Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DHN
Originally Posted by viking
Has any ever shot … the 155’s?
The 155 grain loads are, in my experience, noticably snappier than 180s; to be expected as they are loaded hotter, notably higher ME levels. In Marshall and Sanow's data (somewhat dated now) The 155 grain load was the only semi-auto ammunition that equaled the 125 gr. .357 for one-shot stops.
Agreed, though the 155s are fairly comfortable when shot from a relatively weighty 4006. I’ve clocked the 155 Silver Tips at 1200 from the 4” barrel:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

When shot from the lightweight Kahr P40, on the other hand, the 155s can truly be a handful:

Following this target, as I recall, I wasn’t much interested in doing another real soon.

I’ve still got their books, and spoke with Evan Marshall about them on a couple occasions at SHOT Shows.

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Unless a bullet is manufactured non-symmetric, as in twisted fluting in a given direction, it matters not whether it's shot from a left or right twisted barrel.

If twist really matters on target impact & performance, & I really can't say either way, someone post up some test results in gelatin that shows the difference.

Absence of some controlled testing it's just hypothetical & what someone thinks the observed in tissue damage.

MM

It's not hypothetical, Buford Boone knows what he is talking about, because he has done the research to know.
RA! RA! SISBOOOMBA!
SHAKE THOSE POM POMS JWP475!

I just love the forum cheerleaders...

Still the illage idiot. Buford job was test the ammo and tracking in field results

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla
Unless a bullet is manufactured non-symmetric, as in twisted fluting in a given direction, it matters not whether it's shot from a left or right twisted barrel.

If twist really matters on target impact & performance, & I really can't say either way, someone post up some test results in gelatin that shows the difference.

Absence of some controlled testing it's just hypothetical & what someone thinks the observed in tissue damage.

MM

It's not hypothetical, Buford Boone knows what he is talking about, because he has done the research to know.
RA! RA! SISBOOOMBA!

Still the illage idiot. Buford job was test the ammo and tracking in field results
And you are his bitch?
Let him defend himself. Your sideline cheering adds no value.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

MM

RA! RA! SISBOOOMBA!

And you are his bitch?

You think your moronic posts do. Idiot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla
MM
RA! RA! SISBOOOMBA!
And you are his bitch?
You think your moronic posts do. Idiot
Yet another otherwise interesting thread cluttered up with obnoxious insult exchanges.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

MM

I agree with the first sentence in the quote, above. I was just pointing out an extreme example when I posted.

Sentence two, with respect to rate of twist (not direction) I've seen it. I don't have test results as they are all back at my old place of employment - I retired in 2012.

The testing was under controlled conditions.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have 500 of the Nosler 135gr HP’s.
Gonna load them all up with 7.5gr of WSF, and we will see how they shoot. I imagine they will remind me of shooting a 357.
Have 500 of the Nosler 150’s too. Those will be next followed by 180’s, both powder coated cast and XTP’s.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by DHN
Has any ever shot … the 155’s?
The 155 grain loads are, in my experience, noticably snappier than 180s; to be expected as they are loaded hotter, notably higher ME levels. In Marshall and Sanow's data (somewhat dated now) The 155 grain load was the only semi-auto ammunition that equaled the 125 gr. .357 for one-shot stops.
Agreed, though the 155s are fairly comfortable when shot from a relatively weighty 4006. I’ve clocked the 155 Silver Tips at 1200 from the 4” barrel:

When shot from the lightweight Kahr P40, on the other hand, the 155s can truly be a handful:

Following this target, as I recall, I wasn’t much interested in doing another real soon.

I’ve still got their books, and spoke with Evan Marshall about them on a couple occasions at SHOT Shows.
I have a Kahr CW40, basically the same pistol, and yes. it is a bit much if I want quick recovery, although accuracy is very acceptable. I'm not sure the CW40 frame was originally designed for the .40, and especially sceptical about it being for the hotter 155gr. loads. I have decided to use only 180s in it.

The H&K USP and Compact were designed for the .40, then adapted for the 9mm, therefore an acceptably stout design. There is not nearly as much."snap" in it with 155gr. loads. I really like my compact with the 155s.

I've been using a S&W M&P .40 Shield; it's still snappy, but slightly different grip design makes it much better than the Kahr, and S&W says it's designed, not adapted, for the .40. I find it controllable with the 155 gr. loads, though understand YMMV.

Last edited by DHN; 12/02/22.

Dale

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have two 40 Smith and Wesson's. They are nice.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I just ordered 1,000 rounds of PMC 165 gr FMJ. I'm going to give my police trade in Glock 22 a little workout, and see if I can get comfortable with the snappiness. Might try the medium backstrap insert, rather than shooting it without a backstrap insert, and see if that helps any.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
No you don’t

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I just ordered 1,000 rounds of PMC 165 gr FMJ. I'm going to give my police trade in Glock 22 a little workout, and see if I can get comfortable with the snappiness. Might try the medium backstrap insert, rather than shooting it without a backstrap insert, and see if that helps any.

180s to me are more pleasant to shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DHN
When shot from the lightweight Kahr P40, on the other hand, the 155s can truly be a handful.
I have a Kahr CW40, basically the same pistol, and yes. it is a bit much if I want quick recovery, although accuracy is very acceptable. I'm not sure the CW40 frame was originally designed for the .40, and especially sceptical about it being for the hotter 155gr. loads. I have decided to use only 180s in it.
I once tried Speer 180 GDHP “Short Barrel” rounds in my Kahr P40. They were so unpleasant, most of the 20 round box has remained unfired on the shelf for the last couple years. So, I’ve been using the standard 165 GDHPs in my P40, which seems to me just about right, though certainly not for plinking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Esox357
Well, the 180s are certainly pleasant to shoot outa this guy:

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The HK USP pistols in 40 were really good, i think they were actually designed around the cartridge.

Agreed. The HK USP Expert is my favorite.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I don't doubt it. I remember back when I was carrying my three inch S&W Model 13, and I was shooting Magnums at the range with it, I noticed that the 158 grain loads were much more pleasant to shoot than the 125 grain loads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by skeen
grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

What is that thing?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by deflave

What is that thing?

I THINK it's an early Performance Center 4006, with a 5" barrel/slide combo. Back when the Performance Center actually built custom guns. I got to shoot one they built for Tom Campbell when he was on their shooting team (around 1990), and it was a helluva pistol.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,930
Posts18,479,910
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.