Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 1,842 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 1841 1842
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Good for you Dave!

I'm in the Zone myself, I'm off from now till Monday and the rut is Really on right now. Been seeing Lots of bucks next to the roads driving to work so I thought I should join them tomorrow morning with a Bow and hopefully an arrow in a Big boy sometime soon... I'm gonna make a tent and camp in the backyard the next few days so the kids can come out with me for campmeal and marshmellows eachnight after school and my evening hunts. It feels Wonderful with temp highs around 55 this weekend it should Really be Great for hunting. Good Luck this weekend!

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
last day at work till tuesday.

oh I'm so ready for this. It's finally here.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
My buddy Jim (rooster7) sent me a camera phone pic of a buck he shot tonight.

what a dandy!!

12 pointer, rooster7 says he's 150-ish

here's the kicker, he shot him out of the same spot "the boy" sat in not long ago to connect on the buck I posted just a short time ago... 2 fantastic bucks taken with bow from the same stand in the same season.

Jim says we got a friend upstairs making drives for us or something....

I'm excited for him & I hope he can post pictures.

dave

Something clever here.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

Thats Awesome! You tell him congrats ok... We need pics though... LOL.. Good Luck this weekend..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good hunting! I have to say I am a bit green with envy. You have done an awesome job. Your hunting camp compadres are lucky peopel to say the least! We expect pictures of the hunt!

eh76

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey guys!
Yes I did score on a dandy last night with my bow. He went 30 yards and tipped over backwards! I backed out and left him alone for an hour and a half but after seeing him, he was done the moment I seen him tip over. His rack was stuck in the ground! I may sound weird but I honestly believe that "the boys" father is "helping us out" a little bit. (Thats my story and I'm stickin to it!) smile The first person I called was "the boy" forgetting that he had a footbal game which they won 38 - 7! Woo hooooo Good Job Boy!! I don't have a digital camera but will scan the pics and with Dave's help I will post them. He is truly a beautiful deer.... 7 x 5 lots of mass and character. I'm trying to figure out how to get him weighed now. He's HUGE! 34" around the neck with the tape tight and it seems like 3 feet from the spine to the chest. I will post the story along with the pic next week! To Dave, the Uncle and "the boy"....Best of luck this weekend at the new camp. I hope you all have great success and even if you don't.....this is the start of something good.......something good indeed! Thank you Dave...............

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats Rooster, it should be a great pic can't wait to see it.

bd

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My neighbor just came over and scored my buck. It's unofficial of course but he came up with 153.2. My best buck to date and I got it with a bow. I'm pumped to say the least!!!!
Now......for the rest of you bearded, orange wearin, smelly, joke tellin warriors, go out and get some of this action!!! The rut is on and its on hard! GOOD LUCK everyone. Hopefully next week we can flood this site with pictures of huge timber goats!! WOO-LOO-LOO-LOO-LOO!!!!

Jim

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Congrats Rooster!!!

Just have a few more chores to do around home and by 3 this afternoon I'm going back out. I rattled in 5 different bucks yesterday myself, one was a dandy only a treelimb kept me from letting the arrow fly.. This is the weekend forsure, the Rut is On!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thank you very much! The field pics got developed today at "whalemart". They didn't turn out very good so I just took him down to my neighbors and got some really nice pics with his digital. Will post them next week. Well off to cape the bugger! Good Luck!

Jim

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Congrats Rooster,

cant' wait to see those pics. How about the story while we wait for the pics.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Well I have the pics but don't know how to get them on here. How do I do that?

The story..Ok. I had planned on getting out bowhunting one last time before the start of gun season. I didn't have to work the next day and a buddy was coming over at 7:30 to get his hair cut from my wife. So I figured I had better run to town to get some giggle juice for after the hunt. While there, I ran into Dave's uncle who had stopped to get his own for da trip up nort to da deer camp. As we were talking and he was showing me the bobcat that was going to live at the deer camp, "the boy" showed up too. We BS'd some and I told him I was going to hunt the spot where he shot his big buck that was posted on here earlier. He said might as well! It's a good spot! (In 2003 I shot a tall 8 point out of that stand. Last year "the boys" father shot a nice heavy buck out of that stand with one side missing from the rack. The boy shot his this year and now I got number two and my best buck to date out of there) Anyway, I get in the stand, let things settle a litte bit and then started grunting and using a Primo's Estrus can call. I hit this about every 15 minutes. I think it was between 6 and 6:30 when I stood up from the seat because it was getting "that time." 5 seconds after I stood a doe came up the hill and walked toward me. She was behind a tree about 10 yards. Then from where she came up the hill I heard a grunt, grunt, gruuuunt. I looked up and saw this buck standing half way up to the level ground. I thought he was staring right at me but turns out he was staring at the doe. She turned and walked down and out into the hayfield while he just stared at her and grunted. He started walking towards her so I drew my bow when he went behind some trees. He came out and stopped and all I could see was his rack and his butt. I had to tell myself to look at the butt, not the rack about 20 times. I let my draw down and waited. He then decided the coast was clear and went to join his girlfriend in the field and I let him have it at 20 yards. He ran 30 yards to the field edge and turned to head back down the hill to the heavy cover when he just stopped and tipped over backwards. I could no longer see him after he fell. I sat in the stand for about 20 minutes and waited for the doe to walk away. She was with in 10 yards a few times. When I couldn't see her anymore I climbed down and backed out for 1 1/2 hours. I drove my truck out to where I seen him fall praying that he was there and BINGO!!! there he laid, crumpled up with his rack stuck in the ground! YEE HAWWWWW! TIME TO BREAK OUT THAT GIGGLE JUICE!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks Rooster,

That is a good story. nothing like being able to drive the truck up the a big buck too. it makes the haul out a little eaiser. I did not get a deer. I passed up a long spike with brow tines on Sat. PM and the doe that was with him. On sunday AM I passed a couple does that came in a half hour apart. I wish I could go up again next weekend too, things should realy be rocking in the woods next weekend. My brother in law did not see a deer, which baffles my beyond belief because his spot was prime with trails, rubs, and scrapes. Next year I guess. Only 51 weeks till next year.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Alright, alright, what's going on in here? I been away since thursday & I can't believe this poast is still floating on the first page... I just happen to have pictures of Jim's deer & Jim himself "smiling like heck" so I'll post em.

Well, it was a fantastic weekend in the woods, beautiful out there, ecpecially yesterday with the trace of snow hanging in the big pines.
We had a great time, hunted real hard saturday & sunday, then my uncle & the boy went home sunday night, me & my daughter stayed out there sunday night & we hunted yesterday but it was so windy it seemed like the deer just didn't want to move in that wind.

Sadly, the meat pole is still empty. I had an opportunity to remedy that situation on sun morning & I was certain that I did just that.
I had a decent shot opportunity on a young 8 pointer... had to decide whether or not I wanted to burn my buck tag on yet another 8 pointer... but the meat pole was empty & we weren't doing so well up to that point so I decided to shoot him.

It went so well... and yet it went so badly.

I don't understand what happened, broadside 50 yds, hit him right in the front shoulder, .308 fusion fact loads... I watched him hunch up, tail went down & did that rapid flicker thing & he took off carrying his left shoulder tight where I aimed. I knew it was over... I cycled another round in the old Win model 88 for a follow up shot if needed but he got himself behind some thich cover & just stood there. I swore I heard him lay down or fall down... I waited about a half an hour & I was confident that I had a dead deer laying there... well, I really don't even like talking about what happened next but long story short. he took off, I went back to the shack & gave him a couple of hours then me & the boy went after him. we found a chunk of lung at one point on our blood trail... after about 3 miles the blood dried up & he got onto a fresh loggong clear cut where it looked like a artillary impact zone & we lost his track completely.

We lost him, first deer I've ever lost & I just can't for the life of me understand what went wrong.

I'll shoot that .308 tonight when I get home to see if there is something wrong there..

here's rooster's dandy of a buck, way to go Jim!!

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
well, well, well, look who's back.

Smillin' like heck...he is and should be. NICE BUCK Rooster.

sorry about your buck dave. I lost one in '98at the MN camp on shot I thought was behind the shoulder at 60 yds, but after about a 300yd tracking job the blood quit and we could not find anymore tracks or hair or anything. just gone. it sucks but it's part of the game. what else could you do? probably nothing, you backed out, gave it time and had blood and tracks, sounds right to me.

I was really hoping to see that meat pole filled and northern dave smillin' like heck. I don't have any death pics either. passed on a 4 point and 3 does. just didn't turn my crank I guess, I was sick too so that didn't help. brother in law saw nothing and wanted me to ventilate a doe but he did not want to take it home. I was not going to shoot one for the sake of shooting one. I wanted a pig. next year I guess. you have a few more weekends left to dirty the meat pole anyway.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Dave,
That really sucks and I'm sorry to hear that you lost your deer. It happens though so don't beat yourself up over it. Get back out there. Maybe its a sign that the grand daddy of all grand daddy bucks is going to be in your sights next time! I hope you get him man!
We had some snow here yesterday. I am not ready for it but also can't wait to get the sleds out!!

Jim

P.S. Thank you for posting the pic. I'm "pic posting challenged"

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks T-zone.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yeah I'm back out of the woods for a couple of days. hair on my face is a little nonger... muscles are sore from walking in da voods & climbing trees & such... back sore from sitting in stands with bad sitting positions.... but I'm ready to get back out there right now.

Ole fork toes is still hanging around out there leaving his heavy tracks all over the place... I think I jumped him north of the cabin sunday morning in the dark on my way to the "porypine stand".. sounded like a bull moose plowing brush with his horns... jeesh i hope I get to put my eyes on that guy.

We still have 2 weekends of rifle hunting to go, then black powder!!!

I'll catch up on sleep for a couple of days here & I expect i'll be back out there on thursday night probably by myself, i'll hunt friday & I expect my uncle & the boy to show up late friday night as the boy has a football game on friday.

I'll see what i can do about that smiling like heck picture with the meatpole full, we have time yet, things can change in a hurry.

that's a damn fine buck Jim, and a great story. Yeah me & ole "Uncle D" sat up & put away quite a few of them beers friday night!! Had a lot of fun just shooting the breeze & talking about stuff.

My cousin came to topic a few times, it was a good talk. My uncle said at one point during the night as we filled the kitchen table with empties "you know, there's just one guy missing here."

I told him i knew it too. Also told him I was just so greatful that I had the company of that missing hunters dad and son, told him I know there is nothing we can do about him being gone but I was just so glad for what I had in the way of his father & his son to share deer hunting with.

We had a real good time.

Dave

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
quote; My cousin came to topic a few times, it was a good talk. My uncle said at one point during the night as we filled the kitchen table with empties "you know, there's just one guy missing here."

He was there Dave. Maybe not in body but you can bet the bank he was there....

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
sure felt like he was there, he surely would have brought the whole event one notch higher on the fun meter!!

that big laugh, but you're right. it felt like he was there.

Something clever here.

Page 19 of 1,842 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmCreedmoor, 007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.