Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
9mm's also have a choice of twist rates, IIRC, a Browning HP has a twist rate of 1-10" and a typical Smith 39-2 had a rate of 1-18 and change. Sorta like the difference between a Colt .357 (1-14) vs. the Smith's 1-18+. I have no idea what the twist rate of current Smith 9mms is, or those of other makers, but I never worried any about twist rates, figuring it was hard enough to hit the target in the right place first, then worry about the other stuff (just like when deer hunting, HITS count, misses don't).

I used to be a heckuva pistol shot, and didn't worry about these piddling things. Still don't. Aim right, shoot right, and get on with your life.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
Originally Posted by jwp475
Burford, in your experience how does twist in a defensive handgun round affect performance?

Typically, faster RPM results in earlier expansion.

Earlier expansion usually causes less penetration.

Twist rate plays a significant part in RPM.

This is my rig (G23.4), and my two preferred carry loads:

No complaints.

GR

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
9mm's also have a choice of twist rates, IIRC, a Browning HP has a twist rate of 1-10" and a typical Smith 39-2 had a rate of 1-18 and change. Sorta like the difference between a Colt .357 (1-14) vs. the Smith's 1-18+. I have no idea what the twist rate of current Smith 9mms is, or those of other makers, but I never worried any about twist rates, figuring it was hard enough to hit the target in the right place first, then worry about the other stuff (just like when deer hunting, HITS count, misses don't).

I used to be a heckuva pistol shot, and didn't worry about these piddling things. Still don't. Aim right, shoot right, and get on with your life.

I was unaware of the earlier Smith 9mms having a different twist than 1:10. Thanks for the info.

With respect to "worrying about these piddling things", sometimes they are piddling, sometimes not. I used to have to worry about them cause it was my job.

Thanks, again, for the info.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: the twist issue, if a combo is accurate, then the twist is sufficient. As to how it affects terminal bullet performance, I AM a Fan of fast twist in rifles for many reasons, and they have a place in say revolvers shooting heavy for caliber slugs in magnum class rounds, assuming your cylinder accommodates said COAL.

All that said, I would have to see expansion test in bullets from typical handgun rounds like a 40 to be convinced there is a difference. I believe the construction has more to do with expansion etc. than anything else.

Personally, I just cannot fathom a meaningful different, at speeds say 1000-1200 fps - in how various twist rates change expansion. Anyone have any solid test info, I will be happy to review it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm feeling a strong urge to order a Gen 5 G23. Some good deals out there right now, well below MSRP. I have the police trade in 22, lots of mags, and a bunch of ammo. My hope is that the recoil reduction will be more to my liking than the Gen 4 G22. The Gen 5 G23 is actually only one ounce heavier than the Gen 4 G22, but who knows. That might provide a noticeable improvement. I'm right on the edge.

PS Of course, if I opted for the G22 Gen 5 instead, that would be a 3 oz increase in weight. Haven't decided.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t see how twist in a handgun makes a meaningful difference in terminal performance. As has been stated, as long as the projectile stable in flight, I would think differences in twist would be essentially undetectable in terms of terminal performance.

1/16 vs 1/10. If your target is 15” thick the slow-twist bullet makes roughly 1 revolution in target and the fats twist one makes 1.5. That’s before slowing down due to resistance. It’s not like it’s in there spinning like a buzz saw or anything.

Even if it makes some theoretical difference I would imagine it is minuscule compared to all the other factors. Heck, most 1911’s are left twist while most non-1911 .45 ACP’s are right twist. Spinning the bullet the ‘wrong’ direction would seem to be a bigger design challenge than the twist rate differences discussed above, yet the same bullets perform well out of both twist directions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck, now you've thrown a wrench in the terminal performance equation! Don't bullet mfg. engineer the skives in bullets for Right Hand Twist?

Ok, that was just a joke.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by K1500
I don’t see how twist in a handgun makes a meaningful difference in terminal performance. As has been stated, as long as the projectile stable in flight, I would think differences in twist would be essentially undetectable in terms of terminal performance.

1/16 vs 1/10. If your target is 15” thick the slow-twist bullet makes roughly 1 revolution in target and the fats twist one makes 1.5. That’s before slowing down due to resistance. It’s not like it’s in there spinning like a buzz saw or anything.

Even if it makes some theoretical difference I would imagine it is minuscule compared to all the other factors. Heck, most 1911’s are left twist while most non-1911 .45 ACP’s are right twist. Spinning the bullet the ‘wrong’ direction would seem to be a bigger design challenge than the twist rate differences discussed above, yet the same bullets perform well out of both twist directions.

I don't speak from theory. While I'm not foolish enough to claim that gelatine is a perfect substitute for tissue, I had enough experience with both to say it is the best that I know of.

Yes, I've seen twist make a difference in the terminal performance of handgun ammunition.

The question of its importance to you is one that only you can answer.

It does make for an interesting discussion, though.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
Heck, now you've thrown a wrench in the terminal performance equation! Don't bullet mfg. engineer the skives in bullets for Right Hand Twist?

Ok, that was just a joke.

Actually, not a joke, at all. Look at some of the fluted, solid projectiles. When I first saw them I asked "What happens if you shoot it from a Colt?".

The Mfg. looked at me and said "Why would it matter"?

"Left hand twist", I said.

Everything matters. The key is in knowing when it matters enough to be a consideration.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless a bullet is manufactured non-symmetric, as in twisted fluting in a given direction, it matters not whether it's shot from a left or right twisted barrel.

If twist really matters on target impact & performance, & I really can't say either way, someone post up some test results in gelatin that shows the difference.

Absence of some controlled testing it's just hypothetical & what someone thinks the observed in tissue damage.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Boy we're really on to something today, ain't we?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Has any ever shot the 135 grain ammunition? Or the 155’s?

I’ve pretty much only shot 165 and 180’s. That’s usually the weights on shelves..

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by viking

I’ve pretty much only shot 165 and 180’s. That’s usually the weights on shelves..

Yes.

You’re not missing anything.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Unless a bullet is manufactured non-symmetric, as in twisted fluting in a given direction, it matters not whether it's shot from a left or right twisted barrel.

If twist really matters on target impact & performance, & I really can't say either way, someone post up some test results in gelatin that shows the difference.

Absence of some controlled testing it's just hypothetical & what someone thinks the observed in tissue damage.

MM

It's not hypothetical, Buford Boone knows what he is talking about, because he has done the research to know.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very interesting thread. Anybody shed some light on the old "one shot stop" criteria where the 357 magnum 125HP was the supposed #1 stopper and that is why the 357 Sig with the same bullet weight was designed? Also, does the Secret Service still use the P226/357? Also, when Gulf War#1 started, virtually ALL the 1911s in layup at the Crane Arsenal (Navy) in Indiana was depleted, by operators in the field. In 2003 during OEF, the SEAL Team deployed with us on JFK either had 1911s or HK 45s (suppressor capable).

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

The 155 grain loads are, in my experience, noticably snappier than 180s; to be expected as they are loaded hotter, notably higher ME levels. In Marshall and Sanow's data (somewhat dated now) The 155 grain load was the only semi-auto ammunition that equaled the 125 gr. .357 for one-shot stops. The .357 Sig did not yet have sufficient data points for it to be included.

I've never used 135 grain loads.

Last edited by DHN; 12/01/22.

Dale

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
For a nice target load, try the 175g cast with 3.7g of tight group, you will be a true believer.

https://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=12

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

It's not hypothetical, Buford Boone knows what he is talking about, because he has done the research to know.
RA! RA! SISBOOOMBA!
SHAKE THOSE POM POMS JWP475!

I just love the forum cheerleaders...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I had a Heinie compensator on my old Delta Elite for awhile, and when I used the brand-new Nosler 135s in that thing, loaded hot, it really made that thing shoot flat, and the front sight rarely moved off the target at any range. The gases behind that little bullet made the comp function to it's best, but damn it was LOUD. Like, .38 Super LOUD, and it was pretty uncomfortable from that aspect. It was a lot of fun, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 5 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.