Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Please tell me how to work the Ruger redhawk trigger mine is horrible.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Savage57
Please tell me how to work the Ruger redhawk trigger mine is horrible.

Its a single main spring mechanism. Wolff sells reduced power kits that helps immensely, just make sure the caps go pop, EVERY time. The kit comes with three springs.

The trigger group drops out from the bottom; if you know what you are doing, the sear can often be polished. If you don't, there's no shame in spending the money to have the spring and sear gone over by those who do such work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, OP, BE SURE you know what your doing or you may hurt yourself or others!

Am sure you KNOW that, but just a friendly safety reminder when it comes to sears.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I prefer double actions. I really like my S&W M-69.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Many years ago I smoothed a Redhawk up immensely by disassembling the trigger assembly and using Brasso, on a pencil eraser chucked in a drill press. I polished all surfaces that slid past each other. It gave a jeweled appearance and was very smooth. I did NOT touch any sear surfaces. I have done this to several GP 100's also. Wolf spring kits help, too, but I have had failures to fire with light springs when shooting aerial targets especially double action.

IC B2

H
H
I have a dan wesson with 8" 6" 4" and 2" barrel. I love the ability to change barrels and have the cylinder gap as small as I can make it. I've changed the barrels at the range a couple times, but just keep it on the 8" now. You can change the sights also. Someone mentioned the FA83, I have one of those in 454 and if your budget allows, that is the tightest gun you'll get. Great gun.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Daveman
My itch for a new .44 magnum is back. I had been focused on a BFR Single Action several months ago, but have expanded my search. I currently have a Smith 29-2 with an 8 and 3/8 inch barrel, with a red dot scope, and it is a deer-slaying machine. The new one is not going to be scoped, but will be iron sights only. I've limited my search down to a couple of candidates:

BFR, with a 7 and a 1/2 inch barrel. Some folks have suggested the plow handle stock, rather than the Bisley, so I'm leaning away from the Bisley. The BFR is supposed to be quite accurate, and the weight tempers the recoil quite well. A single action would be different than most of my other revolvers. But, it is heavy. I have not seen one in person.

Colt Anaconda, with 6-inch barrel. It's a re-creation of the old classic, with several improvements. I've heard reports of the triggers being everything from awesome to awful. It's the best looking of the three, but also the most expensive.

Smith 629, with a 6 and a 1/2 inch barrel, with the full underlug. My other Smith revolvers have phenomenal triggers, which is important, but this one would provide the least variety from my existing.

Opinions on the one to bring home? Let me know if you have personal experience with these, pro or con. Trying to learn all I can before I pull the literal trigger.

Thanks.

The 44 can take any game in North America with a 250-grain SWC at 1,000 fps. That load doesn't kick very hard, so there's no need for a big, heavy revolver.

So why not a S&W Model 629 with a 4" barrel? The trigger and sights are superb. Options for grips, holsters, speedloaders, and other accessories are off the charts. It's compact enough that you can put it on your belt and almost forget that it's there until you need it. Lots of folks like the Mountain Guns but the standard 4" barrel puts a few extra ounces in exactly the right place, plus S&W made more of the standard guns so they're less expensive and easier to find.

If you just want to a big 44 with iron sights, then anything on your list would be hard to beat.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Two posters above mention having a trigger job done on a new Anaconda. I am having a hard time accepting that I'd need a trigger job right out of the box on a new handgun of that price. Colt should get it right the first time.

This is a tough call. Decisions, decisions...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I love the 44 Magnum. It is a nice handgun.
I have a few.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Two posters above mention having a trigger job done on a new Anaconda. I am having a hard time accepting that I'd need a trigger job right out of the box on a new handgun of that price. Colt should get it right the first time.

This is a tough call. Decisions, decisions...

Agreed

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok, this is what I did, when I was in your situation......
Lj in Alaska..... cool

Attached Images

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by okie john
My itch for a new .44 magnum is back. I had been focused on a BFR Single Action several months ago, but have expanded my search. I currently have a Smith 29-2 with an 8 and 3/8 inch barrel, with a red dot scope, and it is a deer-slaying machine. The new one is not going to be scoped, but will be iron sights only. I've limited my search down to a couple of candidates:

BFR, with a 7 and a 1/2 inch barrel. Some folks have suggested the plow handle stock, rather than the Bisley, so I'm leaning away from the Bisley. The BFR is supposed to be quite accurate, and the weight tempers the recoil quite well. A single action would be different than most of my other revolvers. But, it is heavy. I have not seen one in person.

Colt Anaconda, with 6-inch barrel. It's a re-creation of the old classic, with several improvements. I've heard reports of the triggers being everything from awesome to awful. It's the best looking of the three, but also the most expensive.

Smith 629, with a 6 and a 1/2 inch barrel, with the full underlug. My other Smith revolvers have phenomenal triggers, which is important, but this one would provide the least variety from my existing.

Opinions on the one to bring home? Let me know if you have personal experience with these, pro or con. Trying to learn all I can before I pull the literal trigger.

Thanks.

The 44 can take any game in North America with a 250-grain SWC at 1,000 fps. That load doesn't kick very hard, so there's no need for a big, heavy revolver.

So why not a S&W Model 629 with a 4" barrel? The trigger and sights are superb. Options for grips, holsters, speedloaders, and other accessories are off the charts. It's compact enough that you can put it on your belt and almost forget that it's there until you need it. Lots of folks like the Mountain Guns but the standard 4" barrel puts a few extra ounces in exactly the right place, plus S&W made more of the standard guns so they're less expensive and easier to find.

If you just want to a big 44 with iron sights, then anything on your list would be hard to beat.

Okie John

Okie John is spot on.

I own and/or have owned the Redhawks/ Anacondas, Bisleys, SBHs, etc, as well as a slew of S&W N Frames and would take an S&W N Frame over any for a hunting/packing piece. They will handle heavier loads than are really needed, but a good 240/250 SWC at 1000-1200 FPS is certainly going to do the job for whatever one may run across. Moderate use of heavier loads, such as 300 grain hard cast bullets at 1000-1100 FPS are not going to hurt it either, and you will likely wear out your wrist before you wear out the handgun.

These heavy 300 grain loads at 1100 FPS from a 5" Model 29 are more than sufficient for anything in North America.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Though 95+% of the time a 240 grain SWC will do all that needs done.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
do you use a gas check on those 240 SWC bullets?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
With a proper hard cast bullet, there is no need for a gas check.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
6 inch is too long.

4 or 5 would be better.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
6 inch is too long.

4 or 5 would be better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by okie john

Thanks.

Okie John

Okie John is spot on.

I own and/or have owned the Redhawks/ Anacondas, Bisleys, SBHs, etc, as well as a slew of S&W N Frames and would take an S&W N Frame over any for a hunting/packing piece. They will handle heavier loads than are really needed, but a good 240/250 SWC at 1000-1200 FPS is certainly going to do the job for whatever one may run across. Moderate use of heavier loads, such as 300 grain hard cast bullets at 1000-1100 FPS are not going to hurt it either, and you will likely wear out your wrist before you wear out the handgun.

These heavy 300 grain loads at 1100 FPS from a 5" Model 29 are more than sufficient for anything in North America.

Though 95+% of the time a 240 grain SWC will do all that needs done.
Wouldn't disagree with any of that, Daveman.

I have a pile of 44s, including the ones you're lookin' at. None of them are a bad choice.

Every time I take my 7.5" BFR out, I think to myself, "man, you should have gotten the 5".

My Anaconda 6" shoots fine, out of the box, with no trigger work. But, you know, each to his own and all.

Like Mackay said though, it's hard to beat a 4" or 5" N frame for balance and all 'round great handling.

I suppose, If I could only keep one .44 Mag, it would be the S&W Model 29 in 4". But I sure would miss my 44 Super Blackhawks. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hold the BFR, pass the Model 29. smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

The 5" barrel the perfect balance point of packing and shooting for me. smile

Though a 4" barrel is pretty darn close.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've started hunting with a Ruger Super Blackhawk back in the 70's and acquired a S&W 29 6" after the Dirty Harry movies made them popular ,then a 44 Mag Desert Eagle, a S&W 629 4" and a Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" with a 2x Burris scope....40+ years later if a could keep only one it would be the scoped Redhawk

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (222Sako, 338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 63 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.