Print Thread
Hop To
W
wpayne Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I was lucky enough to find a Rem 600 in 308 in good shape over the winter and I'm finally thinking towards what I want to do with it. As the 600s are a bit less common, custom builds on them are as well. I'm left with some questions.

My goal is a light weight, handy, moderate range rifle for deer hunting in the KY/TN. I've all but decided on either a 250 or 250AI, though the 6BR has crossed my mind. The plan is to shoot 75gr bullets nearly exclusively; V-Max and XFB. I'd like a barrel of contour similar to a model 7 or thereabouts cut at somewhere around 20". Short and handy...

Now to the questions.

Stock... It will be a McMillan (or course) and I'm liking the look of the Hunters Edge pattern, and the attributes of the Edge construction. Does anyone know if they do the edge in the 600? Are waits for stocks with the 600 inlet significantly longer?

Bottom Metal... I know the plastic bottom metal has to go but what are my lightweight options? I'd prefer an ADL setup if that's possible. Seems like Stick's pink 25-284 had this setup but I can't dig up posts on how he accomplished this.

Scope Mounts... Keeping with the lightweight theme what can I do here? It would appear that I'm stuck with a 1pc base but I'd love to hear any alternatives. All my other sporter rifles have either Leupold DDs or Talley LWs. Any luck in keeping with that trend?

Any pics of custom or semi-custom 600s for inspiration are appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as the stock patterns available for the 600's, Dick at McMillan once told me in an email that basically any pattern suitable for use with a 700 would also work with a 600. Don't know about the wait.

The stock can be inletted to use a 700 ADL guard in the reverse position. There will not be a place for the front screw to the guard, but the rear screw alone will hold in place just fine. Some even cut down a front screw so that a "c-clip" can be placed on top of the triggerguard holding the shorty screw in place, just for looks.

Lastly, the 600/660 recievers can be drilled and tapped for a second base hole in the rear bridge, just like a Model 7. This allows any two-peice bases made for the Model 7 to be used on your 600, including the Talley lightweight aluminum setup.

Good luck with your project, I've got a similar action that I have been scheming on for a while, so I had already done some of the homework.

JP

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What JPRO said, I have 3 on MR pattern, one in edge tech. Lok in Rifle blueprints you will see my 7-08.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How about a 25Souper. An easy wildcat. I have two wildcats built on the 600 action. A 308x1.5 Barnes and a 25CCR. Both shoot very well.Rick.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I built one in 6BR which was under 5 pounds bare a couple years back. I used a Bansner stock but a Mcstock would work as well. I welded on a different handle. I modified a 700 trigger to located the trigger about halfway between the 600 trigger and a 700. I used an ADL guard. The rifle shot well as long as it was held. If just rested on the bags, it was bit erratic.
If I was to do the same thing for myself, my first choice would be a 250-3000. Second choice would be a 260 but I would make a 260 to weigh at least 1/2 pound more. GD

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have built two, a .308 and .358 Win. I used a Bansner stock and Bansner makes an aluminum trigger gaurd. I also drilled for the 2nd hole and installed S&K rings & bases made for the 600. Timney also makes a trigger and I put a new shroud and firing pin on them.

W
wpayne Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
All of this is great news. I picked up my 600 without much thought, the only thought I had was that I knew it was light and that I hadn't seen any before (locally). Glad to hear that my impulse can fairly easily be turned into what I had in mind.

It's currently behind a heavy 223AI build on a 700 but I'm thinking I might need to go ahead and order that stock now.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My goal is a light weight, handy, moderate range rifle for deer hunting in the KY/TN. I've all but decided on either a 250 or 250AI, though the 6BR has crossed my mind. The plan is to shoot 75gr bullets nearly exclusively; V-Max and XFB. I'd like a barrel of contour similar to a model 7 or thereabouts cut at somewhere around 20". Short and handy...

have you thought to chamber it in 257 Roberts or 257 AI

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. (Orwell)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guys above are correct - of course. I have one 600 finished and another in the works. The issues I've run into with the first one were simple enough to overcome but you need to know about them up front.

1. The McM stock will not be a drop-in. It will need to be bedded - my opinion anyway.
2. The triggerguard will need attention too. An ADL TG will be turned arounded so that the 600's forward trigger fits. I epoxied mine into the stock and epoxied a cut-off hexhead screw to make it look right.
3. The ADL TG protruded into the mag box area. I had to grind, cut and rebend the bottom of the mag box to get it to fit properly.
4. I have Timney triggers and the wider trigger housing, shoe and safety all needed to be inletted. This will not be an issue with an OEM trigger.
5. If you like Leupy DD mounts, they make a one piece DD 700SA mount. Here is a link... Leupold DD Mount

The above project started out as a 600 in 308 but I turned it into a 7mm-08 with an EDGE in a 700 MR pattern. It weighs a hair over 6 pounds with scope and sling. It is an awesome balanced rifle with a 23" Douglas #1 contour. My other was a 6mm REM that is now a 338FED. It is getting a McSwirly but is exactly like the 7mm-08 except it has a Douglas #2 contour.

BTW, DickD mentioned a possible deal with Williams to make a BDL triggerguard for a 600. Any update on that from him or our resident Williams expert?

RH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Bansner is drop in along with his trigger gaurd.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Rem model 7 in 7mm BR Stainless action if you are interested, 21" bbl. See ad in classified.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know you didn't ask, but a short barrel and a 22-250 shooting heavy bullets, I think the 243 or 6mm offers more flexability and more performance while doing the same thing.

those 600's are neat actions, and very light, I think many overlook them for a lightweight build

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

To correct my earlier post, it is a 21" barrel vice 23". I will also try to get a pic posted of both my 600s posted today.

I would go with either a 257 Bob or a 25 Souper. Douglas, PAC-NOR and others make a Remington Mountain Rifle contour which is what the Model SEVEN uses. If it were my build it would be a 25 Souper for ease of brass (308) and good velocities. I would get a Douglas in a 21" Mtn rifle contour, Timney trigger, Replace shroud/firing pin, Williams ADL TG, all wrapped in a McM EDGE Compact with a 1/2" Decelerator pad. That's just me though. I

If your shooting P. Dogs, the barrel is going to heat VERY fasy. If its a slower rate of fire, you'll be OK.

RH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (7mm_Loco, 257_X_50, AKislander, AdventureBound, 13 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,069
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.