few CZ'a and they are really nice rifles. Very solid and well built. Mine are all Walnut and steel, no plastic magazines or such.

Though those Tikka owners sure do seem to like them too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CZ is a WAY better rifle. As Diogee said no plastic, no tool marks, by far the sleeper deal in guns today.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The only problem I have with the CZ is weight.They go almost 8lbs. before Scope and Rings.The Tikka T3 Lite is 6lbs,6oz. out of the box and shoots great.Its hard to find a smoother action.Their single stack magazine beats the snot out of others for reliability.I can take it in the woods and not feel bad if it gets dinged up.The CZ`s are great looking rifles and shoot well but is just to heavy for me to carry around on all day hunts that you are walking for most of the day.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody seen a T3 9.3x62 in the US? I know you can get them in Molson country or across the pond but I've never seen or heard of one in Texas...or I'd prolly have bought it.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's another vote for the CZ, either the CZ 550 American and the full stock model. I have shot my brother's CZ 550 American in that caliber and it does thump you some. If you got a rifle that weights 6.2 pounds it might go from thumping you to kicking the crap out of you. Tom Purdom

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
CZ 550 FS on order as of today. Thanks for the info.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by verhoositz
Anybody seen a T3 9.3x62 in the US? I know you can get them in Molson country or across the pond but I've never seen or heard of one in Texas...or I'd prolly have bought it.
Ron

You raise an excellent point here. If Beretta ever decided to make them available here, I'd cast my vote for the Sako 85 in 9.3x62. However, as things stand now, CZ gets the nod.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for CZ. Tikkas are good shooting rifles but to my eye are just plain butt ugly. CZs seem to shoot just as well and have classic lines and features that offer a lot for the money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the T3 and how it handles the best so most likely I would go this way if I could find one.

But, the other day out at the range I handled and shot a CZ/Mannlicher in 9.3 and it was really a sweety.

For me to date it is the only CZ that I really liked how it felt.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No contest..... The CZ is by far a better rifle. The FS version is THE one to get.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't like the CZ's having owned two. I really liked my Tikka White tail hunter deluxe in 7mag. As far as the plastic discussion, 2-4K Steyrs have been using "plastic" detachable magazines for 50 years. To me, the CZ was crude compared to the Tikka........compared to the Garcia and pre-Garcia Sakos.....they are both crude. I would look for an older Sako in 99% rather than purchase either the CZ or the Tikka. That's why I'm sakorick!!!! Good luck whatever you deceide. Regards, Rick.

John Deere tractors and Sako rifles.....doesn't get any better.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well sakorick,

That's pretty interesting. What exactly was crude about the CZ and Tikka?

Last edited by Redhat; 11/07/07.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1minute, 67 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.