Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Bought a Model 70 XTR 300 H&H last year about the time I got covid. Bought it from a CF member, he had never shot the rifle after he got it (local guy to me don't have a reason to doubt him). Rifle is in what I believe is an earlier McMillan stock, I had shot the rifle from the bench single loading. Been hunting it for a couple of days with some feeding issues. Took a look closer today: two piany help.ece bottom metal, magazine box appears to be 264-300 Win mag box (too short). Looks like the inletting will take a longer box, tet the third screw is in the way.

What's the easiest way to fiix the problem? Midway has an extended box? Midwest has 7 STW box? Do I need to find a one piece bottom metal? Thanks for

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Your mag box should look like this one:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There should be no spacer and it will fill the void where the magazine fits. The 7mm rem mag, 300wm, 338wm, 264wm will all have a spacer, like this one:

Also, the middle action screw will not be in the way of a proper length mag box.. No, you do not need a one piece bottom metal.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks. I will take some measurements tomorrow. Question? Not arguing, just confirming, so the magazine box can be long enough even when the screw appears to be the limiting factor to OAL in the magazine box?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The middle screw shouldn't be a limiting factor. The mag box fits inside the machined out section and the screw is outside of the box. It should not even make contact with the mag box. If that makes sense. Like I said, you'll know if the box is the correct one, if it does not have a spacer. Like the one pictured above.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Thanks. I will take some measurements tomorrow. Question? Not arguing, just confirming, so the magazine box can be long enough even when the screw appears to be the limiting factor to OAL in the magazine box?
Correct.. And that "E" box is the correct one also. They've gotten expensive.....$50 on Numrich. Try Midwest Gun Works.

If you can't find one, let me know...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Redneck. I am waiting till the end of next week to pull the rifle apart, this is it's chosen week to get hunted. I could have used it this morning on a NICE 7 point that bedded down about 10 yards from the stand; the only thing that saved him is the two 8-10 pointers I have seen this week that dwarf him.

I played with it a little last night and found that it will feed one down. Also discovered that someone appears to have deliberately kinked the magazine spring, no idea why.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Will the follower have a mark like the E on the magazine box to designate what cartridge it's for?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Thanks Redneck. I am waiting till the end of next week to pull the rifle apart, this is it's chosen week to get hunted. I could have used it this morning on a NICE 7 point that bedded down about 10 yards from the stand; the only thing that saved him is the two 8-10 pointers I have seen this week that dwarf him.

I played with it a little last night and found that it will feed one down. Also discovered that someone appears to have deliberately kinked the magazine spring, no idea why.
The correct spring will have a 'bump' at the bottom, rear end of the lower leg. The HH rounds in M70s were supposed to be 3-down only.. However, by replacing the spring with a standard LA one the owner can get 4-down.. The follower is unmarked.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
tag

You have an ill XTR as well? My 300WBY runs like a swiss watch. Hopefully the OP gets it figured out, as his should as well.. About a month ago, we had a similar thread. We found out the OP's rifle had the wrong parts in it. After correcting this, his ran like it should. The OP in this thread has not even said if his has the correct box. That is pretty easy to check. If it does, I'd make sure the box does not have any unusual bends or kinks in it. Then I'd be checking that spring. Stretch it out a little, re-bend it so the follower stays up as it's supposed to. The spring should keep pressure on the cartridge, so it is easily grabbed by the bolt face. Then it should push the cartridge into the chamber with relative ease. Check to make sure the box does not have pressure on the sides, from the stock. I've seen that create some issues, if the box is bowed in on the sides and the follower does not move smoothly up and down inside the box..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Update: I have an E box. My follower is 3.500 +/-. Need a magazine spring. Mine broke when I opened the floorplate this morning, snapped at the bend on the follower end. Looks like someone had pushed in the back of the box a bit to get the front trigger guard in easier. Straightened the back and cartridges fall through the box easily. Once I find a spring I should be running.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like you got it figured out. Good luck on finding that spring. I wonder if Redneck has one?

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
BSA1917hunter, I think he does. Got a PM into him.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds like you got it figured out. Good luck on finding that spring. I wonder if Redneck has one?
I do. It's ready to ship to him.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I do. It's ready to ship to him.

Good man. My good smith friend is recently retired as well. Now he does a lot of gunshows, selling parts and bull schittin with his buddies. I'll bet you still have a lot of parts as well. Glad to see you can help guys in need like this..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
UPDATE

A big thank you to Redneck. Magazine spring arrived today and is in the gun. 300 H&H and I are about 16 feet up in tree now waiting on the last 30 minutes of daylight to see who walks out on a green field this evening.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, 907brass, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 13 invisible), 15,023 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,913
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.