Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had a grand total of one Titan. It is the 1.5x6 30mm, made in Japan kind. I bought it when I couldn't afford anything else and it has done everything that I've asked. As already stated, huge and heavy, it tracks very well and it worked pretty well for hunting coyotes at night. For the last two years it has been riding on a Marlin Guide Gun owned by the son of a close friend. That gun has killed more scopes than critters. The kid took a 4x4 mulie last week with it so the Titan must still be ticking.

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kind of reminds me of how people think of bushnell. The elites are some of the best optics for the money out there. But you still get these small minded guys who say oh no I wouldn't put a bushnell on anything, probably thinking that bushnells are the ones you buy at walmart above the rifleman mounts for $29.99.
I have 14-15 elites and 6 leupolds in the VX-II, FX-II, and VX-III variety and the elites to my eyes have blown them away. I wouldn't be afraid of a titan. May not be my first choice, Zeiss, 4200's, and meopta's usually are but anyone can contract out to have killer scope made.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chrome
I've owned three Titans, and wish I had them back. Tasco attempted to run with the big boys. They contracted out the scope from one of the top optic companies in Japan. They made one mistake and put there name on it.
They are well made, big and heavy. I'm talking about the 30mm models and they are several steps ahead of the World Class models.

This is correct. They are very good scopes for the money. Clear, sturdy, but big. Made in Japan by Hakko.

The Titan should have never been labled Tasco. You will spend a lot of money before you find anything substantially better. They are finding a cult following which is reflected by the prices and # of bids you see on Ebay these days.

If you find one Made in China, it is not the same scope. Euroclass and Titan are very good, Euroscope is ????????? at best.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The new Titan label has been applied to what is like the old World Class.

The original Titan line was 30mm tube, $600.00 scope built by Hakko in Japan.
I have one on a .375 H&H, and know others who have them on .416 Rem mags, etc.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you buy the more expensive and higher quality scopes to start with then you don't feel the need to spend so much time convincing everyone else how great they are.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Higher quality is one thing. More expensive is an empty statement. More expensive is relative. What if an item is more expensive, but of lesser quality?

I have to back VAnimrod on this one.

Everyone can spend there money as they see fit, but I never understood pure "snob appeal".

"Look at me, I have a Zeiss/Aston Martin/wear Armani suits" or whatever for the sake of impressing others is shallow. It reminds me of fine wine, of which I have a nice Bordeaux collection. Is a 1993 Latour better than a 1996 Sociando-Mallet? No, but the Latour has snob appeal.

If I have somebody snooty I want to impress, I can serve them the '93 Latour, which is past its prime from an off vintage. The truth is, $10 bottle of Red Diamond or Rex Goliath is better tasting. An aficionado can taste the difference and discuss the merits. A snob is label driven.

If I tell you that Red Diamond Cab 2004 is a good wine, and outstanding for the money, is that justification, or am I passing along an opinion that others may find valuable?

Perfect example of how more expensive is not always superior.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i tried the titan's twice. never fired around with them.. could not get past the lack of eye relief.. bought a used varix 2 i think and was quite happy... for under or around $200 there are better variables with great glass, weigh a lot less and have much better eye relief..

cant see what there is to gain by getting one but if you get one and really like it hats off to ya'.. i just couldn't see the attraction.... JMO

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
sorry ,do not understand all of your wine mumbo jumbo.guys do not drink wine where I come from. probably more slobs than snobs. Do understand what good optics are though. optics are a very competitive market and that is what sorts the good from the bad by price. May be situations where price does not indicate quality but in optics it does. Every one wants to talk about the human subjective evaluation of the glass in scopes and makes little if any mention of the internals while they are more important to accuracy and reliablilty than the glass.Just indicates to me how valuable those evaluations are. Never hear a schmidt and bender or other high quality optics user say "my scope is just as good as a tasco.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hasn't Tasco been sold since those scopes were built? Wouldn't that put a shooter up the creek if he had a problem with one?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tell you what - you bring the Schmidt and Bender, VA will bring the Titan, and I'll bring the wine. I bet we all learn something around the campfire.

We only need opening day.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by hatari
Tell you what - you bring the Schmidt and Bender, VA will bring the Titan, and I'll bring the wine. I bet we all learn something around the campfire.

We only need opening day.
I'm not sure anybody has that much wine. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have owned Zeiss, Swarowski, Schmidt, Kahles, Hensoldt and a lot of other American, Japanese and other scopes.

My German scopes were all great, but some were not necessary on the rifles I bought, so I sold them off and installed a more appropriate riflescope, or just used the iron sights.

Most people are unable to discern quality in anything, so they buy name brands. Others buy because they want to impress, or fear someone looking down on them, or they think it will make the difference in that fantasy 400 yard shot at a 180 B&C deer at dusk. Very few hunters NEED an 8x56 Zeiss, or most of the other top glass. Just like the big magnums, it is for their insecurities. A good hunter can get it done all day long at 400 yards with a .30-06 and a decent 4x scope, and won't need to do it beyond 200.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'm a fan of the Tasco Euro Class and Titan scopes. I currently have 4, a 1.25-4.5x Titan, a 1.5-6x Titan, a 3-9x42 Euro Class and a 3-12x52 Euro Class. All of these are marked MADE IN JAPAN and are fine scopes.

The 3-12 Euro Class spent time on a 7 STW Remington, no problems. The 1.5-6x Titan lives on a Marlin 45/70 that shoots stout loads, no problems. The other two lead more sedate lifestyles <G>

The Euroscope is junk, made in China.

The World Class scopes are 1 inch tubes, and have nothing in common with the Euro Class or Japanese Titan. When Tasco was pushing the Chinese Euroscope there were some World Class scopes marked Euroscope, but they were easy to spot by the model number which started with "WCxxxxxx"

If any of you run across a Tasco 30mm JAPANESE scope that you don't want, send it my way.

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere, than in any city on earth" ... Steve McQueen
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
now that sounds like a good time.

Last edited by foogle; 11/06/07.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From Chris Farris at SWFA:

The Euro-Class was our idea and we actually named it. This is when tasco was privately owned and had a different mind set, the World Class was still "World Class" and being made in Japan to very high standards. Tasco used several factories all over the orient but their best was in Japan. We had the idea to make a European style scope in Japan and brought our idea to George Rosenfield (then owner of tasco), he liked the idea but was not sure how to accomplish it. We ended up sending them a few Euro scopes to reverse engineer. After a few years....viola....we had a the Euro-Class. It was the best scope tasco had ever made and received well. Tasco had a hard time marketing a higher priced scope along side their bargain basement models and the Euro-Class was dropped because it did not meet their sales projections. The idea was revived later after tasco had made some headway in the market and gained more respect through the success of the Japan made World Class series. The reinvention of the Euro-Class was named the Titan, same concept only updated cosmetics. The Titan was very successful and considered to be one of the best scopes for the money in its time, many customers preferring them over scopes costing 2x more. George sold tasco in 1996 and the new regime cheapened the Titan scope line but maintained the same retail price. Chasing BSA, tasco went to China with most of their production and basically ruined their reputation and the hard earned reputation of the Titan. We have yet to see what Bushnell will do with them as they are the current owners. We plan to have an extensive visit with them at the SHOT show and offer tasco's full line of optics next year.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
SWFA took over the old Tasco Super Sniper line and still sells it as just the "Super Sniper". It is like a Titan in fixed 10x42 or 16x42 AO, with Mil-Dot reticle and 30mm tube, made under an NSN for the Navy SEAL snipers.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Lee24
SWFA took over the old Tasco Super Sniper line and still sells it as just the "Super Sniper". It is like a Titan in fixed 10x42 or 16x42 AO, with Mil-Dot reticle and 30mm tube, made under an NSN for the Navy SEAL snipers.
Tasco won the contract for a short time. They didn't keep it though. I had one of those scopes and quickly understood why. For my money accountants signed that contract and not snipers.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
me too... forgot about that one.. 16x.. was not impressed at all. funny though. they have such a following that i sold it pronto.. dunno'..

woofer

Last edited by woofer; 11/07/07.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 163bc, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 40 invisible), 1,677 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,454
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.