Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Have a big project at work. Pouring 100-200 yards of every few days, through winter.

Concrete company informed us we may not be able to do that much longer. We used to be able to order a week in advance and have trucks on site. We're no longer guaranteed to get mix until 24 hrs prior to the pours. That really throws a wrench in to a guys project schedule.

I'm calling BS on it and don't think they have the labor to get it to us. They say its because the Mississippi is low and they barges can't get in and the a lot of the cement comes from Russia and China. The origin of the cement has been known for decades. I thought the river deal was coming to and end but maybe not?
...."a lot of the cement comes from Russia and China. "..... this is what happens when you go to a world economy and out scource your products ,and just in time deliveries .. that worked out well at my old factory ...not....

NRA Life Member

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by ldholton
Labor shortage and truck driver shortage not to mention a shortage of decent concrete crews ..

Getting a good concrete crew has been an issue for 25 years. lol

Truth, out of foundation work about 15 years. Needed 12 guys on the payroll just to have 7 show up.

And only one can pass the piss test.

If a guy needs quick little hit to start or end the day...the concrete labors is where ya go. lol

Last edited by tzone; 12/06/22.

Camp is where you make it.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rem shooter
Have a big project at work. Pouring 100-200 yards of every few days, through winter.

Concrete company informed us we may not be able to do that much longer. We used to be able to order a week in advance and have trucks on site. We're no longer guaranteed to get mix until 24 hrs prior to the pours. That really throws a wrench in to a guys project schedule.

I'm calling BS on it and don't think they have the labor to get it to us. They say its because the Mississippi is low and they barges can't get in and the a lot of the cement comes from Russia and China. The origin of the cement has been known for decades. I thought the river deal was coming to and end but maybe not?
...."a lot of the cement comes from Russia and China. "..... this is what happens when you go to a world economy and out scource your products ,and just in time deliveries .. that worked out well at my old factory ...not....

That's not new. It's been coming from there for 100 years.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My brother is a ready mix producer. Cement shortages only allowed him to supply so much yardage a week which wasn’t near enough to keep up with demand.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Or have a drivers license.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We used to have a cement plant locally until about 8 years ago -- so some of it may have come from overseas, but there was local industry here from 1929-2012.

I bet there's some folks that wouldn't mind having a local supplier, now.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From Russia and China? My first reaction was disbelief. Limestone and clay are not rare materials. And it isn't a difficult process. It is very heavy so you'd think transport costs would be huge.

Last edited by grouseman; 12/06/22.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by grouseman
From Russia and China? My first reaction was disbelief. Limestone and clay are not rare materials. And it isn't a difficult process. It is very heavy so you'd think transport costs would be huge.
Guess what country the US imports the most concrete from??
Canada!!!

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No shortage here, we are placing ~700 yds. a week.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Canada!!!

That’s because there is a very large plant in Newfoundland that was built to serve the northeast part of the U.S.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Making cement is very energy intensive, so the price of energy, more particularly natural gas, determines the cost of the cement for the most part.

After the fracking revolution, our natural gas prices are very competitive worldwide. However, I doubt the current labor situation is inspiring anyone to build and operate new cement plants in this country anytime soon.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
NAFTA killed off most of the American bulk cement production. That and onerous environmental regulations. The Bill Clinton NAFTA deal allowed Mexico to step up their heavily polluting cement production and subsequently flood the southwest readymix market with cheap cement. Cheaper than what could be produced here at home. And when Mexico started buying concrete batch plants they could undercut the local market with their cheap and dirty cement. Hundreds of Mom and Pop concrete companies went belly up or sold out.

NAFTA fuqked the American worker big time and this is why we are now at the mercy of foreign suppliers.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Logistics has a lot to do with the current shortage. Rail in particular has struggled to get the cement from the mills to the terminals. As you can imagine, the cost associated with transporting raw and finished materials has gone way up as well. The is certainly a regional component to the shortage. Some areas are ok, some are very short on cement. A lot has to do with the capacity of the plants that serve a given market. All it takes is one plant to break down for a shortage to occur in a pretty large geographical area. A good wet/miserable winter will likely solve some of this. It will allow the producers to build raw material inventory, and allow the rail to get the terminals full.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Canada!!!

That’s because there is a very large plant in Newfoundland that was built to serve the northeast part of the U.S.
There are large plants all along the great lakes. I see the ships coming from Thunder Bay all the time.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by ldholton
Labor shortage and truck driver shortage not to mention a shortage of decent concrete crews ..

Getting a good concrete crew has been an issue for 25 years. lol

Truth, out of foundation work about 15 years. Needed 12 guys on the payroll just to have 7 show up.

If a guy needs quick little hit to start or end the day...the concrete labors is where ya go. lol

trust me the excavation ended things ain't no better trying to find help. find somebody that's got some equipment experience in a valid CDL you just will be looking for a unicorn farting rainbows

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't know about the Mississippi River but I went over the Cumberland this weekend and it is might low.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds like another DNCC success story in action.. thank the DemocRATS....

They screw up anything they can, just so then they claim we need them to administer and oversee it all....

Give 'em more time... they have lots more plans for more and more of it.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Canada!!!
Lots up here laugh

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great Lakes freighters from Rogers City to Duluth? But shipping season will end in a few weeks. There was a USCG cutter working buoys on the Straits of Mackinac yesterday.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Dutch
I bet there's some folks that wouldn't mind having a local supplier, now.

Me included. We do mix in a fair amount of Fly Ash from power plants.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.